Plum District

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014
2.1

Susan Kim

Good opportunity that went bad.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexibility, nice website, resume builder

Cons

They don't pay and the management is all over the place. They go out and hire the most connected moms (professionals) and expect them to work 60+ hours per week with no room for growth. The turnover is incredibly high and these moms leave very disgruntled leaving field sales managers in an endless cycle of hiring/training. They start and stop projects daily and hire and fire daily. This company is not going to be around much longer as funding has run out and they just laid off their entire sales force, save a few for a last ditch effort. Unfortunate because the concept is a good one, but a total sham.

Get your resumes ready.

Regional

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The women I met at PD

Cons

Amazing. They claim to be a company built for moms run by moms. On Friday they fired nearly all their moms. No warning, no true reason, just poof, they were gone. Left a lot of moms in a bad place. The moms who truly built the company are gone! They called 2 moms and fired them the night before Mothers day. Wow, make moms day. The CEO is a fraud, and about as cold as an icecube. Buyer beware, they are almost out of funding.

Revolving door / Frequent job eliminations / Strongly not recommended

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home office / remotely
    Generous vacation

Cons

They started out hiring a regional manager for each market in which they wanted to source local deals. They attracted accomplished sales talent, wooed them away from great jobs, to only eliminate their jobs in most case less than a year later. They seem to be fumbling around trying to get the model right to make a buck and pacify their investors. It's really one bad decision after another and, in the process, people are getting dismissed at whim. It's a volatile, unstable environment at it's very best.

All of the regional manager positions have now been eliminated so what they were building their reputation on - that local, connected-in-the-community mom - is now gone. Either they don't know what they're doing or they are cold and calculating. And, the message is all buttoned up in a simple, "We're re-organizing" each time a cut occurs.

You can see for yourself. Just do a simple search on LinkedIn and you can see how many used to work there. Don't kid yourself in thinking they were eliminated due to performance either.

No job security
    Jobs eliminated with no notice (dozens of salaried sales management jobs eliminated)
    Markets closed with no notice
    Many co-workers worked here for less than a year (even as little as a few days) to have their jobs eliminated
    No severance pay
    Comp plans unfavorably changed at whim
    Poor communication
    Deals don't sell well for the most part so commissions are extremely low

Have some dignity and respect for people and stop hiring people when you know you're not going to employ them for long
    Get it together, create a good plan that will work, review it, put it down and come back later to review again, make tweaks, then and only then implement and stick to it - stop with the knee-jerk reactions

Stay Clear!

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The concept is brilliant! There is no doubt that Moms are a very powerful buying force ... and even more importantly are a hugely untapped brilliant work force!

Cons

The beliefs and mantra of the company (FOR MOMS. BY MOMS.) is only skin deep. They only care about bottom like and disregard completely the fact that any success they have experience can be completely contributed to the Moms in the field working their connections. They eliminated jobs over Mother's Day weekend - enough said!

You have forgotten that the heart of your company is the moms out in the field! Yes ... we are powerful in our buying, networking and loyalty. But do us wrong and disrespect us ... we can become just as damaging as we can be valuable to your growth!

Had All the Potential in the World

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people you will work with are AMAZING! I truly developed incredible relationships inside and outside of the office.

Cons

Things are constantly changing. It's a startup that has been funded by a board of investors. The company has not had a break even month to my knowledge and so the board continues to dictate changes to compensation, benefits and more in an effort to cut their costs so that eventually they will at least be able to not lose money. However, that can be quite detrimental to the existing staff.

Treat your staff as if they are your teammates in achieving profitability and reward them for the hard work they are putting into getting you there. Just a simple "You're doing great!" or "Thanks for working so hard" can go a long way!

Old leadership was awful. I hope the new leadership can turn it around.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun people, cool office, catered lunches, most people are smart

Cons

The daily deal industry is tanking, so it makes no sense to join a company in that space. People are lied to and held in the dark. Leadership is very secretive.

Again, I worked under the old CEO and leadership team, but it was not a well run company. I hear the new CEO is better but it's still a dying industry. I would avoid it.

Exhausting with little reward.

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, work-from-home position. Loved to meet with the local business owners.

Cons

Crazy, stressful environment with insane stipulations from leadership.

Treat your employees with respect.

Learned a ton. Left disappointed.

Former Employee - Home Office in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Home Office in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Plum District you were never bored. There was always more to do than you had time to do it in. Regardless of how long you'd been there you had a chance to contribute.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours - seeing colleagues online working at midnight was routine, as was getting work texts at 11:30pm. Mid-to-low pay, especially for the hours. Management was terrible at motivation and worse at transparency. Employee burnout was a constant.

I feel like I work for free, that my talents are being used and abused. Husband says this isn't a job, it's a hobby. Ha

Current Employee - District Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Plum District as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, No sales quotas or pressure to produce

Cons

You don't get paid for your hard work leading up to the sale. Then, your deal you sold runs and not too many people buy, you are left with not much of a reward for your hard work

Offer DCs full time positions, pay them what they are worth

Inconsistent

I have been working at Plum District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, low pressure sales, ability to work from home, offers moms a good work/life balance while using skillset.

Cons

Decrease in commission structure, you are required to not only sell and close a deal but then you are only paid if your offer sells in your area which does not always happen.

Maintain clear and consistent rules and regulations in all areas.

Plum District Photos