Plum Market Reviews

1. Team member

Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Lots of opportunity. Management is not only supportive, but takes the time to help develop your career. The team leader group works very well together and is very supportive.

Cons

We have several 'bosses' sometimes it's difficult to take constant direction from so many people.

Advice to Management

I have been very happy with my management. The executive team to store leadership has been very accessible, and enables me to take ownership of my team.

Falling apart

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are generally passionate about what they do and work very hard. Many long term friendships have come out of my time at Plum. I learned a few new skills.

Cons

Management is a joke. They spend more time chatting about sports and movies than managing anything. Employee turn over is at an all time high with many good people with years with the company under their belt jumping ship. It's been a rough couple years and the future looks bad without some serious change.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees about their work. Give your employees feedback (good or bad). Don't leave so many people in the dark.

Best coworkers ever

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love love love my co workers. Even when it's the worst day ever at work, they tend to make it slightly more bearable. They are also super flexible with scheduling and encourage going to school, making it easier for team members who want an education. I also do enjoy getting paid vacation time.

Cons

I would definitely say that upper management is a huge problem. They seem to want to yell at you and berate you for everything but never actually want to learn what it is you're doing. How you manage to become store leadership without understanding your departments, I don't know, but it happens. I believe it is the actions of the management team and the fact that the customers are just strait up awful needy entitled people with no respect for fellow humankind is the reason they see such a high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Calm down. Respect your employees, they pay your bills.

5. Line cook

Pros

Friendly work environment, great place to work

Cons

There are none, everyone is doing a great job

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Great people, management needs work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

Pros

The market is full of very unique individuals, all the coworkers are very awesome but the management staff needs alot of work.

Cons

The management system doesn't seem to know what's really going on in their departments. It seems that every thing is done by favoritism. They expect you to go above and beyond instead of appreciating when you do.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together, there needs to be much more communication from the top down. I loved the place when I started but have had a total change of heart since

Fantastic coworkers, Pay is shot and CEO rake in the money

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love everyone I work with. While non of us have exactly regular schedules, I always have a great time at work, getting to talk to my coworkers. For the most part everyone is friendly and if you just say hello, they will open up to you and accept you into their arms. Young and very humorous crowd.

Cons

They pay barely above minimum, while charging exorbitant amounts of money for the food they sell. All that money must be going to the CEOs. Oh, and their raises are a joke. I have been told multiple times that I am the best at what I do (Cashier's Assistant), and recently got my review... a whopping 25 cent pay raise. The overturn rate for employees is fairly high because of this.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more! We deserve it, and you might be able to keep more of us if you paid us well enough. It's not for lack of money.

8. first job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great location to work at

Cons

Provide more opportunities for growth.

9. Great employees, confused management.

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Bloomfield Township, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get 50% off of prepared foods during your lunch break, which is nice as it is expensive. After a year you get paid vacation. They offer health insurance. Most of the employees are great people.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to communicate with each other. The turn over rate is insane, even amongst the higher ups, especially in the kitchen and up front. They tend to higher people without much common sense so that you and the team members who have brains look at each other all day and continually ask "What the heck is wrong with these people?" Most costumer service jobs tend to put you with the worst customers, but Plum is smack dab in the middle of the well to do who look at you as if you have no education to speak of and you're nothing but the hired help.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other before you pass on commands so that everyone is on the same page. Plan better so things run more smoothly. Remember that your employees are the reason you still have a job, so don't ignore them when you walk by them. Say hi, don't just look over their heads. That goes for the owners as well. And quit hiring people who have no idea how to follow a simple order.

10. Plum Market

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the co-workers are nice. The store is very clean. You get half off your lunch. It's a job.

Cons

They give you too much work and the are upset that you can't do it. Low pay high demands no room for many people to advance.

Advice to Management

Focus not just on guests but also the people who work for you. Reward good work.

In essence, a family run market. A crazy, dysfunctional, paranoid, unlikable family,

Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

Pros

Good hours, good grocery concept.

Cons

Seriously dislikable owners. Think Arrested Development without Jason Bateman.

Advice to Management

What could be advised? The owners are the issue, and they will not change,

RSS Feed </> Embed