Plum Market Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Matthew Jonna

Growing company with accessible leadership

I worked at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair wages, employee discount, great co-workers. Company leadership is accessible and extremely adept. Company has good values, and advancement is available for any level employee with hard work and determination. Training and educational resources are available.

Cons

Benefits are on the skimpy side with high deductible, high cost insurance plan. A growing company sometimes focuses resources on the next venture and leaves the current business a little dry. Overall, far more positive than negative.

2. I don't feel like a number anymore.

Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am allowed to be creative. The owners listen to my ideas and sometimes implement them. The Team Members are special. They care about the world they live in and work in. Our guests are also special.... Lot's of foodies, people looking for a healthier lifestyle or people who have a special needs diet. It's fun. We get to educate our guests and they educate us right back. We support Local businesses and are always looking to stay on the edge of the food revolution. Working here has allowed me to raise my kids in a healthy, balanced way and it has also allowed me to come to work and do what I LOVE to do. Plum is passionate about changing the way people eat and about being a great place to work. I love it.

Cons

The cons are like with all retail establishments, we are busy everyday. We work weekends and Holidays, which can keep us alway from our family at those times. Oddly enough though, the busy Saturdays and Holidays can be some of the most fun days to work. Our Team Members and our guests really enjoy working together to create memorable meals for those events.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing..... looking always to improve, grow and get better. A lot of us wish to retire with Plum and we look forward to all our business ventures.

A company with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been impressed with how well store management has their employees' backs. The customers can be nasty but every encounter I've had or seen someone have has left me pleasantly surprised after upper management gets involved. I'm extremely impressed with how quickly you can grow in the company. There are at least 4 new stores in the works and Plum is extremely focused on internal promotion. They really stick by that too. They have a pretty open policy on trying their food so you can understand it better. Don't get me wrong, it's expensive and you'll never be able to afford shopping there, but you learn a lot about what the upper class eats.

Cons

Nepotism. There are people there, literally, because they can't be fired, not because they're good at their job. Disorganization. Plum is a new company and new SOP's are being dreamt up every day. It gets confusing but it's also really neat because, in such a state of flux, you can have direct influence on the way the company's run just by suggesting things and being motivated.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be clearer. I've seen 3 of your best ground level employees leave or nearly leave because they communicated something and no response was given to them in a reasonable time. Middle management could use some strengthening. Honestly overall, it's a great company. I'm so proud to work for them and can't wait to see where I'll go with them!!

5. Team member

Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Lots of opportunity. Management is not only supportive, but takes the time to help develop your career. The team leader group works very well together and is very supportive.

Cons

We have several 'bosses' sometimes it's difficult to take constant direction from so many people.

Advice to Management

I have been very happy with my management. The executive team to store leadership has been very accessible, and enables me to take ownership of my team.

Great work environment though management needs a lot of work.

Pros

Co workers are great and they are dependable.

Cons

Management is not the greatest

Advice to Management

They need to learn to be more approacheable.

7. first job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great location to work at

Cons

Provide more opportunities for growth.

A fine place to work, but not a place you want to stay

Pros

Good co-workers, and a positive overall work culture. People are excited to shop there, and if you're enthusiastic in engaging them they're enthusiastic back. Some entitled customers, but if you keep your head down when they're mad the management will give them a gift card to keep them happy and everyone will be fine.

Cons

Management isn't very receptive to feedback, and it's a lot of family in management positions. It's kind of a situation where it's the upper management against the workers, but that's hard to avoid in the grocery industry.

Advice to Management

Stop employing your family as senior level managers, hire from within, you have good people on the front lines and you instead decide to hire your former family friends. It doesn't make sense to me, and will inhibit your growth...

It's been good mixed with not so good. Overall, this is a growing company with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I want to run operations at some point and I see a future here. The benefits are decent and the future opportunities to learn new skills are good. I hope the same is true about management positions. Also, there is great diversity of employees. Really, quite above average when it comes to diversity.

Cons

It's unclear whether they appreciate folks that want to learn or grow in their careers. There is no HR department and no clear guidance for new employees about benefits, policies and assistance with work related problems.

Advice to Management

I think Team Leaders need more guidance on how to train, how to hold employees accountable, how to run reports and measure P & L.

10. Great employees, confused management.

Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Current Employee - Prepared Foods Team Member in Bloomfield Township, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get 50% off of prepared foods during your lunch break, which is nice as it is expensive. After a year you get paid vacation. They offer health insurance. Most of the employees are great people.

Cons

Management doesn't know how to communicate with each other. The turn over rate is insane, even amongst the higher ups, especially in the kitchen and up front. They tend to higher people without much common sense so that you and the team members who have brains look at each other all day and continually ask "What the heck is wrong with these people?" Most costumer service jobs tend to put you with the worst customers, but Plum is smack dab in the middle of the well to do who look at you as if you have no education to speak of and you're nothing but the hired help.

Advice to Management

Talk to each other before you pass on commands so that everyone is on the same page. Plan better so things run more smoothly. Remember that your employees are the reason you still have a job, so don't ignore them when you walk by them. Say hi, don't just look over their heads. That goes for the owners as well. And quit hiring people who have no idea how to follow a simple order.

Fantastic coworkers, Pay is shot and CEO rake in the money

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love everyone I work with. While non of us have exactly regular schedules, I always have a great time at work, getting to talk to my coworkers. For the most part everyone is friendly and if you just say hello, they will open up to you and accept you into their arms. Young and very humorous crowd.

Cons

They pay barely above minimum, while charging exorbitant amounts of money for the food they sell. All that money must be going to the CEOs. Oh, and their raises are a joke. I have been told multiple times that I am the best at what I do (Cashier's Assistant), and recently got my review... a whopping 25 cent pay raise. The overturn rate for employees is fairly high because of this.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more! We deserve it, and you might be able to keep more of us if you paid us well enough. It's not for lack of money.

RSS Feed </> Embed