Plum Market Reviews

Positive and Progressive work environment

Current Employee - Cashier  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for Plum was a truly wonderful experience. The work place was fast paced, highly energetic, and uplifting. I learned so much about the food industry. . Not only is the pay great, employees also receive a 15% discount on purchases. Everyone I work with from upper management to the team members take extreme pride in doing their job well. I also learnt a great deal about healthy living and food selection.

Cons

As with most retailers, you may end up working some holidays

I don't feel like a number anymore.

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am allowed to be creative. The owners listen to my ideas and sometimes implement them. The Team Members are special. They care about the world they live in and work in. Our guests are also special.... Lot's of foodies, people looking for a healthier lifestyle or people who have a special needs diet.

It's fun. We get to educate our guests and they educate us right back. We support Local businesses and are always looking to stay on the edge of the food revolution.

Working here has allowed me to raise my kids in a healthy, balanced way and it has also allowed me to come to work and do what I LOVE to do. Plum is passionate about changing the way people eat and about being a great place to work. I love it.

Cons

The cons are like with all retail establishments, we are busy everyday. We work weekends and Holidays, which can keep us alway from our family at those times. Oddly enough though, the busy Saturdays and Holidays can be some of the most fun days to work. Our Team Members and our guests really enjoy working together to create memorable meals for those events.

Keep doing what you are doing..... looking always to improve, grow and get better. A lot of us wish to retire with Plum and we look forward to all our business ventures.

Growing company with accessible leadership

I worked at Plum Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair wages, employee discount, great co-workers. Company leadership is accessible and extremely adept. Company has good values, and advancement is available for any level employee with hard work and determination. Training and educational resources are available.

Cons

Benefits are on the skimpy side with high deductible, high cost insurance plan. A growing company sometimes focuses resources on the next venture and leaves the current business a little dry. Overall, far more positive than negative.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plum market is an excellent company with an enjoyable work atmosphere. Fellow employees feel more like family than co-workers. The management is very helpful and supportive in helping you to grow as an employee.

Cons

The hardest part would be satisfying demanding customers

A fine place to work, but not a place you want to stay

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

Good co-workers, and a positive overall work culture. People are excited to shop there, and if you're enthusiastic in engaging them they're enthusiastic back. Some entitled customers, but if you keep your head down when they're mad the management will give them a gift card to keep them happy and everyone will be fine.

Cons

Management isn't very receptive to feedback, and it's a lot of family in management positions. It's kind of a situation where it's the upper management against the workers, but that's hard to avoid in the grocery industry.

Stop employing your family as senior level managers, hire from within, you have good people on the front lines and you instead decide to hire your former family friends. It doesn't make sense to me, and will inhibit your growth...

A good job for a high school student

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

Vibrant coworkers and the work is at times engaging.

Cons

Management has their own ideas and will not take your advice critically.

Be open to everyone's insight and deliver a more sound approach to your employees.

The wheel is turning...but the hamsters are dead.

I worked at Plum Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I made a lot of great friends at Plum. I still talk to many of them. I met many great people while working for them. I learned a lot as well about the product I was selling, but that was mainly due to my own desire to learn and grow, not the company's desire for me to learn.

Cons

Upper management is all over the place. While working at one store I was called a "b*tch" by someone in upper management who never took 5 minutes out of his busy day of talking football stats with the other dudes in the store to actually talk to me. Now he runs that store. At the other store I worked for an ineffective, socially stunted and slightly sociopathic manager. When taking my complaints to him, or even just seeking advice, 9 times out of 10 I left shaking my head with frustration with nothing done to change things and nothing to give me the power to make a difference.

There is no consistency when it comes to performance, reviews or discipline. To have a year where your department is the highest comping department in the company, only to be give a $150 gift card TO THEIR OWN STORE is crazy. Just crazy. In this economy and industry, when you comp double digits you pretty much rock. But don't expect your managers to tell you that or to even pat you on the back.

While the idea of working for a company that was locally founded, sold many local products and seemed to have a good culture as a foundation was appealing to me. However, the level of stress that comes with getting 5 different directions thrown at you from 5 different managers was too much to handle.

The owners are hot headed and, at times, irrational. Yet they provide no incentive to do well. No reason to want to do better. Unless you are a family member or close personal friend of course. Nepotism runs high at Plum.

Pay attention to your employees and their moods. Listen to their concerns and address them. Keep a consistent focus on what is to be expected of your employees. And when those expectation are high (which they always are) compensate accordingly. Don't be surprised when the people who are doing their best all of a sudden up and leave you for greener pastures.

Bakery Team Leader

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

Several great co-workers, good discount on groceries

Cons

While I was an employee, I saw numerous managers come and go in all departments. I became a manager because mine was fired. One week later, the director was fired. The person that took their place was no more qualified than any other person that ever gets hired there. I was constantly put in position with no direction, no guidance and most times, not even in contact with the director.

I was given several performance reviews, and at each was commended for doing a great job. I was told that I was one of their strongest employees on more than one occasion and one of my many bosses called me a "great asset to the company." One week later I was fired.

Every decision about firing was based on gossip from other co-workers. All the hiring was done from craigslist. Management has no discretion about whom they hire, for any department. I trained at least 6 people in my department in as many months. All of them either quit or were fired.

Don't ever leave Plum Market because the things that you do there would never be tolerated anywhere else.

worst management job I ever had

Former Employee - Bakery Director  in  Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with a handful of great people who unfortunately tend to be overqualified and under-appreciated in their roles.

Cons

Poor benefits, volatile owner/management, inconsistent demands and expectations, no feedback given regarding performance.

I've worked some "hot heads" in my day, I was in the restaurant industry for several years and worked for corporate cronies after that. But, this place takes the cake. I was even asked in my interview if I could handle working for a demanding and sometimes irrational boss. I thought I had seen it all so I said "yes."

I was a department Director between 3 different location and was constantly told by the owner how great the management team that was handed to me was. However, I found them to be whiners and complainers who had no business in a leadership role of any kind, nor were they interested in solving their own problems or being mentored. I was constantly baby-sitting these these kids and trying to resolve their issues with their own employees. It was something akin to being a Resident Advisor at college. "He said this....she did that"

They constantly expected me to do half of their job in addition to my own. I have been mentoring managers for years and was expecting to do so in this role, but no matter how much I tried, they refuses to learn or grow professionally. One of them consistently picked fights with one of our most important vendors on a regular basis. The manager before me spent way too much time with them outside of work socially and coddled them on the job because they were friends. I was told repeatedly by the owner who hired me that behavior like that was NOT to continue.

The owner always told me I was doing a good job. I never had a performance review or got feedback that I was struggling to live up to the expectations or demands of my position. After they fired the only HR person in the company (he was "unnecessary," even though he was the only one with a clue regarding HR), they assigned an Assistant Store Manager to oversee employee relations. I approached her about a 6 month performance review I was promised when I accepted the job. She said she would take it up with the owner. I never got it, but was let go 3 months later.

I was somewhat happy to leave, since the last time I saw my immediate supervisor, the owner, was when he was loudly berating minimum wage employees for not doing things his way quickly enough after they had all been working 8+ hours on the busiest day of the year, Christmas Eve. I was shocked by his behavior and over the holidays considered making an escape. However, when I returned to work after the holiday, the same aforementioned Assistant Manager called me to come to another location an hour away for an emergency meeting. It was there, without the presence of my supervisor and the one who hired me, that I was let go with no reason. Fired by a person I had never reported to while the owner hid in his office.

Try to be more professional. Give solid feedback, if people in management positions cannot handle REAL feedback, they are probably not qualified to manage.

I have little respect for the management. It makes it difficult for me to work there.

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

I have some great coworkers

Cons

Management lacks respect for the employees that they are paying meager wages to.

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!