Plum Market

Positive and Progressive work environment

Current Employee - Cashier  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for Plum was a truly wonderful experience. The work place was fast paced, highly energetic, and uplifting. I learned so much about the food industry. . Not only is the pay great, employees also receive a 15% discount on purchases. Everyone I work with from upper management to the team members take extreme pride in doing their job well. I also learnt a great deal about healthy living and food selection.

Cons

As with most retailers, you may end up working some holidays

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plum market is an excellent company with an enjoyable work atmosphere. Fellow employees feel more like family than co-workers. The management is very helpful and supportive in helping you to grow as an employee.

Cons

The hardest part would be satisfying demanding customers

My experience at Plum Market has been educational.

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking to stay in a lower level position then Plum is great for temporary employment.
    Great people to work with.
    Hours
    Food
    Discount
    Snacking

Discount
    Management
    Pay
    Benefits

Advice that I have for the management is to be clear and communicate. Make daily reminders for themselves to make communication better. Come to work on time. Say Good Morning and mean it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fine place to work, but not a place you want to stay

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

Good co-workers, and a positive overall work culture. People are excited to shop there, and if you're enthusiastic in engaging them they're enthusiastic back. Some entitled customers, but if you keep your head down when they're mad the management will give them a gift card to keep them happy and everyone will be fine.

Cons

Management isn't very receptive to feedback, and it's a lot of family in management positions. It's kind of a situation where it's the upper management against the workers, but that's hard to avoid in the grocery industry.

Stop employing your family as senior level managers, hire from within, you have good people on the front lines and you instead decide to hire your former family friends. It doesn't make sense to me, and will inhibit your growth...

I don't feel like a number anymore.

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am allowed to be creative. The owners listen to my ideas and sometimes implement them. The Team Members are special. They care about the world they live in and work in. Our guests are also special.... Lot's of foodies, people looking for a healthier lifestyle or people who have a special needs diet.

It's fun. We get to educate our guests and they educate us right back. We support Local businesses and are always looking to stay on the edge of the food revolution.

Working here has allowed me to raise my kids in a healthy, balanced way and it has also allowed me to come to work and do what I LOVE to do. Plum is passionate about changing the way people eat and about being a great place to work. I love it.

Cons

The cons are like with all retail establishments, we are busy everyday. We work weekends and Holidays, which can keep us alway from our family at those times. Oddly enough though, the busy Saturdays and Holidays can be some of the most fun days to work. Our Team Members and our guests really enjoy working together to create memorable meals for those events.

Keep doing what you are doing..... looking always to improve, grow and get better. A lot of us wish to retire with Plum and we look forward to all our business ventures.

Growing company with accessible leadership

I worked at Plum Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair wages, employee discount, great co-workers. Company leadership is accessible and extremely adept. Company has good values, and advancement is available for any level employee with hard work and determination. Training and educational resources are available.

Cons

Benefits are on the skimpy side with high deductible, high cost insurance plan. A growing company sometimes focuses resources on the next venture and leaves the current business a little dry. Overall, far more positive than negative.

A good job for a high school student

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

Vibrant coworkers and the work is at times engaging.

Cons

Management has their own ideas and will not take your advice critically.

Be open to everyone's insight and deliver a more sound approach to your employees.

Absolutely miserable

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

I love my coworkers, and most of the team leaders.

Cons

I have been working in the grocery business for over. 6 years and have never had such a terrible experience. So far, I have only been working for plum for about 3 months but it feels like an eternity. The upper management is completely disrespectful to hourly employees and the pay is very unsatisfactory. Whole Foods and Trader Joes offer a much better pay rate. I took this job because I was desperate after moving to a new city. I am currently looking for a new job and will be very glad to leave. The rich spoiled owners throw terrible fits and berate workers in front of customers, the experience is very demoralizing.

Therapy, you people have serious issues. Nobody should be this negative all the time. If you do not improve your behavior, employees will not stick with your company.

Undesirable, Unrewarding, Bad Choice.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow team members are great! I've worked with some really amazing people here and made quite a few lasting friendships.

Cons

Expectations and punishments are inconsistent, and based totally on the day to day whims of those in charge. Management is incredibly two-faced and responds mostly to butt-kissing and very little to quality of work. There is very little follow through on promises and new ideas are of no value. I also have been talked to, and heard others talked to in some of the most disrespectful language I have ever experienced from superiors. They try to create dissonance within a team, which they prefer to team members being too close.

Respect your employees, under every circumstance, or they won't respect you. Honor real hard work, and not sucking-up.

The wheel is turning...but the hamsters are dead.

I worked at Plum Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I made a lot of great friends at Plum. I still talk to many of them. I met many great people while working for them. I learned a lot as well about the product I was selling, but that was mainly due to my own desire to learn and grow, not the company's desire for me to learn.

Cons

Upper management is all over the place. While working at one store I was called a "b*tch" by someone in upper management who never took 5 minutes out of his busy day of talking football stats with the other dudes in the store to actually talk to me. Now he runs that store. At the other store I worked for an ineffective, socially stunted and slightly sociopathic manager. When taking my complaints to him, or even just seeking advice, 9 times out of 10 I left shaking my head with frustration with nothing done to change things and nothing to give me the power to make a difference.

There is no consistency when it comes to performance, reviews or discipline. To have a year where your department is the highest comping department in the company, only to be give a $150 gift card TO THEIR OWN STORE is crazy. Just crazy. In this economy and industry, when you comp double digits you pretty much rock. But don't expect your managers to tell you that or to even pat you on the back.

While the idea of working for a company that was locally founded, sold many local products and seemed to have a good culture as a foundation was appealing to me. However, the level of stress that comes with getting 5 different directions thrown at you from 5 different managers was too much to handle.

The owners are hot headed and, at times, irrational. Yet they provide no incentive to do well. No reason to want to do better. Unless you are a family member or close personal friend of course. Nepotism runs high at Plum.

Pay attention to your employees and their moods. Listen to their concerns and address them. Keep a consistent focus on what is to be expected of your employees. And when those expectation are high (which they always are) compensate accordingly. Don't be surprised when the people who are doing their best all of a sudden up and leave you for greener pastures.

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!