Plum Market

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
2.8

Matthew Jonna

It's been good mixed with not so good. Overall, this is a growing company with lots of potential.

Current Employee - Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I want to run operations at some point and I see a future here. The benefits are decent and the future opportunities to learn new skills are good. I hope the same is true about management positions. Also, there is great diversity of employees. Really, quite above average when it comes to diversity.

Cons

It's unclear whether they appreciate folks that want to learn or grow in their careers. There is no HR department and no clear guidance for new employees about benefits, policies and assistance with work related problems.

I think Team Leaders need more guidance on how to train, how to hold employees accountable, how to run reports and measure P & L.

Under 18: minimum and no chance of up

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The workers at plum are really nice and fun to work with. There are a lot of different things to do (bag/push in carts/help guests put their bags in the car/sort bottles/put stuff back if a guest doesn't want it)... which can be a lot to juggle

Cons

Guests can be snobby. If you are 18 or under, the only job available is a cashier assistant, and until you turn 18, you're paid minimum with no chance of a salary increase. Time off requests must be submitted 2 weeks prior, but I have been able to get them to change it just a week prior because they hadn't posted the schedules yet.

A company with a lot of potential

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been impressed with how well store management has their employees' backs. The customers can be nasty but every encounter I've had or seen someone have has left me pleasantly surprised after upper management gets involved.

I'm extremely impressed with how quickly you can grow in the company. There are at least 4 new stores in the works and Plum is extremely focused on internal promotion. They really stick by that too.

They have a pretty open policy on trying their food so you can understand it better. Don't get me wrong, it's expensive and you'll never be able to afford shopping there, but you learn a lot about what the upper class eats.

Cons

Nepotism. There are people there, literally, because they can't be fired, not because they're good at their job.

Disorganization. Plum is a new company and new SOP's are being dreamt up every day. It gets confusing but it's also really neat because, in such a state of flux, you can have direct influence on the way the company's run just by suggesting things and being motivated.

Communication needs to be clearer. I've seen 3 of your best ground level employees leave or nearly leave because they communicated something and no response was given to them in a reasonable time. Middle management could use some strengthening. Honestly overall, it's a great company. I'm so proud to work for them and can't wait to see where I'll go with them!!

Positive and Progressive work environment

Current Employee - Cashier in West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Plum was a truly wonderful experience. The work place was fast paced, highly energetic, and uplifting. I learned so much about the food industry. . Not only is the pay great, employees also receive a 15% discount on purchases. Everyone I work with from upper management to the team members take extreme pride in doing their job well. I also learnt a great deal about healthy living and food selection.

Cons

As with most retailers, you may end up working some holidays

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plum market is an excellent company with an enjoyable work atmosphere. Fellow employees feel more like family than co-workers. The management is very helpful and supportive in helping you to grow as an employee.

Cons

The hardest part would be satisfying demanding customers

My experience at Plum Market has been educational.

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking to stay in a lower level position then Plum is great for temporary employment.
    Great people to work with.
    Hours
    Food
    Discount
    Snacking

Discount
    Management
    Pay
    Benefits

Advice that I have for the management is to be clear and communicate. Make daily reminders for themselves to make communication better. Come to work on time. Say Good Morning and mean it.

A fine place to work, but not a place you want to stay

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

Good co-workers, and a positive overall work culture. People are excited to shop there, and if you're enthusiastic in engaging them they're enthusiastic back. Some entitled customers, but if you keep your head down when they're mad the management will give them a gift card to keep them happy and everyone will be fine.

Cons

Management isn't very receptive to feedback, and it's a lot of family in management positions. It's kind of a situation where it's the upper management against the workers, but that's hard to avoid in the grocery industry.

Stop employing your family as senior level managers, hire from within, you have good people on the front lines and you instead decide to hire your former family friends. It doesn't make sense to me, and will inhibit your growth...

I don't feel like a number anymore.

Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I am allowed to be creative. The owners listen to my ideas and sometimes implement them. The Team Members are special. They care about the world they live in and work in. Our guests are also special.... Lot's of foodies, people looking for a healthier lifestyle or people who have a special needs diet.

It's fun. We get to educate our guests and they educate us right back. We support Local businesses and are always looking to stay on the edge of the food revolution.

Working here has allowed me to raise my kids in a healthy, balanced way and it has also allowed me to come to work and do what I LOVE to do. Plum is passionate about changing the way people eat and about being a great place to work. I love it.

Cons

The cons are like with all retail establishments, we are busy everyday. We work weekends and Holidays, which can keep us alway from our family at those times. Oddly enough though, the busy Saturdays and Holidays can be some of the most fun days to work. Our Team Members and our guests really enjoy working together to create memorable meals for those events.

Keep doing what you are doing..... looking always to improve, grow and get better. A lot of us wish to retire with Plum and we look forward to all our business ventures.

Growing company with accessible leadership

I worked at Plum Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fair wages, employee discount, great co-workers. Company leadership is accessible and extremely adept. Company has good values, and advancement is available for any level employee with hard work and determination. Training and educational resources are available.

Cons

Benefits are on the skimpy side with high deductible, high cost insurance plan. A growing company sometimes focuses resources on the next venture and leaves the current business a little dry. Overall, far more positive than negative.

A good job for a high school student

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

Vibrant coworkers and the work is at times engaging.

Cons

Management has their own ideas and will not take your advice critically.

Be open to everyone's insight and deliver a more sound approach to your employees.