PlusNet

Updated February 23, 2015
3.5

PlusNet CEO Jamie Ford
Jamie Ford

Great Company, punching above its weight in a crowded market place

I worked at PlusNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally fun environment - tough, hard working and professional but I enjoyed the challenges.
    Its a growing business - its creating jobs all the time through its growth which is good for Sheffield.
    Managment are accessible - no-one is standoff ish and will make time to talk. there is a refreshing lack of politics.

Cons

Its owned by BT whose senior people are invisible and pay lip service to Plusnet at times.
    Talent can move on, which is inevitable but could be avoided better through clearer promotion opportunities

Technology is key and needs more investment to keep pace with the market.
    The staff make Plusnet great

Must try harder...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at PlusNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free broadband and phone, shifts are ok for a call centre. The team I worked in were one of the best and I would've left sooner if it wasn't for them. It is the front line call handlers that hold the company together!

Cons

Very happy to put you on a "development opportunity" so you take on more work and responsibility but for the same wage. When it comes to a that open vacancy eventually comes (and be prepared for a long wait), if you can't suck eggs or you're not part of the "club" then get ready to get shafted.
    Management is completely out of touch with its front line work force and understanding the needs of their customers

High level management should try speaking and interacting with their front line staff, even better they should try speaking to their customers and get to understand their needs better.

Appalling support

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at PlusNet (less than a year)

Pros

You get free sandwiches - they are rank but hey its food. It's easy to get to. It's clean and has a smoking shelter!

Cons

Treated like crap. Targeted unreasonably. Get paid wrongly all the time. Change bonuses so you get less and less for more and more work. If you are 2 minutes late you have to work 15 minutes back. If your face doesn't fit you are out for no reason at all! I have warned you.

Sort it out. You hire 30 people and 6 months later half have either left or been sacked. Very high turnover of staff as you do not care as long as it is going your way.

Wouldn't recommend for friends

I have been working at PlusNet

Pros

Friendly environment and trying to implement new technologies and methodologies into the department.

Cons

Small company mentality and lack of professionalism seen in some of the senior employees within the teams which is really disappointing.

Friendly atmosphere, great benefits, good pay for this line of work.

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at PlusNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free parking (if you live more than x miles from city centre), fair bonus structure, genuine feeling of being part of a team. Overall.. as far as a call centre goes, this is about the best it gets.

Cons

Strange way of doing things, military style shift management, if you brown nose management then you are on the road to success, if not then good luck. Managers can simply send a text to book time off as long as they are mates with their superiors.. anyone else has to use a system automated platform for booking time off, managing time.etc As other people have said, personal life means very little if the computer says no.

Just remember how important the front line staff are, a second building was opened partially due to 'running out of people to hire'. Overall a great place to work.. but treat people like idiots, then you will have idiots working for you.

Overall good

Current Employee - IT Services Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Services Manager in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at PlusNet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company mostly cares about the staff and has some good benefits - broadband, phone line, free lunch. Most people are nice and genuinely care about what we do.

Cons

No parking, city centre location. The company has grown a lot and a lot of normal back office functions are forgotten. A lot of people making decisions are ineffective.

There's a lot of meetings, most are being ran by the wrong people, minutes aren't taken and they are disorganised and you come out thinking it was a waste of time and no decisions have been made.

Always moving forward

Current Employee - Network Operations in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Network Operations in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at PlusNet full-time

Pros

Innovative. Generally people are moving in the same direction. Working hours are amazing. and SLT are always available. Though redtape has increased with acquisition by BT, it's still nowhere near as bad as most other companies.

Cons

A bit higgledy piggledy with regards to responsibilities. Small company mentatlity. Fails to bring stuff to market in time (i.e. TV)

Make sure that all departments share common goals other than the basic company ones

Really Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - Customer Support Centre Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Centre Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at PlusNet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working here, all the staff are really down to earth and friendly and I have met life long friends here. The managers are always there to help and are very approachable. I have had health problems and family issues whilst working here and they were very accommodating and any support I needed I got it. There are so many opportunities to progress within the company and make a career. I have worked in customer support, complaints, coaching and now I am seconded as a Team Leader. I have recommended Plusnet to many of my friends and a few of them are now working here, they love it and have also progressed through the company themselves. If you are thinking of applying here I would definitely say go for it, there are so many job roles available and as the company is expanding it's an even better time to apply.

Cons

There are not many cons of working here that I can think of. The main thing is that customer support sometimes can be a challenge but I knew this when I came into the role as I had worked in a customer service orientated job previously. Other than that this is the first job I haven't actually dreaded coming to when waking up in the morning.

Sometimes things are not communicated effectively that really need to be. Better communication with some things would help with everyday issues and work.

Family atmosphere and a common goal!

Current Employee - Advisor
    Current Employee - Advisor

I have been working at PlusNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a genuine feel of family here and they care about the employees. There are some policies that have me scratching my head but these are generally put in place by people who have no idea what we do on the front line. The higher they go, the less they know ;)

Cons

Lack of respect for the front line agents and zero tolerance for illness or personal lives. Bit of a 'boys club' where mates get appointments and the masses stay underfoot.

Get on the floor, listen to your agents and get from behind the higher management shield, they are keeping things from you!

A modern IT company stuck in the past

Former Employee - Faults Analyst in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Faults Analyst in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at PlusNet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has some great emloyee's that you would enjoy working with, a free lunch was also provided which can save a small fortune.

Cons

A completely and utterly ridiculas expectations on work targets. Dont think you will ever be able to have 2 minutes to take breather this place works you to the bone and then some. some nights are expected but this is the nature of the job really. This is certainly a company that if you not wanting to be in the "in crowd" then you really will never progress anywhere.

The management are stuck in the past trying to manage in a very old style approach purely relying on figures rather than actually doing their jobs and managing the people that work there. They really should actually try and look up from the spreadsheets they love to make and spend some time with their staff. They will probably find its far more productive

PlusNet Photos