Plymouth Rock Assurance

Updated October 1, 2014
3.2

Plymouth Rock Assurance President Chris Olie
Chris Olie

A rewarding job within a great office culture in an awesome location.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Very friendly office culture, unlike anything I've seen anywhere else
    - It's very evident Plymouth Rock cares about its employees, with multiple initiatives during my time to show employee appreciation
    - Growing company with lots of opportunity
    - Great location, within a ten-minute walk of the Boston Common, the Charles River, South Station, various stores, and lots more

Cons

- If you commute a long distance and don't want to take the train, this could be a bit difficult. The building is literally across the street from South Station, but parking and driving around this area is pretty hectic during rush hour.

Culture of the Company stuck in the 1900

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance

Pros

Good pay for no work ( depends on the position and title). But pay is good. If you want to just get paid and are happy building a technology debt and marching towards a career death.. this is the place for you

Cons

1. No vision at all. Technology is dated.3. Senior management has been there from the time they were out of college and are not near retirement ... so no vision and there is always a reluctance to move forward... If a senior VP says that the WIKI is a waste of time .. this should tell you something about the company. No training . No work life balance. HR act like they are listening but they do nothing about it . Many were fired because they complained. Its a sweatshop.. No work from home flexibility. No Jeans .. even of Fridays .. very uptight company.

Look around ... Listen to people ...... Understand what you have or do not have.. The talent in the company sucks.

Great location and people, poor pay

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office is located directly across the street from South Station so the location is a huge pro. The department I work in has a very laid back atmosphere and I've met some great people there.

Cons

Without a doubt the biggest con is the salary. They grossly underpay compared to other jobs in the market. My department also leaves little room for growth.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plymouth Rock is a great company if you want to work at a smaller, growing, fast paced company in downtown Boston. Management is friendly, approachable and very smart... they know how to compete with the big players.

Cons

Not as much advancement opportunities compared to the big companies.

Keep on the same path and keep growing.

The actuarial intern is awesome!

Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Actuarial Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People in the actuarial team are all very nice and professional.
    The intern program is well-organized.
    You can get involved in interesting projects in reserving and ratemaking with different mentors.

Cons

Since summer is one of the busiest time for the actuarial team, people may be too busy to interact with you that much.

Maybe improve the coordination among different projects.

Highly motivated and strong employees with great company culture

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees here are mostly welcoming, friendly and not competitive with each other. Everyone seems to see the benefit in helping others and working together which in turn benefits the organization.
    Plymouth Rock offers amazing benefits, better than anywhere else I have seen. The company encourages a high work ethic while in the office but also promotes the importance of work-life balance. The company really goes the extra mile to ensure their employees are happy, which you do not see frequently in the current market.
    Lots of growth opportunities. I have seen many employees move into higher roles in my short time here already. Also there is a structured bonus/raise program based partially on performance and duration of your time at Plymouth Rock.
    The culture is super friendly and most people are outgoing. When I started here, everyone I ran into introduced themselves, from the CEO to the interns. People make an effort to walk over to your desk and talk in person and create a relationship rather than use just email or an interoffice communicator for collaboration efforts.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to push new and different ideas forward at the company. While it usually happens in the end, there is a large amount of resistance that comes with trying to bring company practices up to modern times (for example, replacing a manual process with a technical solution). However, the employees that push hard enough to actually enforce the change are rewarded for their persistance.

Since 2011 PRAC went under the ROCK in New Jersey

Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Wall, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Wall, NJ

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck but since the changes happened within the company, sounded good but it truly is not.

Cons

If you have ANY grips DO NOT speak of them. Watch your suggestions, they are held against you. There is no longer any claims handling but pure investigating. To do 1 new loss could take hours. But you MUST stay current at all times on your diary. You are graded on the entire company's performance, not your own! So 90% of the employees' raises are affected. When they want you out, your gone within 6 months. This is one of the saddest places of employment unless your looking to visit your doctor offen.

Go back to Highpoint days.

too much company politics

I worked at Plymouth Rock Assurance

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

Company politics and no room for career growth

team

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance

Pros

fun team work and stuff

Cons

bad pay and stuff like that

Right mix of larger company resources with smaller company culture. Can get things done here unlike large companies.

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Plymouth Rock Assurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profitable and growing company. Great benefits, easy Boston location (next to South Station), easy to talk to senior management and influence strategy with smart ideas.

Cons

Boston commute can be difficult if don't live close. For folks who want defined career paths and very defined jobs a larger company may be better. Need to be creative and push new ideas. If you do, you will be rewarded.

Stay the course!