Poet - Ethanol Reviews

Poet - Ethanol CEO Jeff Lautt
Jeff Lautt

ok

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time

Pros

close to were i live

Cons

can't have a life outside of working there

What does Einstein say about doing the same over and over and expect a different result?

Current Employee - Tech II  in  Bingham Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Tech II in Bingham Lake, MN

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job that pays good. Hourly work hard to fix stuff.

Cons

Too many managers and supers.

Look at which days or nights are making progress. Get rid of supers. Only wasting space.

Great Job, Great Challenges, Great People

Current Employee - Technical Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Manager

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Mission, Vision, and Values. Waking up every morning knowing that I am contributing to America's energy independence, reduction in carbon emissions, and re-vitalizing rural economies is a great feeling. It is only surpassed by the the fact that I work with smart, committed, great people at every level in the company. I have fun at work. I am challenged daily. No day is the same as the last.

Cons

The company pushes a right-wing Christian agenda.

POET does not need to be the next Hobby Lobby. Keep the personal religious beliefs out of the day to day functions of the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No People Skills in Corporate Management

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Before it became POET in 2007, it was an outstanding, interpreneurial and exciting company that valued the skills we were hired to use. Then canme James Moe. A great flushing sound followed, which continues to this day. No Pros at this company.

Cons

Too many to list. Anything involved with encouraging, motivating, or valuing employees' contributions are missing. No reason to work here other than the money, short term. If you are a sell out to moral values and your people, come to work at POET.

Find a COO who knows how to lead, not manage. There was (maybe some still exists) unbelieveable potential in your people at the plants and those directly supporting the plants. Let them work for you. I still have many friends and trusted advisors in POET but they are becoming more rare everyday as you keep firing these solid business minds. It's your loss and my gain as I hire them.

Typical major employer in a small town....

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was reasonable for the area. You are working with other engineers.

Cons

I wouldn't make any long term financial commitments until you've determined that you 'fit' in (ie rent for your first year working). Its an 'our way or the highway'

Office itself is creepy (bull pen type environment)

Keep on thinking you are a 'big employer in a small town', and you have no reason or need to change.

Great in the beginning, but left a sour taste in my mouth at the end.

Former Employee - Lab Tech  in  Alexandria, IN
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Alexandria, IN

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working near my home in a small town where good jobs that pay well are hard to find. Helping the environment, opportunities for volunteering. Believing in the vision of an oil free world.

Cons

They don't want people thinking for themselves. They don't want people who aren't afraid to speak up about a possibly unsafe or unfair situation. Gave POET 5 years of my life, always was praised by immediate supervisor, but was late a few times (which hadn't been a problem before) only to be let go for being 1 minute late. It feels like performance reviews are rigged so that everyone gets the same score. The reason behind this is that everyone is "equal" even though that isn't always true. Basically they do not want to make anyone mad by giving someone else who works hard more money. They would rather pay everyone the same increases and perpetuate a mediocre work environment.

Not that it will help, but give more control back to the individual plants. The management in those plants know their people on a personal level Will help with losing people who are good employees but make small mistakes.

The great company that valued its people and everyone wanted to work there, grew up.

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The facility happens to be located close to my home. The people at the plant level are good both managers and employees.

Cons

If you are looking at a tech or operator career, it is effectively a dead end job.

If you are on shift you will do all your training on your days off.

Do not expect wages to keep up with inflation.

Listen to your people at the plants, managers and employees, they know what they need to get the job done!

Forward looking company, promotes from within

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time for more than a year

Pros

Be part of an emerging, newly developing market.
    Mgmt that is passionate about what they are doing
    Good paying jobs in small towns
    Jobs that can't be exported
    Great corporate guidance
    Profit sharing

Cons

Work schedules for about 1/2 the jobs are 12 hours and rotate between days and nights.
    Company profitability and profit sharing fluctuate widely with droughts and corn shortages

Improve the work-life balance by giving your production & maintenance employees a regular schedule.

poet work

Former Employee - Tech II  in  Alexandria, IN
    Former Employee - Tech II in Alexandria, IN

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work with and good upper managment to talk to.The upper managment worked with time offf if needed.

Cons

NOt to many cons long day and nights with swing shift are a pain to get use to. Always bringing in food for us to eat is nice but would rather you put that to the bonuses were suppose to get

not much

If you are not part of the good old boy club, you will not succeed in that plant.

Former Employee - Operator  in  Ashton, IA
    Former Employee - Operator in Ashton, IA

I worked at Poet - Ethanol

Pros

The soda machine charged a dollar.

Cons

Very much a place that likes who they like. Impossible to succeed there if you are not part of the in crowd.

In the first week if an employee is late let it go after six months. Not my first job, and I've never experienced such a negative working environment. In every evaul I was always late even after months of not being late once. If this is a common practice, then that explains the high employee turn around.

Worked for Poet - Ethanol? Contribute to the Community!