Poet - Ethanol

Add Photos

Poet - Ethanol CEO Jeff Lautt

Jeff Lautt

ok

Prosclose to were i live

Conscan't have a life outside of working there

Great Job, Great Challenges, Great People

Technical Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMission, Vision, and Values. Waking up every morning knowing that I am contributing to America's energy independence, reduction in carbon emissions, and re-vitalizing rural economies is a great feeling. It is only surpassed by the the fact that I work with smart, committed, great people at every level in the company. I have fun at work. I am challenged daily. No day is the same as the last.

ConsThe company pushes a right-wing Christian agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementPOET does not need to be the next Hobby Lobby. Keep the personal religious beliefs out of the day to day functions of the company.

Matters not what you say

Process Operator (Former Employee) Bingham Lake, MN

ProsPay is O.K. Good insurance too. I enjoy good team members and like the help we would share to get stuff done.

ConsNow they want to have you love. Even if it is a different love, it still does not belong. Bordering on sexual to some?
    I think that this is only because they know how bad they were to employees and now this.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the I am better than, smarter than, educated more crap. Take a look above the time clock and see how educated is spelled! OMG
    Listen to your employees for once.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No People Skills in Corporate Management

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBefore it became POET in 2007, it was an outstanding, interpreneurial and exciting company that valued the skills we were hired to use. Then canme James Moe. A great flushing sound followed, which continues to this day. No Pros at this company.

ConsToo many to list. Anything involved with encouraging, motivating, or valuing employees' contributions are missing. No reason to work here other than the money, short term. If you are a sell out to moral values and your people, come to work at POET.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a COO who knows how to lead, not manage. There was (maybe some still exists) unbelieveable potential in your people at the plants and those directly supporting the plants. Let them work for you. I still have many friends and trusted advisors in POET but they are becoming more rare everyday as you keep firing these solid business minds. It's your loss and my gain as I hire them.

Typical major employer in a small town....

Engineer (Former Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsPay was reasonable for the area. You are working with other engineers.

ConsI wouldn't make any long term financial commitments until you've determined that you 'fit' in (ie rent for your first year working). Its an 'our way or the highway'

Office itself is creepy (bull pen type environment)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on thinking you are a 'big employer in a small town', and you have no reason or need to change.

Great in the beginning, but left a sour taste in my mouth at the end.

Lab Tech (Former Employee) Alexandria, IN

ProsWorking near my home in a small town where good jobs that pay well are hard to find. Helping the environment, opportunities for volunteering. Believing in the vision of an oil free world.

ConsThey don't want people thinking for themselves. They don't want people who aren't afraid to speak up about a possibly unsafe or unfair situation. Gave POET 5 years of my life, always was praised by immediate supervisor, but was late a few times (which hadn't been a problem before) only to be let go for being 1 minute late. It feels like performance reviews are rigged so that everyone gets the same score. The reason behind this is that everyone is "equal" even though that isn't always true. Basically they do not want to make anyone mad by giving someone else who works hard more money. They would rather pay everyone the same increases and perpetuate a mediocre work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot that it will help, but give more control back to the individual plants. The management in those plants know their people on a personal level Will help with losing people who are good employees but make small mistakes.

Arrogant college idiots

Patsy (Former Employee) Bingham Lake, MN

ProsNON Salary Employees bust their butts.

ConsCan you say dirr? No matter how many times you tell them anything, it is "well this is how other plants do it" or "because some idiot in Sioux Falls said so"

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is the tickler! Why? Is that a rhetorical question?

The great company that valued its people and everyone wanted to work there, grew up.

Maintenance Technician (Current Employee)

ProsThe facility happens to be located close to my home. The people at the plant level are good both managers and employees.

ConsIf you are looking at a tech or operator career, it is effectively a dead end job.

If you are on shift you will do all your training on your days off.

Do not expect wages to keep up with inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people at the plants, managers and employees, they know what they need to get the job done!

Forward looking company, promotes from within

ProsBe part of an emerging, newly developing market.
    Mgmt that is passionate about what they are doing
    Good paying jobs in small towns
    Jobs that can't be exported
    Great corporate guidance
    Profit sharing

ConsWork schedules for about 1/2 the jobs are 12 hours and rotate between days and nights.
    Company profitability and profit sharing fluctuate widely with droughts and corn shortages

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the work-life balance by giving your production & maintenance employees a regular schedule.

POET makes bad reviews go away!

Maint (Former Employee) Bingham Lake, MN

ProsNot much when you have managers that think they are so much better than you are.

ConsManagement. Training is by the seat of your pants. The lab manager makes rude comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy even give any when they don't listen at all. Arrogant at best.

Worked for Poet - Ethanol? Contribute to the Community!