Poet - Ethanol

Updated November 3, 2014
2.8

Poet - Ethanol CEO Jeff Lautt
Jeff Lautt

some time this job sucks but other times it's good

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay And great benifits

Cons

i work a 12 hour shift and I am so sick of managers or supervisor coming in doing half there work and than leaving mid shift becuase of comp time I didn't know if a supervisor worked 2 extra hours a day they are suppose to take off 4 hours the next day there is only one supervisor that actually doesn't do this he answers his phone calls when we need help and goes on his computer to assist us all the time if need be. He might have a few issues but he is at least attempting to be a supervisor he should be a manager he is great.

Fire some people that are worthless and promote the good guys not the other way around people are getting big heads.

expendable

Current Employee - Tech II
    Current Employee - Tech II

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Has a lot of good employees that are very smart and offer ideas.

Cons

People that say others are expendable but think they are not. They want good moral but wont do any work because they think they don't have to anymore creating animosity. The helmet must have had to be special ordered to fit. LOL

You are expendable also! Company values? When the GM brought this program up at the meeting I think that some people forgot that the Supers were supposed to KEEP operating and cover shifts and be on the floor and be held accountable. Not just see. Got that about right?

awesome! getting better with time.

Current Employee - Worker in Bingham Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Worker in Bingham Lake, MN

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great pay, and benefits. upper management willing to make changes to fit industry, and employees. great job with the new structure. shift supervisors, as apposed to one ops manager a good idea. adds extra, (knowledgeable) help to each shift. high hopes in the coming years.

Cons

high turnover rate. some poor moral from some of the employees that think they are not expendable. and act in such a manner.

allow the plant to do what needs to be done. don't micro manage, and continue helping us with the major issues to get to where we need to be. get rid of the people that are causing us to lose money, and are not good culture fits. they are making it difficult to get the moral turned around. in the long run they will only cause higher turnover, and poor moral to new employees. we can take the initial hit, it would be worth it. accountability, accountability, accountability.

I was an operations engineer intern for one summer

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Poet - Ethanol as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

company values, drive for renewable energy and innovation, got to balance office and plant work to keep myself entertained. Plants run probably the best and most smooth out of all in the industry.

Cons

The company is short on engineers currently, a lot of projects that need attention.

Great Job, Great Challenges, Great People

Current Employee - Technical Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Manager

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mission, Vision, and Values. Waking up every morning knowing that I am contributing to America's energy independence, reduction in carbon emissions, and re-vitalizing rural economies is a great feeling. It is only surpassed by the the fact that I work with smart, committed, great people at every level in the company. I have fun at work. I am challenged daily. No day is the same as the last.

Cons

The company pushes a right-wing Christian agenda.

POET does not need to be the next Hobby Lobby. Keep the personal religious beliefs out of the day to day functions of the company.

ok

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time

Pros

close to were i live

Cons

can't have a life outside of working there

No People Skills in Corporate Management

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before it became POET in 2007, it was an outstanding, interpreneurial and exciting company that valued the skills we were hired to use. Then canme James Moe. A great flushing sound followed, which continues to this day. No Pros at this company.

Cons

Too many to list. Anything involved with encouraging, motivating, or valuing employees' contributions are missing. No reason to work here other than the money, short term. If you are a sell out to moral values and your people, come to work at POET.

Find a COO who knows how to lead, not manage. There was (maybe some still exists) unbelieveable potential in your people at the plants and those directly supporting the plants. Let them work for you. I still have many friends and trusted advisors in POET but they are becoming more rare everyday as you keep firing these solid business minds. It's your loss and my gain as I hire them.

Typical major employer in a small town....

Former Employee - Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was reasonable for the area. You are working with other engineers.

Cons

I wouldn't make any long term financial commitments until you've determined that you 'fit' in (ie rent for your first year working). Its an 'our way or the highway'

Office itself is creepy (bull pen type environment)

Keep on thinking you are a 'big employer in a small town', and you have no reason or need to change.

Great in the beginning, but left a sour taste in my mouth at the end.

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Alexandria, IN
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Alexandria, IN

I worked at Poet - Ethanol full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working near my home in a small town where good jobs that pay well are hard to find. Helping the environment, opportunities for volunteering. Believing in the vision of an oil free world.

Cons

They don't want people thinking for themselves. They don't want people who aren't afraid to speak up about a possibly unsafe or unfair situation. Gave POET 5 years of my life, always was praised by immediate supervisor, but was late a few times (which hadn't been a problem before) only to be let go for being 1 minute late. It feels like performance reviews are rigged so that everyone gets the same score. The reason behind this is that everyone is "equal" even though that isn't always true. Basically they do not want to make anyone mad by giving someone else who works hard more money. They would rather pay everyone the same increases and perpetuate a mediocre work environment.

Not that it will help, but give more control back to the individual plants. The management in those plants know their people on a personal level Will help with losing people who are good employees but make small mistakes.

The great company that valued its people and everyone wanted to work there, grew up.

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician

I have been working at Poet - Ethanol full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The facility happens to be located close to my home. The people at the plant level are good both managers and employees.

Cons

If you are looking at a tech or operator career, it is effectively a dead end job.

If you are on shift you will do all your training on your days off.

Do not expect wages to keep up with inflation.

Listen to your people at the plants, managers and employees, they know what they need to get the job done!