Point B

Point B Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Point B CEO Mike Pongon

Mike Pongon

Pros:
  • "Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job"
    in 23 reviews
  • "smart people, a great culture, work and life are both appreciated, i feel like i am treated fairly and respected"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration"
    in 3 reviews
  • "It has the feel of a large consulting firm culture now"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Point B from the perspective of a long-term employee

I have been working at Point B

ProsI do interesting work that is challenging to me and critical to my clients. I make my own career decisions. I have been able to see first hand how our leadership lives it's values - especially during tough times like in 2009. I'm staying at Point B because of what I have witnessed and experienced first hand.

ConsWe are not well known outside of Seattle. People outside of Point B don't always believe that we really don't travel and respect the individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for making this an employee owned company. It is a huge distinguisher from our competitors.

Great place to work

I have been working at Point B

ProsSmart people, lots of flexibility, great reputation.

ConsAtypical environment - it's not for everyone. Need to be flexible and take resp for driving your development and career.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue work on streamlining decision making and the org structure and re-positioing.

I am an owner at Point B

I have been working at Point B

ProsPoint B recently moved to a shared ownership model, which formalized how Point B has operated since its inception. I truly feel that I am an owner in my company, from the financial rewards to decisions about the work that I do. This way of thinking has also come in handy during tough financial times. Everyone in our company is pitching in to keep our company strong.

ConsPoint B takes feedback seriously and looks for candidates with a self-serve mentality. It is not the place for folks who want to manage others (rather than doing the work), or want their career spelled out for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have even more respect for you and this company during rough times. I feel that you really do practice what you preach.

Point b offers respite from the Big 4 consulting firms

I have been working at Point B

ProsIf you are tired of the big consulting firms and their internal games, looking for less travel, more control over your projects and interesting projects, Point b is a great place to be. The focus is on the Associate and not numbers. There are many intelligent and smart people working at the firm. The leadership sincerely cares about the employees. We currently bill for every hour worked, which is great in the busy/overtime periods, not so great when your workload at the client is light. But we are changing our compensation model and about to roll it out.

ConsCurrently, benefits are slightly improving, but minimal compared to larger consulting firms. Health care and disability for the employee were recently added, but there is no 401(k) match. Bonus calculations are impossible to undersatnd. The new compensation model being rolled out next month is supposed to change much of this. Somewhat difficult to effect change - "That's not the Point B way..." is the mantra. Growing quite fast, and wondering if we can continue growing - without adopting some of the big 4 consulting firm techniques/strategies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all Associates are the same.

Work-life balance can be real, but it's not inexpensive.

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Point B

ProsFlexibility, ability to take unpaid time off, work-life balance. Excellent client roster can make for very interesting projects (though not always).

ConsLimited opportunity for advancement within the firm due to flat org structure (almost everyone is a Senior Associate). Comp is rather flat too, unless you bring in a lot of business. Most important decisions made in a black box, including annual bonus. Limited intereaction with peers since there's no offices and all project work is done at the client's site. Hourly rates are competitive, but when you factor in benefits (minimal), PTO (none), bonus (limited), 401k matching (none), and profit sharing (none), it's hard to envision a long-term road to retirement -- unless you're one of the three partners, or the handful of managing directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased transparency in decision-making, compensation structure, bonus. Profit sharing.

Point B is a good place to work

Associate (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B

ProsFlexible work arrangements; people are competent; company is well run.

ConsCompensation is at-risk; not much room for growth or promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have a response.

Truly committed to work-life balance

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Point B

ProsThe "urban legend" of Point B's emphasis on building a collaborative, supportive environment that is based on work-life balance is in fact true. The company spends significant time (and resources) ensuring that all employees feel responsible for identifying the ideal balance for them. As a result, they have assembled a diverse and committed group of individuals that collectively represent significant work experience. Each employee is encouraged to help determine the the types of engagements to target, how to ensure success, and where to bring in additional resources. This autonomy breeds collaboration and enables all employees to truly assume an "ownership" perspective.

ConsSimilar to many consulting firms, Point B necessarily needed to scale back operations during the recession years, but did so without any downsizing or layoffs. However, now that business has increased (quite dramatically) in 2011, associates are feeling the pinch of much higher utilization rates. There is no formal PTO or vacation benefit, which can make things a bit hectic.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on the organizational effectiveness initiative, and ensure that people feel involved and invested in the outcome. It has provided a great vision for the future, and could be a great aspiration to galvanize shared contribution.

A firm with integrity

I have been working at Point B

ProsPoint B proved that it "walks the talk" when the financial meltdown happened. There were no layoffs, a new compensation structure was implemented to cover associates on the bench, and the company moved forward to become an employee-owned firm.

Associates are able to make their own decisions on when/where to take roles. We're actually treated like adults.

There is a very strong virtual network; people are ALWAYS willing to help out!

ConsLimited communication from management as to the direction of the firm. (However, this has recently started to get better.)

No real feedback is given to associates (unless there is a problem.)

It's not clear as to how decisions are made and why certain people get to participate in decision-making while others do not.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore visibility, more communication, more associate pariticipation.

A great consulting company to work for focused on life and work.

I have been working at Point B

ProsFlexible life/work balance, collaborative, interesting people to work with, minimal travel.

ConsLow salary, promotions based on tenure rather than merit, changing of the guard is being done with little change management.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new CEO doesn't necessarily have to make sweeping changes and Point B shouldn't lose what has made it great, particularly the culture which is where all the value is. Otherwise keeping doing all the great things.

It's okay...

ProsWork life balance is great at Point B

ConsNo career path. Senior management doesn't want to tackle the 'hard questions' around expanded positioning.

Worked for Point B? Contribute to the Community!

Point B Videos

Point B – Why Work for Us?

You Can Drive You can go along for the ride or your can drive. Drivers create their own road maps. Does yours look something like this? The Work You get to lead challenging initiatives with industry-leading clients. You… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Point B reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Point B CEO Mike Pongon. All 59 reviews posted anonymously by Point B employees.