Point B

Point B Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Point B CEO Mike Pongon

Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job(in 26 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration(in 3 reviews)

• It has the feel of a large consulting firm culture now(in 4 reviews)

It really is as good as it sounds

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPoint b is the "have your cake and eat it, too" consulting firm. You get the variety and excitement of consulting without the risk of forced out-of-town travel and your colleagues are simply top notch professionals.

ConsLearning to navigate an extremely flat, peer based culture can be challenging when one comes from traditional large corporations or consultancies where either have more levels and (especially for traditional consultancies) there are pace-based career ladders. Once you "get it" it can be extremely liberating, and a new challenge. That said, if you really dig titles or having formal responsibility for the career development of others, these will be lacking in most folks roles.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work; even though the firm is largely "west-coast" consider those of us further East and arrange training session classes to end earlier so that we can make the last flights back! This is usually the case, but it should be a formal and explicit part of event planning.

Individualistic

ProsLife/work balance
    Medical benefits
    Freedom to manage your time

ConsLittle to no support from management
    Lack of training or career advancement

Advice to Senior Managementsupport associates in the field

Great place to be

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStrong focus on work life balance, mostly interesting projects, peers are great to work with. Comp was good, plenty of opportunity to meet fellow Associates.

ConsNo clear path to grow career and not all paths are open. The limited turn over within the firm inhibits taking on leadership roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo clear path to grow career and not all paths are open. The limited turn over within the firm inhibits taking on leadership roles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to be if you want to be in consulting for the lang haul.

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood work life balance. very flexible.
    Very smart core group of consultants.

ConsPositioning more and more muddled as it grows. Losing focus on true core competency, and losing close collegial atmosphere at the expense of growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the core values that really made associates proud to work at Point B.

General review

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsOutstanding work/life balance
    Great colleagues
    Lots of opportunity to stretxch yourself annd grow professionally, with good support from colleagues

ConsInternal decisions seem very risk-averse, contrary to outward position of Point B with clients
    Internal decision-making is complex and hard to understnad at times

Advice to Senior Management2 CEOs?

Great people with tons of integrity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGenuine support for work life balance, and a team of people who always strive to do the right thing for clients and colleagues

ConsLack of hierarchy and desire to be nice means some people will face disappointment if they're looking for promotions (or the reasons why not)

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it seems like we're led by following the idea du jour, based on a business book or someone's recent strategic insight. Otherwise, leadership is cautious and sincere, which is great.

Great place to work for consultants who want to be treated like adults

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat team of smart people. Little or no internal politics. Interesting projects, with good clients who appreciate the value delivered. Good leadership, and lots of growth potential.

ConsHave to remember to budget some time off. Easy to stay billable and not take time to recharge the batteries.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing! 2009 showed that leadership knows what it is doing.

Great place to work

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmart people, good pay (and getting better all the time with the ESOP), and little political bs. Our own employees will always complain about something - but the bottom line is very few of us would trade this gig for working somewhere else and most of my clients have either come from Point B or want to work there.

ConsOur decision making is a bit slow and it would be nice to get some vacation time although these are minor complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Tim and Darran around as long as possible. We ALL love working for them.

Point B from the perspective of a long-term employee

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI do interesting work that is challenging to me and critical to my clients. I make my own career decisions. I have been able to see first hand how our leadership lives it's values - especially during tough times like in 2009. I'm staying at Point B because of what I have witnessed and experienced first hand.

ConsWe are not well known outside of Seattle. People outside of Point B don't always believe that we really don't travel and respect the individual.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for making this an employee owned company. It is a huge distinguisher from our competitors.

Great place to work

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmart people, lots of flexibility, great reputation.

ConsAtypical environment - it's not for everyone. Need to be flexible and take resp for driving your development and career.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue work on streamlining decision making and the org structure and re-positioing.

Worked for Point B? Contribute to the Community!