Point B

Point B Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Point B CEO Mike Pongon

Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job(in 26 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration(in 3 reviews)

• It has the feel of a large consulting firm culture now(in 4 reviews)

You're lucky if you work at Point B!

ProsPoint B is full of smart, talented and overall pretty wonderful people to work with. Employees are offered flexibility, trust, great culture (including many fun team-building activities) and now - ownership. In addition, the work is challenging and interesting. I believe the future here will only be brighter and I'm one of many people at Point B who plan to retire here.

ConsThis isn't the place for you if title and hierarchy mean a lot it your world. Employees are seen as relatively equal contributors. Also, be prepared to be part of a community… for employees who prefer to do their work and scurry home, this may not be the best fit. Everyone is encouraged to communicate, network and contribute to the company and the local community (who could really complain?).

Wonderful place to have a career

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFrom day one, Point B has provided the opportunity to work on more demanding or less demanding client projects. I've had the opportunity to have a more flexible schedule when I needed it, and throughout my entire career, I've enjoyed working with really smart people, who also happen to be great human beings.

ConsSome,(but not all) people find it challenging to get the development/growth opportunities they are looking for.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis 100% ownership thing is so awesome, I just think we've got to find a way to thread how deeply meaningful that is into everything we do as we build an enduring firm. I think we are on track but maybe make the OVV II class mandatory?

It's completely different, and by different I mean sweet.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAmazing culture and core values, great opportunities, challenging work, unreal people, benefits, social engagement. All around its a great firm.

ConsNot sure I would say there are any challenges. If you are attached to titles, building your kingdom, being narrow-minded, etc. then it's probably not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being and encouraging innovation.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The key difference between Point B and other consulting firms, our people!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHaving worked at Accenture, and being very familiar with many of the well known organizations, the aspect I appreciate most at Point B is our people. I respect all consulting orgs and the industry but at Point B, it is almost 99% consistent that you will work with colleagues that are extremely bright but humble, serious about the quality of their work but fun with a wicked sense of humor, busy but still involved in the community and/or in their kids' lives, and genuinely want to take care of one another when life events happen. Everyone talks about firm culture but this is an organization where we really do live up to it.
    The other key aspect is delivery. In consulting, unfortunately, it's often acceptable for some projects to outright fail or to not work out as planned. Here, that is not ok We work hard and constantly ahead of the curve to predict and address issues so every client is happy. It is important to me that our firm and my colleagues all think this way.

ConsOur firm seems to be going through some growing pains. When you have a firm of bright and engaged people, everyone has different opinions, perceptions, and ideas. When I read some of these posts, I can see some of this frustration coming through. Over the last two years, we have gone from one service to multi-service practices. In other words, we have totally evolved our business, IMHO, for the better (for us as associates AND for our clients). We definitely have experienced some major setbacks but through some leadership changes, direction changes, and re-focus, feels like we're definitely back on track. I don't necessarily always agree with all the decisions or leader capabilities, but I trust that leadership has our best interest at heart. Being 100% employee owned now, we have to grow the value of our firm in different ways vs the small annual incremental increases we have been experiencing.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the transparency. Get out more and connect with folks. Every associate should feel like someone is looking out for them. Lot of folks don't. Be clear about the vision and where we're headed and WHY. Continue to try not to turn into big firm mentality and continue to use our Values as our guardrails.

Outstanding!

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCompany culture, people, clients, interesting work.

ConsNo significant cons that I can describe

Do your research before joining this company.

(Current Employee)

Pros- Smart Associates who want to do a good job for their clients
    - Decisions affecting the clients are usually ethical ones
    - A culture that encourages Associates to build relationships with each other inside and outside of work.
    - A desire to evolve the company beyond a project management consulting firm.
    - Great work/life balance

Cons- Too many examples of questionable behavior by management. Associates were 'encouraged' to favorably complete the 'best companies to work for' survey.. Leaders too often do not follow their company policies or the ethics that Point B passionately claims to define their company,
    -I would not be surprised if several of the reviews on this site that speak glowingly of the company were written by the company itself.
    - Top heavy - far too many leaders for the size of the company. Leads to extensive debate on issues and difficulty making decisions/taking action. Too many egos.
    - Associates appear to be assigned to projects based on 'favoritism' and/or tenure, not interest or suitability for the work.
    - The number of my colleagues that are leaving should be a 'red flag' for Management but they don't seem to be 'getting it'.
    - The 'bonus' program continues to be ill-defined and Associates are encouraged to work for free outside of client time in anticipation of a bonus that is turns out to be low.
    - I had higher expectations from a company that has been in business as long as Point B has but will shortly be adding myself to the list of departing employees for the above reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is happening in our company, commit to making changes, have enough humility to hire the right people to help you make those changes if you aren't sure how.

Point B COO responded to this review

Jun 19, 2014

Thank you for being so forthcoming with your thoughts. We take this feedback seriously.

While it’s true we absolutely encourage our employees to complete “Best Places” surveys (the survey
    ... More

A place to be comfortable but not challenged

Management Consulting (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStill some smart people. Opportunity for work/life balance.

ConsSerious attrition in general. Seem to be losing top talent in particular. Despite spin, not a lot of opportunity for growth from anyone at this firm - it will have to come from the outside. Compensation lags the industry. Becoming more of a big firm where it is all about who you kiss up to vs. your ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider role changes at the top.

Point B COO responded to this review

May 21, 2014

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please know we value your input. We utilize several different ways to receive and manage feedback/associate engagement and Glassdoor is one of the tools we use ... More

The only company I ever wanted to stay long enough to retire from

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe culture at Point B is world class. Every company has values that are espoused and listed ona plaquard, but at Point B, we live our values in a very real way every day, especially People, Choice and Ownership. I feel very well cared for at Point B and derive a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that my fellow employee-owners and leadership team are really looking out for me, and I for them. I have a real choice about what types of roles, opportunities and work-life balance I want to have. And as an employee-owner I get to play a direct role in growing a company that will endure. We understand that we are here to do much more than collect a paychek, it's to do meaningful work and building a firm that's a great legacy for next generation of Point Bers.

ConsAs employee-owners we are expected to contribute a lot not only to our client work, but also to the firm, to each other and to our community. That's a great thing and an awesome opportunity for those who want to give of themselves in that way. For folks that just want to show up, clock in, do the bare minimum, clock out, and collect a paycheck, Point B wouldn't be a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a great job and I've got your back.

Best Place to Work for Entrepreneurs with an Ownership Mentality

Senior Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsClient-focused colleagues who strive for excellence in everything they do. Strong life-work balance culture, and heavy emphasis placed on innovation and experimentation. Great fit for folks who are good at networking and business development. An energetic, start-up culture.

ConsNot the best fit for folks looking for lots of direction in your career. Here, you are your own destiny, you set the pace of your success-realization, and success depends largely on your drive, passion, and ability to influence.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue facilitating and supporting the realization of employee's ideas.

Point B's 100% ownership is a game changer.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPoint B has always been focused on employees, but its move to 100% employee ownership is a game changer with respect to company growth and financial opportunity. If you haven't looked at Point B lately, look again.

ConsAn ownership structure is a long-term proposition - it's not a place for those who want immediate gains.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the management that has gotten us to where we are today, and let's take advantage of our new opportunities to grow.

Worked for Point B? Contribute to the Community!