Point B

Updated October 28, 2014
4.2

Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job (in 27 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

First Company I've Considered Making My Last Company

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I interviewed I feared that what I was hearing was "too good to be true" - all the things I loved about consulting, minus the things I hated, plus a positive people-first culture? I've found it to actually be even better than promised: Point B's commitments to transparency, putting people first, and choice have all held true, even in challenging circumstances.

I was recently working with an executive coach (part of a Point B-sponsored Individual Feedback & Coaching program), and we were discussing focus areas and tactics for development. My coach blinked a bit at my proposed tactics of sharing my development areas with colleagues and asking for their support and feedback, so I asked her what caused the blink.

She took me through a series of questions which reminded me how very different Point B is. "Is there a risk that some people might use that information against you, taking feedback about your development areas to your manager in a way that reflects poorly on you?" "Sometimes when there is potential competition for advancement that tactic could leave you vulnerable, is that a concern?" "Shining a light on development areas may make you look weak to 'bad actors' in the system, do you need to guard against that?"

Each question prompted me to reflect on the unprecedented level of trust, transparency and respect (both given and received) that I have observed and experienced at Point B. The more "flat" organizational structure combined with the fact that all of our consultants are seasoned/experienced means that the competitive dynamic I lived through in previous consulting firms and industry roles simply doesn't apply. My career path at Point B feels self-directed and allows me to choose between broadening or deepening my experience over time.

Cons

For the best experience at Point B, you need to be highly self-directed and accept the idea that you "get out of it what you put into it." I still feel at a bit of a remove from the dynamics of firm-wide decision-making and I agree with some other comments that we seem a bit top-heavy overall... however, these issues don't affect me very strongly.

As we continue to evolve and grow in both numbers of employees and markets we serve, our vision and definition of a "self service" model needs to keep up with those changes. We need to focus more on improving infrastructure and knowledge management to take unnecessary friction out of the system - free up more of our time to focus on higher value-add activities like crafting cutting-edge, repeatable solutions for our clients.

For the benefit of our people (clients and associates alike)

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Point B is a collection of dedicated, highly intelligent and driven employee owners. Flexibility in staffing and associate choice. Exciting and impactful client work with some of the most influential clients in the area. No travel required, work locally. Work-life balance.

Cons

As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future. However, this also keeps things interesting.

Continue to hold the Point B culture in the highest regard and make decisions based on what is best for the employee owners and our valued clients.

Can't imagine working anywhere else!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Point B has a fantastic culture which promotes collaboration, fun and respect. I LOVE the people at Point B and am always impressed at how helpful everyone is and not at all competitive. I love the work I'm doing and get a great sense of fulfillment form helping to grow our market. The leadership team is a great role model for what a leader should be. All in all, I can't imagine working anywhere else and feel so thankful that I discovered a place like Point B.

Cons

It's an adjustment getting used to the flexible comp model.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I left Big X consulting to join Point B. It has amazing people who are passionate about helping their clients succeed and about their life outside of work! I love the culture - built around our core values, it connects associates within and across our markets. I can deliver outcomes that are critical for my clients' success while helping grow Point B through internal operational roles.

Cons

Point B has a self-service model where you can create your career path and opportunities. While I find this a big benefit, others may find it difficult for some to adjust to when coming from a traditional hierarchical firm. Another adjustment for some if that it is not title driven yet more of a network of peers.

Hard to find this kind of great firm culture and flexibility in a company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely
    Great culture - fun events, annual company retreat
    Give back programs - firmwide focus on community service
    Smart people
    Interesting work

Cons

Professional development and advancement opportunities aren't clear
    Sometimes too Seattle-focused

I would love to see more opportunities for advancement and professional growth in all roles, not just the consultants.

A firm loaded with talent, choice, and a culture that will keep me long term.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced talent from diverse backgrounds - and that talent comes from pretty amazing (and fun) people.
    Feels far more like a family than a group of colleagues.
    Transparency, choice, and trust are everywhere - which is critical when employee owned.
    The freedom (and expectation) to do what's right for your client, Point B, and yourself.
    You don't have to worry why someone is asking you a question (read: no politics).

Cons

The plus play model is a perfect fit for our culture, but understanding long term increases and growth potential would be helpful.
    Those afraid of change and growth should take a deep breath and trust leadership to do things "the Point B way".
    Additional development planning and support is needed as the resource stack expands.

Keep it up!

Know what you are getting into

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are the most flexible company, I have ever worked for and really prioritize you having "life" in addition to work. They also have an really strong culture that cares about their employees happiness.

Cons

They try and claim that they do more than they do. They are really just product managers and it is more like glorified staff aug then it is like consulting.

While the culture is strong it can also feel a bit campy. if it fits your personality you'll really be on board but if not it may feel like you're part of a religion that you don't believe in.

Point B Response

Sep 11, 2014National Recruiting Director

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. As you know, we pride ourselves on our flexibility and work-life balance to improve the lives of our associates, and I’m happy hear that ... More

You're lucky if you work at Point B!

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Point B is full of smart, talented and overall pretty wonderful people to work with. Employees are offered flexibility, trust, great culture (including many fun team-building activities) and now - ownership. In addition, the work is challenging and interesting. I believe the future here will only be brighter and I'm one of many people at Point B who plan to retire here.

Cons

This isn't the place for you if title and hierarchy mean a lot it your world. Employees are seen as relatively equal contributors. Also, be prepared to be part of a community… for employees who prefer to do their work and scurry home, this may not be the best fit. Everyone is encouraged to communicate, network and contribute to the company and the local community (who could really complain?).

Wonderful place to have a career

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

From day one, Point B has provided the opportunity to work on more demanding or less demanding client projects. I've had the opportunity to have a more flexible schedule when I needed it, and throughout my entire career, I've enjoyed working with really smart people, who also happen to be great human beings.

Cons

Some,(but not all) people find it challenging to get the development/growth opportunities they are looking for.

This 100% ownership thing is so awesome, I just think we've got to find a way to thread how deeply meaningful that is into everything we do as we build an enduring firm. I think we are on track but maybe make the OVV II class mandatory?

It's completely different, and by different I mean sweet.

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture and core values, great opportunities, challenging work, unreal people, benefits, social engagement. All around its a great firm.

Cons

Not sure I would say there are any challenges. If you are attached to titles, building your kingdom, being narrow-minded, etc. then it's probably not the place for you.

Keep being and encouraging innovation.