Point B Reviews

Reset
4.2
Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Opportunity for work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• Because we don't have a rigid hierarchical structure like many companies do, it is sometimes difficult to figure out a career path (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Best place I've ever worked

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

The people are amazing, supporting, fun and energetic. We also do great work for our clients and are empowered to do the right thing for them even if it may not be the most profitable thing for us in the end.

Cons

As with all consulting, you are always pushing out of your comfort zone. This is a positive and a negative as it can be very exciting but also draining.

Advice to Management

Keep the amazing culture as we continue to grow.

Point B Response

Aug 24, 2015 – COO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Great to see your comments about our great people and culture as it’s absolutely why we have such an amazing firm. Even when posts are critical in nature (e.g ... More

2. Great Culture and Place to Be

I have been working at Point B part-time

Pros

Great Culture Delivers exceptional project work always with the client's best interest as a priority Offers a good selection of professional development opportunities Work/life balance is a priority

Cons

No cons at this time

Point B - SSan Francisco

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to step up to the plate and take on various responsibilities and challenges. An atmosphere to develop personal goals and drive them. Employee ownership is an exciting value-add and this creates an open environment, full disclosure and focus on collaborative work.

Cons

I think that there is constant effort to evolve, so if we meet challenges (which can be inevitable) Point B tends to move forward and take necessary steps to resolve them. Invariably, this is a benefit.

Point B - Bay Area Practice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fact that the company is now 100% employee-owned truly creates a unique culture in the Consulting Industry. There is a genuine emphasis on employee development and work/life balance (no travel required for instance). The flat organization means that everyone has an opportunity to speak their mind, take initiatives and make a difference. Leadership is extremely approachable and open to anyone's suggestions. The assignments are typically challenging and exciting with a lot of variety to expand your skills and grow as a leader.

Cons

The culture might not fit everyone. Being an employee-owner means a desire to go the extra-mile, challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone. You will thrive and learn a lot if you embrace the model and make it your own but could be disappointed if you're looking for a predictable job with a pre-defined career path.

Advice to Management

point B has an ambitious growth plan for the next years: keep the emphasis on the culture and do not compromise it for an easier/faster path to growth.

Sr Associate

Pros

Challenging work assignments; flexibility in work schedule and assignments, incredible organizational culture, Employee owned

Cons

No cons to mention as of now

Believe the Hype

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great Culture, Staff and Leaddership

Cons

None to speak of - great place

A mixed bag

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great people, super smart and committed to the work. This makes you smarter working alongside when you those rare opportunities arise.

Cons

To be picked for things (assignments, leadership opportunities) you need to be obviously drinking the Point B Kool-aid and somehow float into the awareness of local leadership. I agree with many other postings about the appearance of favoritism in promotions. I can't understand why opportunities aren't posted internally but merely announced in group meetings that "So and so is now the lead for X" when no one knew it was a possibility. In my region which is outside of Seattle the leadership team all hang out together and those that are partners or friends of those people seem to be in the know more than the rest of us. The bonus program, as many others have noted, is a complete black box program. I can't understand the benefit of this as it doesn't do anything to promote behaviors on the part of associates when you have no idea what you are being rewarded for. Handling bonuses this way then becomes more of a disincentive than an incentive.

Advice to Management

Transparency in rewards and recognition will take you a lot further than your current Mystery Incentive Plan.

9. Great place to work

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome culture as a employee owned management consulting firm. In addition to consulting you are encouraged to build your career. There is not consulting hierarchy path you must follow.

Cons

If you like a structure, rigid organization that has a clear step by step methodology of doing business Point B is not the place. It is a very self service model and fluid organization.

Some disconnect between image and reality

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Eligible to take LOA between projects. You're mostly left to your own devices, w/o interference. Folks are very experienced and have been open with information and help.

Cons

No paid vacation. Long commutes. Bad buyers; and they continue to purchase from them. Complex payment structure and resistance to raises and bonuses. If you want more pay, focus is on more hours rather than rate increase. Work is very PM oriented... I have a hard time distinguishing the work from staff augmentation.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if you stood up for consultants in the face of difficulty.

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work life balance is second to none. The company truly encourages a healthy work life balance and its evident across the work force. The company is employee owned, which mean they really do stand behind their "people first" value and put employee needs at the top of the list. Love working here so far and would highly recommend it to anyone who makes it through the rigorous screening process.

Cons

If you don't have an entrepreneurial mindset, Point B may not be for you. Its an employee owned company that is thriving because of the ownership mentality of each employee. Successful employees embrace the ownership mindset and their employment satisfaction is reflective of this.

Advice to Management

Continue to make yourself available to all ranks!

RSS Feed </> Embed