Point B

Updated December 8, 2014
4.3

Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job (in 28 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing company to work for

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid values, strong culture, focused on doing what's right for clients and employees. 100% employee owned. Talented management and consultants. Clear vision and goals. Feels like a family. Excellent place to work overall!

Cons

The company can seem overly conservative at times with respect to the risks it is willing to take (i.e. to diversify or grow faster). Although, that is also what has made the firm so successful, so hard to fault it.

Management is focused in inspirational - overall excellent. Consider taking a risk outside of your comfort zone.

The firm to work for if you enjoy consulting.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Actual work / life balance, employee ownership, culture.

Cons

Few opportunities for upward movement, but not an issue if you are happy being an experienced consultant delivering to top companies.

Continue the culture of employee owner input and a social / fun atmosphere.

Choose Your Own Adventure

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At Point B, your experience is what you make it. Due to the organization's model of light operational infrastructure, In the short amount of time that I have worked with the company, I have had the opportunity to dabble in every part of operations (business development, recruitment, marketing, general office operations, etc) all while sustaining my client service delivery. This model enables me to try my hand at these activities and identify my strengths. Also, the culture is outstanding and the commitment to listening to the associates to drive change is evident. I cannot stress enough how much the flatness of the organization in a benefit. There are so many opportunities to learn from very seasoned Senior Associates and Principals, just by sending a quick email or calling to request time with them.

Cons

The light infrastructure model can also mean that structure may not exist where you might think it would. For example, the path from Associate to Senior Associate is not clearly defined. As for learning from the experts within Point B, a bit more structure could be in place to make it so each associate does not need to create their own program to enable this experience. Lastly, the compensation model can be confusing until you are a few months in.

For the benefit of our people (clients and associates alike)

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Point B is a collection of dedicated, highly intelligent and driven employee owners. Flexibility in staffing and associate choice. Exciting and impactful client work with some of the most influential clients in the area. No travel required, work locally. Work-life balance.

Cons

As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future. However, this also keeps things interesting.

Continue to hold the Point B culture in the highest regard and make decisions based on what is best for the employee owners and our valued clients.

Can't imagine working anywhere else!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Point B has a fantastic culture which promotes collaboration, fun and respect. I LOVE the people at Point B and am always impressed at how helpful everyone is and not at all competitive. I love the work I'm doing and get a great sense of fulfillment form helping to grow our market. The leadership team is a great role model for what a leader should be. All in all, I can't imagine working anywhere else and feel so thankful that I discovered a place like Point B.

Cons

It's an adjustment getting used to the flexible comp model.

First Company I've Considered Making My Last Company

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I interviewed I feared that what I was hearing was "too good to be true" - all the things I loved about consulting, minus the things I hated, plus a positive people-first culture? I've found it to actually be even better than promised: Point B's commitments to transparency, putting people first, and choice have all held true, even in challenging circumstances.

I was recently working with an executive coach (part of a Point B-sponsored Individual Feedback & Coaching program), and we were discussing focus areas and tactics for development. My coach blinked a bit at my proposed tactics of sharing my development areas with colleagues and asking for their support and feedback, so I asked her what caused the blink.

She took me through a series of questions which reminded me how very different Point B is. "Is there a risk that some people might use that information against you, taking feedback about your development areas to your manager in a way that reflects poorly on you?" "Sometimes when there is potential competition for advancement that tactic could leave you vulnerable, is that a concern?" "Shining a light on development areas may make you look weak to 'bad actors' in the system, do you need to guard against that?"

Each question prompted me to reflect on the unprecedented level of trust, transparency and respect (both given and received) that I have observed and experienced at Point B. The more "flat" organizational structure combined with the fact that all of our consultants are seasoned/experienced means that the competitive dynamic I lived through in previous consulting firms and industry roles simply doesn't apply. My career path at Point B feels self-directed and allows me to choose between broadening or deepening my experience over time.

Cons

For the best experience at Point B, you need to be highly self-directed and accept the idea that you "get out of it what you put into it." I still feel at a bit of a remove from the dynamics of firm-wide decision-making and I agree with some other comments that we seem a bit top-heavy overall... however, these issues don't affect me very strongly.

As we continue to evolve and grow in both numbers of employees and markets we serve, our vision and definition of a "self service" model needs to keep up with those changes. We need to focus more on improving infrastructure and knowledge management to take unnecessary friction out of the system - free up more of our time to focus on higher value-add activities like crafting cutting-edge, repeatable solutions for our clients.

Point B is the Place to Be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Point B for many years and the reasons I stay are largely the reasons I came in the first place. Outstanding people. Fun and flexible culture. We had an ownership mentality in the early days and this has gotten stronger with the move to an ESOP in 2008 and 100% ownership in 2014.

Cons

Because we don't have a rigid hierarchical structure like many companies do, it is sometimes difficult to figure out a career path. There is lots of flexibility, but many of the people we are hiring now are looking for more structure than we currently have.

We need to grow, but be sure not to forsake the culture and values that got us to where we are.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I left Big X consulting to join Point B. It has amazing people who are passionate about helping their clients succeed and about their life outside of work! I love the culture - built around our core values, it connects associates within and across our markets. I can deliver outcomes that are critical for my clients' success while helping grow Point B through internal operational roles.

Cons

Point B has a self-service model where you can create your career path and opportunities. While I find this a big benefit, others may find it difficult for some to adjust to when coming from a traditional hierarchical firm. Another adjustment for some if that it is not title driven yet more of a network of peers.

Hard to find this kind of great firm culture and flexibility in a company!

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely
    Great culture - fun events, annual company retreat
    Give back programs - firmwide focus on community service
    Smart people
    Interesting work

Cons

Professional development and advancement opportunities aren't clear
    Sometimes too Seattle-focused

I would love to see more opportunities for advancement and professional growth in all roles, not just the consultants.

A firm loaded with talent, choice, and a culture that will keep me long term.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced talent from diverse backgrounds - and that talent comes from pretty amazing (and fun) people.
    Feels far more like a family than a group of colleagues.
    Transparency, choice, and trust are everywhere - which is critical when employee owned.
    The freedom (and expectation) to do what's right for your client, Point B, and yourself.
    You don't have to worry why someone is asking you a question (read: no politics).

Cons

The plus play model is a perfect fit for our culture, but understanding long term increases and growth potential would be helpful.
    Those afraid of change and growth should take a deep breath and trust leadership to do things "the Point B way".
    Additional development planning and support is needed as the resource stack expands.

Keep it up!