Point B

Updated October 23, 2014
4.0

Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job (in 26 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration (in 3 reviews)

• It has the feel of a large consulting firm culture now (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

First Company I've Considered Making My Last Company

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I interviewed I feared that what I was hearing was "too good to be true" - all the things I loved about consulting, minus the things I hated, plus a positive people-first culture? I've found it to actually be even better than promised: Point B's commitments to transparency, putting people first, and choice have all held true, even in challenging circumstances.

I was recently working with an executive coach (part of a Point B-sponsored Individual Feedback & Coaching program), and we were discussing focus areas and tactics for development. My coach blinked a bit at my proposed tactics of sharing my development areas with colleagues and asking for their support and feedback, so I asked her what caused the blink.

She took me through a series of questions which reminded me how very different Point B is. "Is there a risk that some people might use that information against you, taking feedback about your development areas to your manager in a way that reflects poorly on you?" "Sometimes when there is potential competition for advancement that tactic could leave you vulnerable, is that a concern?" "Shining a light on development areas may make you look weak to 'bad actors' in the system, do you need to guard against that?"

Each question prompted me to reflect on the unprecedented level of trust, transparency and respect (both given and received) that I have observed and experienced at Point B. The more "flat" organizational structure combined with the fact that all of our consultants are seasoned/experienced means that the competitive dynamic I lived through in previous consulting firms and industry roles simply doesn't apply. My career path at Point B feels self-directed and allows me to choose between broadening or deepening my experience over time.

Cons

For the best experience at Point B, you need to be highly self-directed and accept the idea that you "get out of it what you put into it." I still feel at a bit of a remove from the dynamics of firm-wide decision-making and I agree with some other comments that we seem a bit top-heavy overall... however, these issues don't affect me very strongly.

As we continue to evolve and grow in both numbers of employees and markets we serve, our vision and definition of a "self service" model needs to keep up with those changes. We need to focus more on improving infrastructure and knowledge management to take unnecessary friction out of the system - free up more of our time to focus on higher value-add activities like crafting cutting-edge, repeatable solutions for our clients.

A firm loaded with talent, choice, and a culture that will keep me long term.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Experienced talent from diverse backgrounds - and that talent comes from pretty amazing (and fun) people.
    Feels far more like a family than a group of colleagues.
    Transparency, choice, and trust are everywhere - which is critical when employee owned.
    The freedom (and expectation) to do what's right for your client, Point B, and yourself.
    You don't have to worry why someone is asking you a question (read: no politics).

Cons

The plus play model is a perfect fit for our culture, but understanding long term increases and growth potential would be helpful.
    Those afraid of change and growth should take a deep breath and trust leadership to do things "the Point B way".
    Additional development planning and support is needed as the resource stack expands.

Keep it up!

Hard to find this kind of great firm culture and flexibility in a company!

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility - ability to work remotely
    Great culture - fun events, annual company retreat
    Give back programs - firmwide focus on community service
    Smart people
    Interesting work

Cons

Professional development and advancement opportunities aren't clear
    Sometimes too Seattle-focused

I would love to see more opportunities for advancement and professional growth in all roles, not just the consultants.

Know what you are getting into

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are the most flexible company, I have ever worked for and really prioritize you having "life" in addition to work. They also have an really strong culture that cares about their employees happiness.

Cons

They try and claim that they do more than they do. They are really just product managers and it is more like glorified staff aug then it is like consulting.

While the culture is strong it can also feel a bit campy. if it fits your personality you'll really be on board but if not it may feel like you're part of a religion that you don't believe in.

Point B Response

Sep 11, 2014National Recruiting Director

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. As you know, we pride ourselves on our flexibility and work-life balance to improve the lives of our associates, and I’m happy hear that ... More

You're lucky if you work at Point B!

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Point B is full of smart, talented and overall pretty wonderful people to work with. Employees are offered flexibility, trust, great culture (including many fun team-building activities) and now - ownership. In addition, the work is challenging and interesting. I believe the future here will only be brighter and I'm one of many people at Point B who plan to retire here.

Cons

This isn't the place for you if title and hierarchy mean a lot it your world. Employees are seen as relatively equal contributors. Also, be prepared to be part of a community… for employees who prefer to do their work and scurry home, this may not be the best fit. Everyone is encouraged to communicate, network and contribute to the company and the local community (who could really complain?).

Wonderful place to have a career

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

From day one, Point B has provided the opportunity to work on more demanding or less demanding client projects. I've had the opportunity to have a more flexible schedule when I needed it, and throughout my entire career, I've enjoyed working with really smart people, who also happen to be great human beings.

Cons

Some,(but not all) people find it challenging to get the development/growth opportunities they are looking for.

This 100% ownership thing is so awesome, I just think we've got to find a way to thread how deeply meaningful that is into everything we do as we build an enduring firm. I think we are on track but maybe make the OVV II class mandatory?

It's completely different, and by different I mean sweet.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture and core values, great opportunities, challenging work, unreal people, benefits, social engagement. All around its a great firm.

Cons

Not sure I would say there are any challenges. If you are attached to titles, building your kingdom, being narrow-minded, etc. then it's probably not the place for you.

Keep being and encouraging innovation.

The key difference between Point B and other consulting firms, our people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked at Accenture, and being very familiar with many of the well known organizations, the aspect I appreciate most at Point B is our people. I respect all consulting orgs and the industry but at Point B, it is almost 99% consistent that you will work with colleagues that are extremely bright but humble, serious about the quality of their work but fun with a wicked sense of humor, busy but still involved in the community and/or in their kids' lives, and genuinely want to take care of one another when life events happen. Everyone talks about firm culture but this is an organization where we really do live up to it.
    The other key aspect is delivery. In consulting, unfortunately, it's often acceptable for some projects to outright fail or to not work out as planned. Here, that is not ok We work hard and constantly ahead of the curve to predict and address issues so every client is happy. It is important to me that our firm and my colleagues all think this way.

Cons

Our firm seems to be going through some growing pains. When you have a firm of bright and engaged people, everyone has different opinions, perceptions, and ideas. When I read some of these posts, I can see some of this frustration coming through. Over the last two years, we have gone from one service to multi-service practices. In other words, we have totally evolved our business, IMHO, for the better (for us as associates AND for our clients). We definitely have experienced some major setbacks but through some leadership changes, direction changes, and re-focus, feels like we're definitely back on track. I don't necessarily always agree with all the decisions or leader capabilities, but I trust that leadership has our best interest at heart. Being 100% employee owned now, we have to grow the value of our firm in different ways vs the small annual incremental increases we have been experiencing.

Continue with the transparency. Get out more and connect with folks. Every associate should feel like someone is looking out for them. Lot of folks don't. Be clear about the vision and where we're headed and WHY. Continue to try not to turn into big firm mentality and continue to use our Values as our guardrails.

Outstanding!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company culture, people, clients, interesting work.

Cons

No significant cons that I can describe

Do your research before joining this company.

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

- Smart Associates who want to do a good job for their clients
    - Decisions affecting the clients are usually ethical ones
    - A culture that encourages Associates to build relationships with each other inside and outside of work.
    - A desire to evolve the company beyond a project management consulting firm.
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Too many examples of questionable behavior by management. Associates were 'encouraged' to favorably complete the 'best companies to work for' survey.. Leaders too often do not follow their company policies or the ethics that Point B passionately claims to define their company,
    -I would not be surprised if several of the reviews on this site that speak glowingly of the company were written by the company itself.
    - Top heavy - far too many leaders for the size of the company. Leads to extensive debate on issues and difficulty making decisions/taking action. Too many egos.
    - Associates appear to be assigned to projects based on 'favoritism' and/or tenure, not interest or suitability for the work.
    - The number of my colleagues that are leaving should be a 'red flag' for Management but they don't seem to be 'getting it'.
    - The 'bonus' program continues to be ill-defined and Associates are encouraged to work for free outside of client time in anticipation of a bonus that is turns out to be low.
    - I had higher expectations from a company that has been in business as long as Point B has but will shortly be adding myself to the list of departing employees for the above reasons.

Pay attention to what is happening in our company, commit to making changes, have enough humility to hire the right people to help you make those changes if you aren't sure how.

Point B Response

Jun 19, 2014COO

Thank you for being so forthcoming with your thoughts. We take this feedback seriously.

While it’s true we absolutely encourage our employees to complete “Best Places” surveys (the survey
    ... More