Point B

Point B Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Point B CEO Mike Pongon

Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job(in 26 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration(in 3 reviews)

• It has the feel of a large consulting firm culture now(in 4 reviews)

Do your research before joining this company.

(Current Employee)

Pros- Smart Associates who want to do a good job for their clients
    - Decisions affecting the clients are usually ethical ones
    - A culture that encourages Associates to build relationships with each other inside and outside of work.
    - A desire to evolve the company beyond a project management consulting firm.
    - Great work/life balance

Cons- Too many examples of questionable behavior by management. Associates were 'encouraged' to favorably complete the 'best companies to work for' survey.. Leaders too often do not follow their company policies or the ethics that Point B passionately claims to define their company,
    -I would not be surprised if several of the reviews on this site that speak glowingly of the company were written by the company itself.
    - Top heavy - far too many leaders for the size of the company. Leads to extensive debate on issues and difficulty making decisions/taking action. Too many egos.
    - Associates appear to be assigned to projects based on 'favoritism' and/or tenure, not interest or suitability for the work.
    - The number of my colleagues that are leaving should be a 'red flag' for Management but they don't seem to be 'getting it'.
    - The 'bonus' program continues to be ill-defined and Associates are encouraged to work for free outside of client time in anticipation of a bonus that is turns out to be low.
    - I had higher expectations from a company that has been in business as long as Point B has but will shortly be adding myself to the list of departing employees for the above reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what is happening in our company, commit to making changes, have enough humility to hire the right people to help you make those changes if you aren't sure how.

Point B COO responded to this review

Jun 19, 2014

Thank you for being so forthcoming with your thoughts. We take this feedback seriously.

While it’s true we absolutely encourage our employees to complete “Best Places” surveys (the survey
    ... More

Point B is full of unqualified people

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIf you don't have much talent, yet can spin doctor well, this is the place for you. Looks matter more than substance.

ConsI suspect that most glowing reports here are by people in recruiting and HR. It is encouraged to spin doctor and be deceptive and many in management have no background in what they are sent to deal with at the client. However, they have the "look." The smooth car salesman appearance. That's all that matters here. The spin, the talk, and taking credit where none is due. Having worked in other consulting firms, I can't believe the amount of fluff. The only reason they sell at all is due to college connections and with competition as it is with companies who actually have substantive people, I can't imagine this is sustainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you know how people actually get hired at Point B? It is getting the rep for fluffy work in the Seattle area.

A place to be comfortable but not challenged

Management Consulting (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStill some smart people. Opportunity for work/life balance.

ConsSerious attrition in general. Seem to be losing top talent in particular. Despite spin, not a lot of opportunity for growth from anyone at this firm - it will have to come from the outside. Compensation lags the industry. Becoming more of a big firm where it is all about who you kiss up to vs. your ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider role changes at the top.

Point B COO responded to this review

May 21, 2014

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please know we value your input. We utilize several different ways to receive and manage feedback/associate engagement and Glassdoor is one of the tools we use ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent Leadership has degraded the culture at Point B

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Smart People

- Fun Events

- There is still an attempt to live up to the core values, although they have been diluted

- If you want to work part time and have no career ambition this place is for you

- Compensation package is ok

Cons- Lack of leadership and no strategic focus coupled with a complete inability to implement internal change has made this company stagnant.

- Your staffing will only be determined based upon what's available when you are available.

- Long time associates are leaving in droves and leadership brushes it under the carpet as if it does not matter.

- Internally, leaders are not allowed to lead nor are they held accountable to driving critical business outcomes (margin targets/spend).

- At the client Point B associates are basically independent consultants

- Too many internal promotes (new President of Consulting) and rejection of outside ideas has kept the company leadership blind to the true problems this company faces or fresh ideas on forward direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out where we are going and then take us there.

Was a great place to work

ProsGreat Clients
    Freedom to set your own direction

ConsRecent departure of long time and talented resources has drained the soul of Point B
    New resources have little desire to make Point B better or understand what made it great
    New organization structure has led to the promotion of incompetent leaders
    No paid vacation and poor overall benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the new titles and needless overhead.

Working at Point B

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFlexible schedule and work-life balance
    Comparable pay for "title" compared to the market
    Willing to quickly adapt to changing market conditions

ConsNo leadership
    Lack of true feedback, despite open feedback being "important"
    No room or support for growth
    No support for operations team
    Culture of Haves and Have-Nots keeps the company divided
    Does not challenge leaders to grow or develop people

Initially decent, but hasn't materialized as promised.

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWork-life balance is respected.
    Benefits are comparable with most other consulting firms.
    Great place to work if you are starting a family.
    Since all the consultants are paid by the hour, part time is a major plus.
    Relatively no real air travel is required, but local commuting to various client sites can be grueling.
    A great bunch of people to work and socialize with when you get the chance.

ConsCliquish management tier.
    Growing stratification between hourly vs. salaried.
    Bonus process is not open or communicated to the consultants which leaves you wondering what is going on.
    Advancement is based on who you know and seniority rather than qualifications (like many companies).
    True feedback is rare.
    Seattle-centric.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf growth is the mantra, look outside company for qualified C level leadership.
    Realize that with no real management growth path for senior employees, the only way to advance is to leave.
    Provide published bonus plan to all employees that can be tracked and measured. This can be great tool to direct behaviour.
    Since Tim and Darren have left (virtually), the company direction seems confused with no real passion being communicated by the leadership.

Individualistic

ProsLife/work balance
    Medical benefits
    Freedom to manage your time

ConsLittle to no support from management
    Lack of training or career advancement

Advice to Senior Managementsupport associates in the field

Sr. Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood consultants and very smart people

ConsLeaders actions not aligned with words

Point B - Experiencing Growth

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPoint B is filled with intelligent leaders with years of experience leading challenging projects. The opportunity to learn from outstanding colleagues is one of Point B's main values. Point B offers associates the ability to work in a variety of client settings. Each engagement is unique which enables associates to expand and grow.

ConsThe company culture has changed with expansion. It has the feel of a large consulting firm culture now.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk employees for feedback and listen.

Worked for Point B? Contribute to the Community!