Point B

Updated December 8, 2014
4.3

Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job (in 28 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Failed transition from founders to ESOP

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Great people although many have left
    - Focused on providing client value and doing right by the client
    - Great client opportunities

Cons

- Lots of great people have left. Heads of major offices, lots of directors, all great talent true blue pointb.
    - The reasons for people leaving vary, but Pointb no longer has the culture and people you can't imagine leaving.
    - People aren't valued. The staffing model has shifted to picking up earlier career talent (read lower salaries) weary of travel and run them a few years before they vest.

Pointb was something special and people were valuable. Now cash flow drives decisions not what's best for employees. How's that aligned with an ESOP?

Know what you are getting into

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are the most flexible company, I have ever worked for and really prioritize you having "life" in addition to work. They also have an really strong culture that cares about their employees happiness.

Cons

They try and claim that they do more than they do. They are really just product managers and it is more like glorified staff aug then it is like consulting.

While the culture is strong it can also feel a bit campy. if it fits your personality you'll really be on board but if not it may feel like you're part of a religion that you don't believe in.

Sep 11, 2014National Recruiting Director

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. As you know, we pride ourselves on our flexibility and work-life balance to improve the lives of our associates, and I’m happy hear that ... More

You're lucky if you work at Point B!

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Point B is full of smart, talented and overall pretty wonderful people to work with. Employees are offered flexibility, trust, great culture (including many fun team-building activities) and now - ownership. In addition, the work is challenging and interesting. I believe the future here will only be brighter and I'm one of many people at Point B who plan to retire here.

Cons

This isn't the place for you if title and hierarchy mean a lot it your world. Employees are seen as relatively equal contributors. Also, be prepared to be part of a community… for employees who prefer to do their work and scurry home, this may not be the best fit. Everyone is encouraged to communicate, network and contribute to the company and the local community (who could really complain?).

It's completely different, and by different I mean sweet.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture and core values, great opportunities, challenging work, unreal people, benefits, social engagement. All around its a great firm.

Cons

Not sure I would say there are any challenges. If you are attached to titles, building your kingdom, being narrow-minded, etc. then it's probably not the place for you.

Keep being and encouraging innovation.

Wonderful place to have a career

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

From day one, Point B has provided the opportunity to work on more demanding or less demanding client projects. I've had the opportunity to have a more flexible schedule when I needed it, and throughout my entire career, I've enjoyed working with really smart people, who also happen to be great human beings.

Cons

Some,(but not all) people find it challenging to get the development/growth opportunities they are looking for.

This 100% ownership thing is so awesome, I just think we've got to find a way to thread how deeply meaningful that is into everything we do as we build an enduring firm. I think we are on track but maybe make the OVV II class mandatory?

The key difference between Point B and other consulting firms, our people!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked at Accenture, and being very familiar with many of the well known organizations, the aspect I appreciate most at Point B is our people. I respect all consulting orgs and the industry but at Point B, it is almost 99% consistent that you will work with colleagues that are extremely bright but humble, serious about the quality of their work but fun with a wicked sense of humor, busy but still involved in the community and/or in their kids' lives, and genuinely want to take care of one another when life events happen. Everyone talks about firm culture but this is an organization where we really do live up to it.
    The other key aspect is delivery. In consulting, unfortunately, it's often acceptable for some projects to outright fail or to not work out as planned. Here, that is not ok We work hard and constantly ahead of the curve to predict and address issues so every client is happy. It is important to me that our firm and my colleagues all think this way.

Cons

Our firm seems to be going through some growing pains. When you have a firm of bright and engaged people, everyone has different opinions, perceptions, and ideas. When I read some of these posts, I can see some of this frustration coming through. Over the last two years, we have gone from one service to multi-service practices. In other words, we have totally evolved our business, IMHO, for the better (for us as associates AND for our clients). We definitely have experienced some major setbacks but through some leadership changes, direction changes, and re-focus, feels like we're definitely back on track. I don't necessarily always agree with all the decisions or leader capabilities, but I trust that leadership has our best interest at heart. Being 100% employee owned now, we have to grow the value of our firm in different ways vs the small annual incremental increases we have been experiencing.

Continue with the transparency. Get out more and connect with folks. Every associate should feel like someone is looking out for them. Lot of folks don't. Be clear about the vision and where we're headed and WHY. Continue to try not to turn into big firm mentality and continue to use our Values as our guardrails.

Outstanding!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company culture, people, clients, interesting work.

Cons

No significant cons that I can describe

The only company I ever wanted to stay long enough to retire from

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

The culture at Point B is world class. Every company has values that are espoused and listed ona plaquard, but at Point B, we live our values in a very real way every day, especially People, Choice and Ownership. I feel very well cared for at Point B and derive a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that my fellow employee-owners and leadership team are really looking out for me, and I for them. I have a real choice about what types of roles, opportunities and work-life balance I want to have. And as an employee-owner I get to play a direct role in growing a company that will endure. We understand that we are here to do much more than collect a paychek, it's to do meaningful work and building a firm that's a great legacy for next generation of Point Bers.

Cons

As employee-owners we are expected to contribute a lot not only to our client work, but also to the firm, to each other and to our community. That's a great thing and an awesome opportunity for those who want to give of themselves in that way. For folks that just want to show up, clock in, do the bare minimum, clock out, and collect a paycheck, Point B wouldn't be a good fit.

You're doing a great job and I've got your back.

Do your research before joining this company.

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

- Smart Associates who want to do a good job for their clients
    - Decisions affecting the clients are usually ethical ones
    - A culture that encourages Associates to build relationships with each other inside and outside of work.
    - A desire to evolve the company beyond a project management consulting firm.
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Too many examples of questionable behavior by management. Associates were 'encouraged' to favorably complete the 'best companies to work for' survey.. Leaders too often do not follow their company policies or the ethics that Point B passionately claims to define their company,
    -I would not be surprised if several of the reviews on this site that speak glowingly of the company were written by the company itself.
    - Top heavy - far too many leaders for the size of the company. Leads to extensive debate on issues and difficulty making decisions/taking action. Too many egos.
    - Associates appear to be assigned to projects based on 'favoritism' and/or tenure, not interest or suitability for the work.
    - The number of my colleagues that are leaving should be a 'red flag' for Management but they don't seem to be 'getting it'.
    - The 'bonus' program continues to be ill-defined and Associates are encouraged to work for free outside of client time in anticipation of a bonus that is turns out to be low.
    - I had higher expectations from a company that has been in business as long as Point B has but will shortly be adding myself to the list of departing employees for the above reasons.

Pay attention to what is happening in our company, commit to making changes, have enough humility to hire the right people to help you make those changes if you aren't sure how.

Jun 19, 2014COO

Thank you for being so forthcoming with your thoughts. We take this feedback seriously.

While it’s true we absolutely encourage our employees to complete “Best Places” surveys (the survey
    ... More

A place to be comfortable but not challenged

Current Employee - Management Consulting in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Still some smart people. Opportunity for work/life balance.

Cons

Serious attrition in general. Seem to be losing top talent in particular. Despite spin, not a lot of opportunity for growth from anyone at this firm - it will have to come from the outside. Compensation lags the industry. Becoming more of a big firm where it is all about who you kiss up to vs. your ability.

Consider role changes at the top.

May 21, 2014COO

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please know we value your input. We utilize several different ways to receive and manage feedback/associate engagement and Glassdoor is one of the tools we use ... More