Point B Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Good company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Point B full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Point B has a flat and egalitarian structure made up of smart people and decent clients. Also has a great culture and fun events.

Cons

This company needs to be your "point b", literally. Lacks upward mobility and career path options, but that comes with model so just know what you're getting into.

Advice to Management

Don't try and be something you're not. The high-end staff aug model has a place in the corporate world!

Senior Associate

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Great lifestyle, great people, no travel, great culture/team building events.

Cons

Work is mostly project management or some IT work, not as intellectually interesting as other consulting work I have done. Salaries are low for the industry, benefits are weak, and too much risk is put on the employees for the rewards given.

Associate

Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Point B

Pros

Good people Good work/life balance

Cons

Not a good benefit package

Review

I have been working at Point B

Pros

Work life balance and culture

Cons

Salary growth is slow.

Continually voted "Best Place to Work"

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Flexibility - in the type of work, career path and work life balance Great culture - collegial, supportive, fun Great client relationships Focus is on doing what's right for our clients, associates, and the firm - which can be a hard balance to strike

Cons

If you aren't comfortable in ambiguity, you probably don't want to work here - not a con, but something to consider

Advice to Management

As we grow, continue to tell stories about what makes us great Stay focused on doing what's right, even if it isn't always the most profitable solution

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at Point B

Pros

Culture, fun and smart people, interesting work, no travel

Cons

No paid vacation, not tons of promotion opportunity

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture - Great flexibility that allows you to have a life outside of work - Focused on serving the communities in which we work - Talented associates - Ability to get involved in activities outside of client work (e.g., recruiting, marketing, business development, operations) - Interesting work

Cons

- I've not yet encountered any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

Amazing company to work for

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid values, strong culture, focused on doing what's right for clients and employees. 100% employee owned. Talented management and consultants. Clear vision and goals. Feels like a family. Excellent place to work overall!

Cons

The company can seem overly conservative at times with respect to the risks it is willing to take (i.e. to diversify or grow faster). Although, that is also what has made the firm so successful, so hard to fault it.

Advice to Management

Management is focused in inspirational - overall excellent. Consider taking a risk outside of your comfort zone.

Choose Your Own Adventure

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At Point B, your experience is what you make it. Due to the organization's model of light operational infrastructure, In the short amount of time that I have worked with the company, I have had the opportunity to dabble in every part of operations (business development, recruitment, marketing, general office operations, etc) all while sustaining my client service delivery. This model enables me to try my hand at these activities and identify my strengths. Also, the culture is outstanding and the commitment to listening to the associates to drive change is evident. I cannot stress enough how much the flatness of the organization in a benefit. There are so many opportunities to learn from very seasoned Senior Associates and Principals, just by sending a quick email or calling to request time with them.

Cons

The light infrastructure model can also mean that structure may not exist where you might think it would. For example, the path from Associate to Senior Associate is not clearly defined. As for learning from the experts within Point B, a bit more structure could be in place to make it so each associate does not need to create their own program to enable this experience. Lastly, the compensation model can be confusing until you are a few months in.

First Company I've Considered Making My Last Company

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I interviewed I feared that what I was hearing was "too good to be true" - all the things I loved about consulting, minus the things I hated, plus a positive people-first culture? I've found it to actually be even better than promised: Point B's commitments to transparency, putting people first, and choice have all held true, even in challenging circumstances. I was recently working with an executive coach (part of a Point B-sponsored Individual Feedback & Coaching program), and we were discussing focus areas and tactics for development. My coach blinked a bit at my proposed tactics of sharing my development areas with colleagues and asking for their support and feedback, so I asked her what caused the blink. She took me through a series of questions which reminded me how very different Point B is. "Is there a risk that some people might use that information against you, taking feedback about your development areas to your manager in a way that reflects poorly on you?" "Sometimes when there is potential competition for advancement that tactic could leave you vulnerable, is that a concern?" "Shining a light on development areas may make you look weak to 'bad actors' in the system, do you need to guard against that?" Each question prompted me to reflect on the unprecedented level of trust, transparency and respect (both given and received) that I have observed and experienced at Point B. The more "flat" organizational structure combined with the fact that all of our consultants are seasoned/experienced means that the competitive dynamic I lived through in previous consulting firms and industry roles simply doesn't apply. My career path at Point B feels self-directed and allows me to choose between broadening or deepening my experience over time.

Cons

For the best experience at Point B, you need to be highly self-directed and accept the idea that you "get out of it what you put into it." I still feel at a bit of a remove from the dynamics of firm-wide decision-making and I agree with some other comments that we seem a bit top-heavy overall... however, these issues don't affect me very strongly.

Advice to Management

As we continue to evolve and grow in both numbers of employees and markets we serve, our vision and definition of a "self service" model needs to keep up with those changes. We need to focus more on improving infrastructure and knowledge management to take unnecessary friction out of the system - free up more of our time to focus on higher value-add activities like crafting cutting-edge, repeatable solutions for our clients.

RSS Feed </> Embed