Point B

Updated December 8, 2014
4.3

Point B CEO Mike Pongon
Mike Pongon

Pros
  • Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job (in 28 reviews)

• Good consultants and very smart people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with any consulting firm you do not always know where you'll be (client) in the future (in 5 reviews)

• This isn't really a con, so much as a bias within the firm, something for consideration (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture, smart people, flexible work environment

I worked at Point B

Pros

Working at Point B was a great experience. Lots of very intelligent and highly motivated people. For the most part, people are very well aligned and understand the goals of the firm. Lots of opportunity to work in different areas of the business if interested.

Cons

I had worked on the firm-wide (non client facing) team. Area leads tended to make a project out of every little thing instead of focusing on small incremental change where applicable. Most projects do not get completed and succumb to the typical failings of a waterfall type project methodology e.g.: projects take too long, run over budget and fail to meet the business requirements as they’ve changed.

Also – compensation is average to below average. It can be years before raises are given and cost of living adjustments year over year are not typical.

Best Place to Work for Entrepreneurs with an Ownership Mentality

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Client-focused colleagues who strive for excellence in everything they do. Strong life-work balance culture, and heavy emphasis placed on innovation and experimentation. Great fit for folks who are good at networking and business development. An energetic, start-up culture.

Cons

Not the best fit for folks looking for lots of direction in your career. Here, you are your own destiny, you set the pace of your success-realization, and success depends largely on your drive, passion, and ability to influence.

Continue facilitating and supporting the realization of employee's ideas.

Point B's 100% ownership is a game changer.

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Point B has always been focused on employees, but its move to 100% employee ownership is a game changer with respect to company growth and financial opportunity. If you haven't looked at Point B lately, look again.

Cons

An ownership structure is a long-term proposition - it's not a place for those who want immediate gains.

Keep up the management that has gotten us to where we are today, and let's take advantage of our new opportunities to grow.

Sr. Associate

I worked at Point B

Pros

Good consultants and very smart people

Cons

Leaders actions not aligned with words

A company that cares about its people and community, and holds close to its values.

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Values-driven culture; people care about each other and their clients; leadership has grown up with Point B, while this can mean some growing pains, it also means leadership cares and wants to do the right thing.

Cons

Employees get used to how good it is at Point B, and sometimes forget that we work for a unique and special company.

Keep caring about people and values; learn from mistakes and move on.

Focused on clients AND employee-owners

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Point B does a great job of creating and maintaining a culture of caring for people...internal employees as well as clients. This emphasis makes it a fun and collaborative place to work. The consulting projects are interesting and the range of client types is broad. Point B is growing and there is a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Consultants work remotely at client sites and so sometimes you can feel disconnected to the company. But there are in-person events and parties during the year, which helps.

Keep up the growth and innovation.

Flexible, Great Culture, Interesting Work

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great client list, great co-workers. Point Bers work hard but remember to keep a sense of humor. The firm respects associates and expects that they’ll “do the right thing” – this was a refreshing change for me from previous employers who overregulated every move.

Cons

Compensation can be confusing at first, but the flexibility it offers is well worth it! No "PTO" also feels like a con, but again, the compensation works out better in my opinion because I can exercise discretion on how much time I take off - I'm not limited to a formula.

Exceptional colleagues and respect for the individual

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, strong peer group, flexibility in staffing, interesting staffing assignments

Cons

Aversion to risk limits some of the great growth opportunities for the company and the individuals working for it.

Channel the risk taking that was done in the early Point B years.

Very supportive environment

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great resources for client delivery, great work-life balance for consulting job

Cons

Few opportunities to see and meet coworkers

Incompetent Leadership has degraded the culture at Point B

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Smart People

- Fun Events

- There is still an attempt to live up to the core values, although they have been diluted

- If you want to work part time and have no career ambition this place is for you

- Compensation package is ok

Cons

- Lack of leadership and no strategic focus coupled with a complete inability to implement internal change has made this company stagnant.

- Your staffing will only be determined based upon what's available when you are available.

- Long time associates are leaving in droves and leadership brushes it under the carpet as if it does not matter.

- Internally, leaders are not allowed to lead nor are they held accountable to driving critical business outcomes (margin targets/spend).

- At the client Point B associates are basically independent consultants

- Too many internal promotes (new President of Consulting) and rejection of outside ideas has kept the company leadership blind to the true problems this company faces or fresh ideas on forward direction.

Figure out where we are going and then take us there.