Point B

www.pointb.com

Do your research before joining this company.

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

- Smart Associates who want to do a good job for their clients
    - Decisions affecting the clients are usually ethical ones
    - A culture that encourages Associates to build relationships with each other inside and outside of work.
    - A desire to evolve the company beyond a project management consulting firm.
    - Great work/life balance

Cons

- Too many examples of questionable behavior by management. Associates were 'encouraged' to favorably complete the 'best companies to work for' survey.. Leaders too often do not follow their company policies or the ethics that Point B passionately claims to define their company,
    -I would not be surprised if several of the reviews on this site that speak glowingly of the company were written by the company itself.
    - Top heavy - far too many leaders for the size of the company. Leads to extensive debate on issues and difficulty making decisions/taking action. Too many egos.
    - Associates appear to be assigned to projects based on 'favoritism' and/or tenure, not interest or suitability for the work.
    - The number of my colleagues that are leaving should be a 'red flag' for Management but they don't seem to be 'getting it'.
    - The 'bonus' program continues to be ill-defined and Associates are encouraged to work for free outside of client time in anticipation of a bonus that is turns out to be low.
    - I had higher expectations from a company that has been in business as long as Point B has but will shortly be adding myself to the list of departing employees for the above reasons.

Pay attention to what is happening in our company, commit to making changes, have enough humility to hire the right people to help you make those changes if you aren't sure how.

Point B Response

Jun 19, 2014COO

Thank you for being so forthcoming with your thoughts. We take this feedback seriously.

While it’s true we absolutely encourage our employees to complete “Best Places” surveys (the survey
    ... More

A place to be comfortable but not challenged

Current Employee - Management Consulting in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

Still some smart people. Opportunity for work/life balance.

Cons

Serious attrition in general. Seem to be losing top talent in particular. Despite spin, not a lot of opportunity for growth from anyone at this firm - it will have to come from the outside. Compensation lags the industry. Becoming more of a big firm where it is all about who you kiss up to vs. your ability.

Consider role changes at the top.

Point B Response

May 21, 2014COO

Sorry to hear about your experience. Please know we value your input. We utilize several different ways to receive and manage feedback/associate engagement and Glassdoor is one of the tools we use ... More

The only company I ever wanted to stay long enough to retire from

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Point B full-time

Pros

The culture at Point B is world class. Every company has values that are espoused and listed ona plaquard, but at Point B, we live our values in a very real way every day, especially People, Choice and Ownership. I feel very well cared for at Point B and derive a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that my fellow employee-owners and leadership team are really looking out for me, and I for them. I have a real choice about what types of roles, opportunities and work-life balance I want to have. And as an employee-owner I get to play a direct role in growing a company that will endure. We understand that we are here to do much more than collect a paychek, it's to do meaningful work and building a firm that's a great legacy for next generation of Point Bers.

Cons

As employee-owners we are expected to contribute a lot not only to our client work, but also to the firm, to each other and to our community. That's a great thing and an awesome opportunity for those who want to give of themselves in that way. For folks that just want to show up, clock in, do the bare minimum, clock out, and collect a paycheck, Point B wouldn't be a good fit.

You're doing a great job and I've got your back.

Great culture, smart people, flexible work environment

I worked at Point B

Pros

Working at Point B was a great experience. Lots of very intelligent and highly motivated people. For the most part, people are very well aligned and understand the goals of the firm. Lots of opportunity to work in different areas of the business if interested.

Cons

I had worked on the firm-wide (non client facing) team. Area leads tended to make a project out of every little thing instead of focusing on small incremental change where applicable. Most projects do not get completed and succumb to the typical failings of a waterfall type project methodology e.g.: projects take too long, run over budget and fail to meet the business requirements as they’ve changed.

Also – compensation is average to below average. It can be years before raises are given and cost of living adjustments year over year are not typical.

Point B's 100% ownership is a game changer.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Point B has always been focused on employees, but its move to 100% employee ownership is a game changer with respect to company growth and financial opportunity. If you haven't looked at Point B lately, look again.

Cons

An ownership structure is a long-term proposition - it's not a place for those who want immediate gains.

Keep up the management that has gotten us to where we are today, and let's take advantage of our new opportunities to grow.

Best Place to Work for Entrepreneurs with an Ownership Mentality

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Point B full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Client-focused colleagues who strive for excellence in everything they do. Strong life-work balance culture, and heavy emphasis placed on innovation and experimentation. Great fit for folks who are good at networking and business development. An energetic, start-up culture.

Cons

Not the best fit for folks looking for lots of direction in your career. Here, you are your own destiny, you set the pace of your success-realization, and success depends largely on your drive, passion, and ability to influence.

Continue facilitating and supporting the realization of employee's ideas.

A company that cares about its people and community, and holds close to its values.

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Values-driven culture; people care about each other and their clients; leadership has grown up with Point B, while this can mean some growing pains, it also means leadership cares and wants to do the right thing.

Cons

Employees get used to how good it is at Point B, and sometimes forget that we work for a unique and special company.

Keep caring about people and values; learn from mistakes and move on.

Sr. Associate

I worked at Point B

Pros

Good consultants and very smart people

Cons

Leaders actions not aligned with words

Focused on clients AND employee-owners

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Point B does a great job of creating and maintaining a culture of caring for people...internal employees as well as clients. This emphasis makes it a fun and collaborative place to work. The consulting projects are interesting and the range of client types is broad. Point B is growing and there is a lot of opportunity.

Cons

Consultants work remotely at client sites and so sometimes you can feel disconnected to the company. But there are in-person events and parties during the year, which helps.

Keep up the growth and innovation.

Flexible, Great Culture, Interesting Work

I have been working at Point B full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great client list, great co-workers. Point Bers work hard but remember to keep a sense of humor. The firm respects associates and expects that they’ll “do the right thing” – this was a refreshing change for me from previous employers who overregulated every move.

Cons

Compensation can be confusing at first, but the flexibility it offers is well worth it! No "PTO" also feels like a con, but again, the compensation works out better in my opinion because I can exercise discretion on how much time I take off - I'm not limited to a formula.