Points International

Updated December 13, 2014
3.1

Points International CEO and Director Rob MacLean
Rob MacLean

Great potential, but no focus on employee goals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Points International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Work on global brands
    Great products
    Youthful culture

Cons

No development Plans
    Do not promote within

Constant Misdirection, Toxic Culture, Extreme Nepotism, Carrot 'Danglers'

Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Points International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free hot beverages, cold drinks, fruits, snack/beer cart on Friday afternoons, RRSP matching (up to 3%). Plus there are some actual genuine and pleasant people who do work there, unfortunately those are the people who have zero influence on professional advancement or company goals.

Cons

Zero clear direction on company objectives, in a constant pull of various directions and continual changes in teams and team leadership - high turnover (the perks are quickly outweighed by the realities of your day to day and no opportunity for growth). Old and new leadership have zero historical context on individual strengths, accomplishments, and value of existing employees and this is demonstrated in hiring externally for positions without allowing existing employees to express interest or promoting within. There are a few instances of internal promotion - promotions were given to individuals who are part of a group (similar to a high school clique) that go out drinking together, attending each others significant functions, and basically party together. They tend to try and hide these relations until after promotions are filled. You can excel within the scope of your position and beyond but unless you are in that group your attempts for career advancement are futile. The toxic environment results in unmotivated employees who are fed up of speaking up and having futile conversations with their managers.
    Promises of growth are made during the hiring process and shortly after, for example advancement to Director in next two years - this is untrue. It is to keep you plugging away and stave off any questions for the next while and in the meantime external hires or 'friends' will fill any roles that come up. Little growth even exists so if you miss one opportunity for advancement you should seriously look elsewhere because the company isn't growing fast enough to allow for further opportunities.

No point in offering recommendations here - they are aware of the problems, however they are part of the problem and do not care. Points is all about cliques and optics.

Horrible culture here - save yourself the trouble

Former Employee - Finance in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Finance in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Points International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Free beer, free food, lots of events
    -Ping pong table and video game/arcade consoles in the rec room (see comment below, however)
    -Interview questions are easy
    -Met some cool people (in other departments)

Cons

-Horrible culture - other employees and managers watch you like hawks (they have a rec room but you're judged if you use it)
    -The job duties did not at all align with their description - the work was tedious and repetitive (a monkey could do it) whereas it was promised to be interesting and fulfilling
    -They don't bother to train you properly on the job and if you seek advice, they just send you to someone else, who sends you to someone else, who sends you to someone else...
    -Lots of office gossip and he-said, she-said type of crap
    -Nepotism for hiring decisions

- Open concept cubicles do NOT work if you're going to be walking by every couple minutes staring at my screen!

Toxic, groupie and micromanged

Current Employee - Customer Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Points International full-time

Pros

Casual
    Beer Cart
    Location and Lofty Office

Cons

Unrealistic Expectations
    Micromanaged
    Career Killer
    Backstabbers
    No Pay Raise
    Lots of promises and no delivery

You have poisonous middle management that need a reality check.

Agile Developer Intern

Former Intern - Agile Development Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Agile Development Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Points International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed and casual working atmosphere with a start-up feel. Everyone is very friendly and fun to work with. Agile development cycle means there's always new work to be done. Very little red tape.

Cons

Not much chances to expand. Very high learning curve when first starting.

Great company with great people

I have been working at Points International

Pros

Casual work atmosphere. Great work/life balance. Great people to work with.

Cons

High turnover, limited opportunities to move up once you get to a certain level.

Interact more with employees at all level. Toot the company's horn more so that employees know what is going on and can be proud of what we've accomplished as a company.

Okay place to pick up a paycheck but not a good place to learn new tech

Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Points International

Pros

The other developers are mostly nice and we can dress however. There's a beer card on fridays with beer and candy and stuff.

Pay is good.

My boss is pretty cool about most stuff.

It doesnt feel like a start up. But it is a mostly relaxed environment so that's good.

Cons

Sometimes the jobs boring because there's just lots of old code and not much new things to learn.

We write mostly Java code, with GWT for our GUI, and some days we do JavaScript / CSS. There's tons of code for our apps and it took me awhile to learn enough. Mostly we're maintaining the old code to make a change here or there. Some of our projects though we got to do new stuff, like SOAP API for our app. We use spring and hibernate and Oracle but i think they're old versions like GWT.
    When I build in eclipse it takes a few minutes or sometimes a lot longer. This gives plenty of time for browsing but it's a bit annoying when i just want to see a quick change.

Another thing that's annoying is we track our hours spent on tasks in two different systems. We used to have lots of contractors working here but now we're all just employees on salary so i'm not sure why we still have to do that. Another team tracks their 15 minute meetings I think so at least I'm not them!

We do agile development which means stand up every day (dont be late!) and we have a 2 to 4 hour tasking meeting on Mondays. These meetings suck and I think everyone hates them but just doesn't want to say it. We also have retro to talk about what happened in the sprint but I don't think it changes much of what we do. Usually people dont remember what we talked about in last retro. Our scrum master is bossy but nice.

Give more opportunities to learn and use new tech stuff.

Smart people, great market opportunities, fun environment = all good!

I have been working at Points International

Pros

-Partnered and powering many major International loyalty brands
    -Product Management is always looking to innovate, reinvent, and lead the market
    -Strong, competent, committed Sr Management team
    -High confidence in CEO
    -Dedicated tech group who expertly balance quality needs and business requirements
    -Fun, relaxed, environment. Cool office right downtown.
    -Lots of long-term employees who love it here

Cons

-Since the business is driven by partner relationships, it is occasionally a challenge to forge ahead on a road map. Not at all insurmountable though.

-Ensure we stay Agile so we can adapt to never ending changes in the marketplace and stay ahead of the competition.

Awesome place to work especially if you're working in the software industry

I have been working at Points International

Pros

- Experienced CTO who has a lot of respect from both the business side as well as the tech side
    - Business who will not unnecessarily compromise on software quality. Recognizes that poor software quality reflects poorly to clients
    - Retains a lot of the start-up feel. Little overhead in decision making (i.e. no red tape)
    - Interesting business problems
    - Makes decisions based on business case which results in a rational decision making process
    - Love the fact that it's a product driven company
    - Lots of opportunities to make a difference

Cons

- Not a well known brand. People often times have no idea what Points International does even the company is listed on both the TSX and on the Nasdaq

- Minimize processes. Keep on focusing on hiring the right people and base everything else on the ability to trust the people we hire.