Points of Light Foundation

Michelle Nunn

mixed bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Points of Light Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people, chance to make a difference in the world

Cons

slow decision making, lack of focus, high turnover

focus more on retaining staff and providing opportunities for growth

Great mission, but still run like a small volunteer organization

I have been working at Points of Light Foundation

Pros

Pockets of great people. Decent benefits for a nonprofit.

Cons

Every man for himself. A lot of overlap between departments, but no internal communication or support. No internal systems in place makes it very difficult to get anything done. They will work you to the bone, so there is very high turn over.

Focus on a few things and provide adequate resources to those programs.

Only work for the company if you don't want to get anything done and don't want to get paid

I worked at Points of Light Foundation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Yes, the majority of the people actually care about doing good and there are some very talented senior leaders, but that's basically where the pros end.

Cons

It takes months for anything to get done. There is a huge disconnect between all of the offices and even within an office. Especially outside of the Atlanta office, most people don't understand how things are supposed to work or who does what in the Atlanta office. No one is really too sure who does what and where to go to get anything done.

Internal badmouthing is frequently heard (more than I've experienced at any other company).

There is no company culture at all.

Turnover is very high.

During my interview I was assured the company and work was "fast-paced." This was definitely not true.

I've heard it said internally by coworkers and will definitely agree "once I leave PoL, I will never do any work with us." The company is incompetent.

Third party/vendor contracts take many weeks to months to complete, resulting in poorly managed relationships.

And to top it off, I haven't worked there for 2+ months and I am still currently waiting on my final paycheck (as I was a contracted employee).

Just figure out a better way to organize everything. Get everyone on the same page internally.

Such potential, wasted. Senior leadership is a joke.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Points of Light Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very few. There are some very talented people -most at the VP, Director or Manager level. Senior leadership needs to get out of their way and listen to the people they hired for their expertise.

Cons

Almost everything. Pay is below market for most positions. Benefits are only mediocre. The new President ( since July 2013) is an incompetent joke more interested in playing dress up and boss than doing work and supporting her people. Still surrounded by cronies who create drama and misuse resources with no consequences.

Clean house at the SVP level and up. Get rid of money sucking senior advisors. Focus on what you do well and stop trying to do everything. Invest in the people you hired and listen to them. They know what they are talking about and are there to advance the mission and support you.

Great mission, awful management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Points of Light Foundation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mission and potential of organization is or could be inspiring. Impact could be very real and on occasion they have great responses to national events.

Cons

The senior management is really bad. Lack of direction, immersed in turf wars, nothing really gets done- mid-level managers are either over-empowered or left hanging in the breeze when things inevitably go wrong.

Get an entire new senior team???? Hire consultants and then listen to what they have to say. There is a lot to be fixed.

Disorganized leadership, too top heavy

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Points of Light Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and mission. Most people care about the work they're doing. Large footprint to do good work.

Cons

Leadership is under-qualified to lead an org of this size and scope. The org is top-heavy (too many senior positions, not enough people to do the work). Constant re-organizing and strategy changes.

Get folks in the door who can actually lead.

Great mission. Lack of focus and mission creep where symbol triumphs over substance

I worked at Points of Light Foundation

Pros

The people are smart, inventive and upbeat. The mission is piwerful and noble. The organization has a unique platform to do great things.

Cons

Lack of transparency, secrecy, command and control structure. The founder is Insulated by cronies who cycle through a revolving door leaving no room for divergent points of view and shared leadership. Over commitment to non - sustainable trendy new initiatives hurts the reputation and performance of the organization overall.

Lose the cronies and get back in touch with the field and the movement. Be willing to say no. Calculate the many opportunity costs against the integrity of the brand and mission.

Neutral

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Points of Light Foundation

Pros

national scope, variety of activities within jobs, creativity

Cons

limited accountability of senior leadership, top heavy structure

Doing administrative assistance work more than recieving job devolpment training.

Current Employee - Volunteer Management Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Volunteer Management Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Points of Light Foundation

Pros

Friendly work environment from the staff

Cons

Tight funding for unique project

More communication between management and staff

Points of Light needs to learn a point or two.

Former Employee - Program Associate. in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Associate. in Washington, DC

I worked at Points of Light Foundation

Pros

The benefits package was very good. The opportunity to build computer skill was very good. The camaraderie between employees was very good. Flexibility of work time and time off was excellent.

Cons

The salary level was below what should have been paid. Salary increases were minuscule. Dealing with HR could be problematic at times depending on who was in charge. It started out with a helpful department, but some personalities came on board that made dealing with HR issues a bigger problem than it should have been.

Take into consideration the needs of Programs other than the one you are involved with. Make sure fund raising is adequate to the needs of the program.