Policy Studies Inc

Policy Studies Inc CEO Margaret M. Laub

Margaret M. Laub

There is good and bad

Analyst (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsYou get to work in an industry that helps out people. People are generally very nice and the company has a nice office.

ConsThe companies upper mngmt is not the greatest. I left because I was worried about the future of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to get their act straight. Look to the future and stop out sourcing their IT division. yes.

The worst of the worst

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsEmployees for the most part are friendly and support one another. Benefits are good. Easy but repetitive work.

ConsCannot keep a Site Manager for long.
    Site Managers the company hires are usually MIA (missing in action) most of the time or the opposite, all in your face.
    Management does not appreciate or care about the employees.
    The title Manager does not warrant you authority to speak to people like they are children or constantly yell throughout the office making your employees feel intimidated.
    Manager does not give you the right to belittle employees.
    Come on, where is the thinking process of those hiring these people.
    There has to be someone out there who can come in and run this office in a professional manner without feeling they own a factory of toy robots. Someone who cares about the contracts but sincerely appreciates those who help you keep the contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementObviously there is a problem at the management level across the board at Policy Studies. Hire a consulting firm to advise the company on how to hire effective managers and to train those that are presently with the company to be true leaders and not tyrants. How to keep morale up with the employees. Whenever the company loses a manager, the morale declines with the employees, extra money is being spent for managers to fly from other PSI locations to supervise this location. Money is spent on hotel, food, rental car. Hiring a consultant to train effective managers is an investment. It will cut down on complaints from employees to corporate regarding the ineffecient, unprofessional manner the present manager is performing. Words on paper can be persuasive but what can you do to keep a balance of good employees on board and deliver promised services without being a dictator.

beware

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Prosyou will stay busy. you can stay in your own world. the benefits are really good. (apl, insurance etc)

Constwenty words wouldn't begin to portray my disgust on how things have been carrying on here. It's amazing that we're still afloat.

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe stop playing and laughing all day long and pay a little bit more attention to the queues and your employees. they are struggling to cover your a**, while all you do is....well what is it exactly that you do?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wouldn't recommend anyone work fot this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe DCU for Georgia PeachCare has excellent work atmosphere and employee morale.
    Easy work...allows you time to find a job that is really satisfying...outside of this company.

ConsManagement displaying favoritism among staff members.
    Management not holding all staff to same standards.
    Management allows people who are not meeting production standards to continue being employed without some type of performance improvement.
    Incompetent management who only work part-time when they are supposed to be full-time staff.
    Medical insurance benefits are the worst and high in cost, especially if you have family coverage.
    Great work is never acknowledged in reviews. The company leadership advises team leads not to give high ratings to staff, even if its deserved.
    No raises in the last two years, even though they were promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job vetting your management staff. Make sure your leadership team is knowledgeable of their position and that of their staff. How can a manager manage what he/she has no knowledge of? Manage your managers!! Improve your employee morale and focusing on the dollar. All the changes the company has gone through the last three or four years has caused a loss in a substanital amount of contracts. That should tell you something about your current processes.

Diverse Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fishers, IN

ProsFlexibility; Consideration is given to creative, positive suggestions

ConsBelow market wages
    Family Medical Benefits are unaffordable

Advice to Senior ManagementI am uncomfortable responding to this question.

Proceed with caution

Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsWork with human services agencies, the people at the project level are usually very talented

ConsSr. Management has driven off key staff, few opportunities for advancement, poor communication about important events, high spend on initiatives that are risky

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics of what made PSI successful.

This company does not deserve it's current rating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLocation is cool and co-workers are nice
    The office is very nice / modern
    Good places to eat
    Close to the light rail
    They provide an eco pass to employees

ConsKnown as one of the worst places to work in Denver
    Arrogant, close minded IT operations people

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I were Maximus, I would consider your acquisition as "an investment into broadening our channel", and bring everything back home and dissolve the PSI Denver, CO office.

PSI is a terrible company to work for. Co-workers and Supervisors have no problem lying to protect their positions.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI think that the projects out in the field did good work and really cared about serving and helping the participants.

ConsManagement communicates poorly to the general staff population and as a result rumors are rampant. Compensation is unevenly administered. There is a total lack of accountability on the part of Director and VP level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board of directors should replace all executive and VP level managers. Or, they should just sell the company like they were planning to.

If I lose my current position and could not get a job anywhere else maybe I would re-apply

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHiring seems inconsistent. One very good entry level followed by terrible mid-level Leader.
    Met some exceptionally talented people in management.
    HR appears well informed of proper business practices.

ConsLeaders culture seems as they are experts of everything regardless of field they are addressing.
    A few exceptional Leaders I met seem to look the other way or don't notice poor lower level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe detailed evaluations on employees and the hiring process appear in the end to be fluff covering poor personal decisions. You are losing very talented people (and missing out on others).

Wouldn't go back

ProsGood benefits
    The employees truly care for the people they serve.
    The company is very inovative and is constantly changing and adapting

ConsEmployees are overloaded
    Employees do not feel appreciated
    Strict site policies make it feel like a call center not a social services office.
    No room to move up. Employees are not moved up do to the fact that they have a large caseload
    Questionable new hires over promoting from within.
    Some employees are targeted

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your workers more freedom, change them from hourly to salary and allow them to get their jobs done. Quit holding promotions/raises over employees head and just be honest that they aren't going to get it. Encourage a more "fun" work enviroment. Hold site managers accountable for employee satisfaction instead of just dollars. Offices need an HR presence instead of only HR reps being in Denver.

Worked for Policy Studies Inc? Contribute to the Community!