Polk County Public School District

Kathryn LeRoy

1. Meh.

Current Employee - Teacher in Bartow, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bartow, FL

I have been working at Polk County Public School District (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kids. Teaching. Summers off. Federal holidays off. Union. We do it for the children.

Cons

Legislation. No room to grow. Insurance sucks. Administrators too far removed from the classroom or were in the class room for less time than some of their teachers.

2. Horrible working conditions; unless your sex, race and religion match the principal.

Former Employee - Teacher, Theatre
    Former Employee - Teacher, Theatre

I worked at Polk County Public School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the kids actually are there to learn and not disrupt. When you reach a kid it's great! Some parents are attentive and volunteer too. Most co-teachers actually care about the job and kids.

Cons

Horrid principals. High favoritism and inequality from those at A and F rated schools. Low pay for teachers with after school program mandates (music, theatre, band). $0.73/hr comparing stipend to hours spent. They will find ways to minimize even this stipend (i.e.: calling a school with Arts Academy in name different than an arts school so no art school bonus for your mandated production directions. Very two-faced principals. Administration, those above the deans, have no idea about specialties offered in their schools. Principles couldn't care about programs, students, staff or anything beyond dress code. Students, at a Title 1 (low income majority) school were suspended for not having bought the required school clothes often. Testing is horrible and abundant. Teachers who want to teach can't because jobs and pay are tied to tests. Too much testing. I rarely had a full class any day. Substitute teachers don't follow plans, unless you plan them to be on their phones. No one on upper administration and above actually seems to care about the kids.

Advice to Management

The Deans and AP are far more in touch with the kids and needs of the schools then the Principles. Maybe give them a shot at promotion and get rid of (additional) bad principals. Stop giving money to the same schools (A,B) and focus on building up the F schools not punish them further. The differences in capabilities is substantial and furthers socio-economic gaps.

"You never go broke, as long as I owe you"

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Lakeland, FL

Pros

Really? This place takes your salary increases while increasing the cost of your benefits.

Cons

Slave plantations had more benefits

Advice to Management

Rid yourselves of yourselves

5. Bus Driver

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Polk County Public School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer off, Holidays off, Paid thru summer thru holdback account, M-F basically bankers hours. Decent medical benefits.

Cons

Low wages, low wage increases, schools not properly dealing with bullies, all race racism, bigotry, not removing violent and offense children, constant extreme noise above O.S.H.A. recommended safe levels, make less money then truck drivers, less money then babysitters.

Advice to Management

pay us on an equivalent scale of hazardous cargo CDL drivers to get us in the seat, after all were hauling "Precious Cargo" aren't we. And get the schools them selves to take a proactive stance on removing disruptive children from the bus quickly and permanently. A three strikes your out rule, to keep us in the seat.

6. Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher in Lakeland, FL

Pros

Summers off, 90 minute planning (unless meetings), 2 weeks at Christmas, Home by 4:00, Online videos to assist with teaching, Health insurance is very good especially with the free health clinics (easily the best part of education)

Cons

Salaries do not compare well to other states, Not rewarded for master's, Small step increase, Lousy student discipline (student behavior is awful) as students are often sent back to class, No parent participation, and of course testing, testing, testing, You can't teach how you want as it's mandated by the county, The county went outside of the county to bring in a superintendent and she brought with her assistant superintendents with little teaching experience (there is no accountability for her)

Advice to Management

Stop being so test-happy, Get rid of end of the year and end of course tests, Pay teachers more (especially for a master's), Actually come into the classrooms and see what goes on, Fight for TEACHERS too rather than trying to blame teachers for the problems

7. Good Place to Work but Crap Pay

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Rockmart, GA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Rockmart, GA

I have been working at Polk County Public School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and helpful. The Kids are awesome! I absolutely love the job!

Cons

The pay makes it pointless. only get paid once a month. Tried to get a paraprofessional job but the jobs kept getting taken by certified teachers that just wanted their foot in the door.... even though I was suggested by principle several times.

Great school, great coworkers.

Pros

-Excellent Benefits -Different Locations -Very Good Union

Cons

-Below Average Salary for Most Employees

9. How much more can we take?

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Polk County Public School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

time off, benefits, weekends off, most holidays off

Cons

constant change, no yearly step increases, constant stress, insane workload, insane expectations, administration does not back the teachers, discipline from administration is a joke, students aren't held accountable for most things, students take week long vacations during school yet it is the teacher's fault that they score low on an assessment.

Advice to Management

treat all teachers fairly

10. Teacher

I have been working at Polk County Public School District full-time

Pros

Pay, Kids, Pay, Kids, Pay

Cons

Pay, Kids, Pay, Kids, Pay

11. The work is what I thought it would be.

Current Employee - Teacher in Winter Haven, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Winter Haven, FL

I have been working at Polk County Public School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great hours and time off.

Cons

Not being able to control much.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the job.

RSS Feed </> Embed