Polk County Public School District

Updated May 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kathryn LeRoy

The work is what I thought it would be.

Teacher (Current Employee) Winter Haven, FL

ProsGreat hours and time off.

ConsNot being able to control much.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for the job.

great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsGreat benefits- health care and retirement
    Time off- great holiday vacations, not like most other jobs

ConsBudget cuts have caused downsizing in most departments. Employees are expected to do more without being compensated. I haven't gotten a raise in over 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more money in the wellness program. Otherwise the teachers and the kids will suffer.

Substitute Teacher

Substitute (Current Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsFlexible Schedule, fair pay, exciting job

ConsMost schools are disorganized and not attentive to subs needs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The teacher is blamed for everything.

Teacher (Current Employee) Bartow, FL

ProsYou don't miss holidays with your family.

ConsLong Hours, High Stress, Poor Working Conditions.

Teachers are blamed for student behavior and student grades. We are micromanaged about how to teach and are then held responsible for test scores. Trying to maintain discipline is a nightmare when parents don't back you up (of course, their little angel does no wrong) and the deans give the kids nothing more than a slap on the wrist (although they say that this is what the code of conduct demands.) Teachers also spend a lot of their own time and money on supplies for the classroom, taking work home, after-school activities, and doing things such as cleaning because the custodial crews are either truly on a tight budget or maybe they are just lazy and not held responsible.

(By the way, I've worked at several schools so this isn't just my principal)

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your teachers as the trained professionals they are. Let them TEACH the way they know will work. Support your staff in discipline procedures. Make sure that the ESE students are properly supported and not just thrown into the mainstream to wreak havoc on the educational process. The superintendent should make UNANNOUNCED visits to schools and go where SHE chooses to go, not just where the principal steers her to go. Better yet, sit down with some teachers in private and ask probing questions, allowing them to answer honestly, so that you can see what's REALLY going on.

The only focus is on student performance - regardless of how hard you work

Assistant Principal (Former Employee) Lakeland, FL

ProsThe Benefits and time off

ConsExpectations are to produce…period. It doesn’t matter how hard the teachers work or how difficult the student behaviors are

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more autonomy. Provide a differentiated approach - a Magnet school that earns an A every year is not the same as a 90+% Title 1 school with students who are at least 2 years behind. Yet your expectations are STILL the same…doesn’t make sense. Teachers are expected to differentiate- why don’t you?

look elsewhere for a career

Prosno cost health insurance
    good prescription plan

Consdistrict expects way to much out of their employees
    very low morale
    lower pay than surrounding districts

Advice to Senior Managementwe are only human

It was definitely an education - for the first time in my life, I saw the worst in people.

General Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) Poinciana, FL

ProsAt first everyone is very nice & friendly.
    Summers off / Your out by 3:30 pm
    State Retirement Plan
    No real accountability (as long as you keep your month shut, play nice & don't make waves you can have a job for life - just ask the many principals of the many D & F schools in the county)

ConsAbsolutely one of the most horrible experiences of my life !!! As a Teacher the kids treat you like crap, the parents blame you for everything (because of course it could not be their little angles who are the problem) and the administrators treat you like you are child, micro-managing their staff, talk down to them and at times being downright rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell they already got rid of they old Sherrie B. Nickell - but they have to seriously clean house and get rid of all the dead weight principals (that came back after retirement & getting a nice fat paycheck) too much monies are spend on resources teachers, programs, equipment and the bottom line you are still 63 worst school district out of 67 in FL. Your kids score toward the bottom percent in the nation in reading, writing, math & science. And your teachers are some of the lowest paid in the nation.

Teacher

Teacher (Former Employee)

ProsSome professional and helpful co-workers. Students are generally respectful and kind. The time off is adequate.

ConsUnprofessional co-workers, early hours, uncaring in-school management, teachers having to put up with aggressive students and the administration does nothing but send the student right back to the classroom. I have worked in a few schools and it is a hit or miss. A good idea to talk to others who work in the school to get an idea of how supportive the administration is.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit spending a fortune on buying expensive programs which you only implement for a couple of years, discover doesn't work, then turn around and spend millions on yet another program, implement, discover doesn't work, then turn around and..... you get the point. The money could be better spent on attracting the best professionals in the field with wages which are more competitive. Finally, show your employees that you care about them.

clerk specialist for customer service

Proshealth plan, spring break, thanksgiving week, christmas break

Conslow salary, they don't really do a lot of activities to recognize the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter the salaries for the employees

Great kids to work with, poor structure to work under."

Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) Winter Haven, FL

ProsThe kids in this school district were great to work with, and were very appreciative of the work that was done.

ConsThe school district constantly changes expectations and has very little respect for personal/work balance.

Worked for Polk County Public School District? Contribute to the Community!