Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount(in 37 reviews)

• Great brand name, great discounts, generally great co-workes(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job(in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent(in 20 reviews)

I learned and grew due to my excellent development focused manager.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLarge budget for development. Design driven company with strong focus on quality. Your experience is largely based on your manager and others you need to work with on a daily bases. You need a strong supportive manager to advance your career. There are some excellent managers, but also a lot of poor ones. There is no guidance or training for managers, which means there are no standards on how a manager should develop or treat their team. This is open to interpretation and the discretion of each manager, which can be good or extremely bad.

ConsEmployees with unprofessional working styles and poor treatment of others lower on the hierarchy are tolerated. The company creates an unsafe environment for open discussion about these issues. An employee will fear retaliation for bringing these issues to HR.
    Hierarchical structure where you are treated and respected based on your title. There is a strong internal culture, which needs to be respected and followed in order to develop your career here. If you operate outside the “cultural rules” you will not succeed.

Satisfied, but I don't feel as if I'm growing.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC

ProsGreat discounts on the brand, if that's your style. Company provides an abundance of community support. Direct manager believes in work / life balance.

ConsThere is hardly any communication between departments. Training is extremely minimal to non-existent. Not much respect shown between managers, very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs much improvement.

For nothing

Temp (Current Employee) High Point, NC

ProsYou have a job. if you ever make it to full time it not a bad place to work, if you ever get that chance

ConsAs a temp. They keep most as temps and never give full time job ,because we are cheap and disposable. I have worked harder than most full time people there and still have nothing to show for it. Our pay never goes up, no days off and work much harder than most. Still yet can be let go any given time. The only way it seems you can get anywhere in the company if you are fake, kiss butt or screw/suck someone.... really unhappy with the company that has people over departments that have no common sense! truly just a meat house ! as far as customer satisfaction well lets just say they do a lot of things hoping the the customer don't notice........

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to the little people they r truly the ones who keep the place going.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rationalistic Approach work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discounts on the merchandise
    Friendly work environment

ConsHigh turnover rate for both staff and management

Eh alright...has it perks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Pros-Flexibility with scheduling while I was in school. If you're full time---forget it
    -Able to take time off when needed (except major holidays)
    -Employee discount
    -Meeting diverse people from around the world
    -Steady flow of customers so not too boring

Cons-Mediocre pay for the amount of work expected
    -Have to harass the customers with millions of questions to complete a sale (cashier)
    -Stayed busy and hectic steadily
    -So many "rules" to follow in order to uphold the brand
    -Not much room for advancement depeneding on your position

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up and grow up...your workers are not slaves. Keep the drama and gossiping to a minimum. Consider more effective training techniques and employee incentives. In doing this, you may reduce the turnover rate.

It is a great place to work

Management At A Retail Store (Current Employee)

ProsYou have a lot of opportunity to move up in the company

ConsThe retail hours are long and late.

Exciting, Fast pace, and fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob had flexible hours and there were many different job functions to do there

ConsLack of pay and hours

I worked for the company for five years.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Woodbridge, VA

ProsPride in the brand, working with an array of individuals, easy to move up if you're determined and hard working

ConsDistrict Manager not hiring quality General Managers, I went through three in my 5 years. Working retail requires working on weekends and holidays. For as much money as this company makes, they can afford to pay a lot better, and this goes with all levels, sales associate to general manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand and care about your employees. Listen and take feedback. Acknowledge when you're wrong and correct it.

great experience to be a part of a huge crazy family

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proslearning what makes an iconic brand work, working with beautiful materials in collection, possible to have balanced work/life ratio. very little evolution happens here- ralph sticks to what ralph does best, which is great for classists.

Consvery political, and because of the size of the organization it takes 25 people to make one decision- but once you learn how to navigate the politics, it's great. limited opportunity to grow once you get to mid management- most people stay for a looong time.

Ok company. Great for your résumé

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou can learn a lot, but you have to find ways to learn within your job. It's a large company, but each individual brand is like a small company. The discount is great, when they offer an extra discount .

ConsThere are a lot of executives, most have little to no experience in the department they are managing so there is little support for growth unless you transfer or leave. I would like to take classes but there is no tuition assistance or reimbursement in the company. Colleagues and managers are not very trustworthy, and continually cause drama and backstab everyone. I can't say I would want to come back to work for this company if I left.

This company is very political...... Friends hire friends, and don't you dare question it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging isn't about being mean or demanding respect, it's about leading and teaching. Get involved, be on time, and know what you are talking about. Be a positive influence and reward your employees for their hard work, since we know they did all the work for you to get that bonus.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!