Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros:
  • "Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Great customers; great product; great discount"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "You can't really expect internal promotions if you are a part-time or contract at a retail"
    in 18 reviews
  • "work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

During this period of extreme low employment levels, this company was initially a refuge from routines of no employment.

Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFunctioning on less than 23 hour per week provided minimal, though highly valuable experience in regard to location stock levels and customer/client desires. PRL primary goals were to please the potential customer/client.

ConsDuring 7.5 year employment with CompUSA, accesses to other location stock levels was immediate, as product could be retrieved from another (local) location, within 36 - 48 hours. PRL's inventory system demands reprogramming/re-configuration.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconfigure network store inventory system, that customer chosen product could be retrieved from another location or nearby factory outlet location.

Overall great place to work

Project Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorld class brand with great people

ConsVery politically driven, too many layers of management

Advice to Senior ManagementGive autonomy to the groups within the company,

Is a great company where you can express your ideas

Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can grow moving from different groups

ConsNot much opportunities abroad for my job type

The Golden Age of PRL

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat clothing. Great benefits. Excellent management and training.

ConsPromotion based on looks and wardrobe, ethnically prejudiced.

I worked in design at Ralph Lauren for a year

Assistant Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, stability, some great people to work with.

ConsUnfulfilling creatively (but that could have been limited to my department), a few superiors that were fantastic, and a few that did nothing, took credit for others' work, and got promotions for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter oversight of management.

Great Job!

Lehi, UT

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time

ProsYou get to work in a friendly, fun environment. The company is really good with scheduling and trying to get everyone the shifts they want.

ConsI work part time, and I would like to get more hours. I would be great if I could get the same hours and shifts every week, so I have a solid schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is awesome.

Senior Level Executive at Ralph Lauren

Senior Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 8 years

ProsRalph Lauren is an solid and growing Consumer Goods/Luxury company and during my 8 years working at the corporate level (Senior Director of I.T._M&A_HR_L&D) I experienced growth, advancement and worked with (and in some cases) for some of the smartest and creative people I know. ...and don't even get me started on the Polo Perks! Amazing!

ConsLike many companies, some Division run better then others, however Ralph Lauren Divisions (i.e., Menswear vs. Womenswear vs. I.T. vs. Finance vs. HR vs. Sourcing, etc.) tend to run is silos...very independent from each other. Call it the product of being 40+ old, having the "we have always done it this way" attitude, change and the conflict that comes with change is RL Corps biggest challenge. Again, you could have a division (i.e., I.T) that runds amazingly well, but then have a division (i.e., HR) that has broken processes, almost non-existent follow up and follow-through and at the end of the day you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your HR division, put more time and thought into a PMO (Project Management Office).

Great first job, good pay

Women's Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Allen, TX

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Raises (even if it is just a little one). After about my fist six months I worked my way from $8.00/hr to $8.24/hr. Then I left for college and came back for the summer and was bumped up to $8.75/hr. I was informed, however, that since I had left that new employees were starting off with $9.00/hr. Oh well, I was happy to get a raise!
-Some of the most compassionate managers. There have been a number of managers I have absolutely loved working here. Some I still keep in touch with. Those are the managers that really listen and care about what you have to say and try to help you the best they can.
-Availability is honored. During high school, they allowed me to have Fridays off and didn't ever schedule me outside of times I had made available. If there were any floor sets they wanted me to work (overnight shifts), they would ask first and not put me on the schedule for it unless I said. As long as you ask off 2 weeks in advance, you could usually get days off you wanted. There's also a good amount of employees, so there's options for getting shifts covered.
-Co-workers were like a big family. I loved the people at Ralph Lauren. There are always those at a job you may not be fond of, but the employees are amazing. Many times we would hang out after work, and we would all help each other out if any of us needed anything. Laid back but professional environment!
-Good break schedule. The breaks are laid out for the managers to check off and depending on the day, your breaks can be pushed to when you want to go. If you work 8+ hours you get two 15 minute breaks and an hour lunch. I have heard of some places where you work a full day and only get maybe a 30 minute break. Polo takes care of it's employees!

Cons-Sometimes management was a little unprofessional. I'd hear about gossip between managers, but it didn't bother me much. Also, at the Allen Outlet store they had managers assigned certain hours of the day to keep track of sales and watch the floor. This created competition between managers sometimes and could lead to unorganized break scheduling and misunderstandings.
-My location, the Allen Outlets, was the center of foreign and rude customers. Sometimes you get great customers, but other times you'll get those who tear up your just folded piles right in front of you with no consideration of the work that went into it.
-Depending on which managers work, you could be constantly nagged to give your name to every customer and make sure you're asking those open ended questions. Sometimes it just seemed like your manager on duty didn't think you knew how to do your job.

Exhausting and aging!

Fabric Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI've learned a lot. I feel that anyone that has worked for RL is a harder worker than anyone else in the industry! We definitely move mountains for the brand.

ConsNo raises, manipulative bosses, long hours and no respect. The thing is everyone is covering their own butt and trying to get brownie points for it- watch out! HR is not to be trusted!! Be careful with even telling your co-workers anything! They may love you but the nature of the company is talk behind everyone back....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking the kool-aid and be nicer to your employees!

Good experience overall at Polo

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Leesburg, VA

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company to work for, especially for a first time job. Had a good experience. Good managers to work for as well.

ConsSlow pay increase, worked there for almost 4 years as a sales associate and never made it to $10/hr.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Polo Ralph Lauren reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Polo Ralph Lauren CEO Ralph Lauren. All 328 reviews posted anonymously by Polo Ralph Lauren employees.