Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros:
  • "Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Great customers; great product; great discount"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "You can't really expect internal promotions if you are a part-time or contract at a retail"
    in 18 reviews
  • "work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company but not so great quality of staff.

Selling Manager (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and discounts are great.

ConsOpportunities to grow are very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore attention needs to be given to the talent within the company instead of outsourcing.

Fantastic Corporate Culture and Great, Supportive Management

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

ProsRL is the best place I've ever worked. Not only are the benefits amazing and the employee perks enviable, the management really cares about their employees. The organization celebrates diversity, charity, and new ideas. I couldn't recommend it more.

ConsIt is very competitive because it's a great place to work and because of the "glamour" of the brand. I had to get in through a third party contracting agency, because the seven or so applications I submitted led to nothing, so it can take a lot of work to get your foot in the door. Worth it, though. Also, during peak season (Christmas), you WILL work seven days a week. But it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who knows retail, and management is right there in the trenches with you, so nobody is asking you to do anything they aren't doing themselves.

Needs more structured intern learning programs

Polo Ralph Lauren Collection Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren as an intern for less than a year

ProsExposure to runway experience and rich inspiration that builds up to a collection as well as some celebrity visits here and there.

ConsNeeds more structure and content for interns to actually be learning something or having some kind of creative input, not just organizing binders and pinning up sketches.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it was amazing to just have the exposure to design meetings and illustrators and the behind the scenes work of the collection, there weren't any creative work that was required of me and therefore learned nothing much more than just some organizational work...i have a line on my resume and that's about it.

If you want to work retail, Ralph Lauren is the best to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren

ProsMany opportunities to grow, good benefits if you are full time. The company really takes care of their team and cares about you.

ConsOnly con I can think of is, its harder to get promoted because everyone is fighting for any open position that becomes available. You might have to move if you want a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from your team. Esp if they are expressing there is horrible management!

Sales Position

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Lebanon, TN

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than a year

ProsAccess to Benefits even on hourly pay

ConsHigh turnover and demanding managers

Excellent for a resume with a High End Retailer but HORRIBLE for company morale, pay/benefits, expectations

Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWonderful coworkers. The name Ralph Lauren is a plus for any resume. Scheduling is very flexible (though never done right..see cons). Discount is 30%, sometimes special discounts online.

ConsPay at this location is the lowest in the area. After several years with the company, still learn I have additional responsibilities or responsibilities I have been performing are not mine. Their interweb system is like using dial-up. Constantly get different assignments for the same project by DM, RM, GM

Advice to Senior ManagementDM, RM & GM need to get on the same page regarding assignments. Raise the salary, someone who has been there 5 years shouldn't be making the same amount as a 16 year old working at Forever 21 a few stores down.

Polo Ralph Lauren Experience (online)

Ralph Lauren.com Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
High Point, NC

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are generally friendly and fun to be around
Comfortable atmosphere
Alot of autonomy in making decisions to pacify the customers

ConsNo flexibility
A lot of favoritism
No days off on important holidays, unless you have time off to use

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that employees are your customers and humans to and that they deserve to be treated fairly in all areas--scheduling flexibility, compensation, and advancements

Great Company!!! Atlanta store has the worst management team.

Sales Professional (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time

ProsGreat customers; great product; great discount

ConsUnorganized and dishonest management team; juvenile behavior; very "clickish"

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example; do not engage in gossip and spread rumors; foster a friendly non hostile working environment.

Upper Management is Demotivating

Internal Auditor (Current Employee)
Lyndhurst, NJ

ProsWork isn't very difficult
Get to wear casual clothes daily

ConsThe upper management in my department is completely demotivating. They posses the characteristics that are the complete opposite of what makes a good leader. Constantly looking to blame someone when there is a mistake. Everyone above the manager level is extremely awkward and socially inept. Micromanagement. Unwillingless to listen to ideas/suggestions that go against how they think things should be working even if the suggestion can strengthen a control or provide increased efficiency to a project. They are extremely inefficient; would rather sit and speculate for hours on why something is done a certain way when it could just be answered with a quick 10 minute phone call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask your employees "how we can make this a better work environment?" actually mean it! Don't ask just to say you asked and then not listen.

Full time employee for 2 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time

ProsThe discount is nice. The hours are consistent, the benefits are okay.

ConsVery little internal movement up the "ladder". Job positions are often made up to accommodate the higher ups favorite workers. Very sexist working environment, pretty boys are often favorited.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the little people, it will pay off BIG TIME.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Polo Ralph Lauren reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Polo Ralph Lauren CEO Ralph Lauren. All 330 reviews posted anonymously by Polo Ralph Lauren employees.