Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros:
  • "Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Great customers; great product; great discount"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "You can't really expect internal promotions if you are a part-time or contract at a retail"
    in 18 reviews
  • "work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not treated as a person.

Sales Floor Supervisor (Former Employee)
Gilroy, CA

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

ProsSwag, have to wear Ralph Lauren dress code, have to spend your own paycheck on Ralph Lauren work clothes

ConsManagement goes through high turnover they last 6 months maximum.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees don't stay in your office all day watching netflix.

Get rid of the "Yes" men

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 8 years

Pros50% discount on clothing, benefits

ConsExpectations from managers were unrealistic, sometimes unwilling to work with you and provide an appropriate amount of time to complete a project. This is partially because they were a bad manager to begin with and also didn't understand how to do the work themselves. So they would agree to take on a project at the expense of the people doing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent people, not someone trying to manage up

Sales Associate, Lots of Work for Little Money

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get a discount on the clothing if you want to use it however they make you wear the clothes so you better be ready to invest your own money to begin working

ConsCompensation was terrible
They expect you to stay for long hours, aka not schedule you to work till 1 am then expect you to stay to build a visual wall with minimal help and instruction

Not a Fan

Hell, MI

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

ProsDiscount on clothing items. Some of the other coworkers were nice. Other than that, I've nothing more to say on the subject.

ConsCall-ins, terrible hours, no opportunity to advance within, mean managers, lazy managers, managers getting arrested at work all of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps you should try a commission-based system. No call-ins; provide opportunities for eager young employees to advance. Don't outsource. Somehow the background check gets muckied, so keep the managers more accountable. Your stores are probably gang headquarters.

Great clothes, terrible management

San Marcos, TX

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

ProsThe only good thing about working at Polo is getting a pay check and getting a discount on the clothes.

ConsThere are so many employees that management usually doesn't even know the majority of their staff. No structure and the training is terrible. Extremely high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to get a better structure of training and learn how to be better managers. Most of the managers don't care about the employees and get mad at them for very small things.

Toxic environment and zero job security; rumors become truth

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEmployee discount. Great pay for VP's and above. Bonuses used to be better, but new CFO is cracking down. Benefits used to be okay, but now they are horrible and high-priced.

ConsYour success is ENTIRELY dependent on who you work for and your relationship with an "all too powerful" HR organization. Also, as you move up, your next roles are chosen for you by HR based on organizational needs - not your professional development goals. You can't trust anyone at RL. People talk behind each other's backs and start rumors, and that perception becomes reality - regardless of truth. I spent the last 80% of my time at RL wondering when I might lose my job or if I had mistakenly looked at an SVP's admin the wrong way. The US Wholesale business calls the shots.....every other business or division is considered second tier. And, the business is run by senior executives who consider themselves gods. Two pieces of advice: 1. Your boss is NEVER wrong (and if he is, word of advice, don't say anything). 2. All you can do is drink the Kool Aid and hope that you don't choke on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementOPEN YOUR EYES. Information is censored by the time it makes its way up to Senior Management. Dive deeper into your numbers to see what some of the groups are hiding....particularly US Wholesale and Production. Also, right now your star employees are the ones who manage UP.....but berate the people who work for them.

no culture

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time

Proshigh commission rate, customer ownership

Consbad management and no values

Advice to Senior Managementteamwork development

Customer Service rep

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than a year

ProsHorrible hours, horrible management, poor hourly rate

ConsGood environment with customers sometimes.

Exhausting and aging!

Fabric Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI've learned a lot. I feel that anyone that has worked for RL is a harder worker than anyone else in the industry! We definitely move mountains for the brand.

ConsNo raises, manipulative bosses, long hours and no respect. The thing is everyone is covering their own butt and trying to get brownie points for it- watch out! HR is not to be trusted!! Be careful with even telling your co-workers anything! They may love you but the nature of the company is talk behind everyone back....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking the kool-aid and be nicer to your employees!

Disgusting place to work.

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros50% off over-priced clothing. Otherwise, nothing positive to say.

ConsToxic politics. Avoid at all costs.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Polo Ralph Lauren reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Polo Ralph Lauren CEO Ralph Lauren. All 334 reviews posted anonymously by Polo Ralph Lauren employees.