Polo Ralph Lauren

Updated October 15, 2014
3.2

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount (in 42 reviews)

• Great discount, company has a reputable name to use for future references (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • disorganized, not a good work - life balance, very long hours (in 13 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Ralph Lauren Childrenswear is the worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ralph Lauren sounds impressive to other people who have no idea what a terrible work environment it is.

Cons

This place sucks horribly. Childrenswear can't seem to keep employees for long since it's such an awful place to work. The managers have no idea how to manage and will blame you for literally everything that isn't your fault. No one knows what they are doing. It is completely disorganized and everyone is rude. They only promote people they know personally/are friends with. They freak out if you are a minute late. There is no work life balance. They expect your life to revolve around them when they act like you're disposable and don't value you at all. No one has your back. Pays lower than other companies. No room for growth. Can't wait to get out of here.

I hated this job

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was okay and there are a lot of talented wonderful people that work for the company.

Cons

There is little to no appreciation for employees that work behind the scenes. All of the incentives and accolades go to the sales staff. Upper management was HORRIBLE! They make you do a thousand jobs and nepotism there is heavy. It is a very vein environment so if you don't fit their standard of beauty (blonde hair blue eyed, preferably male) then know you will be spending the rest of your time there being treated as second class. I've been told that if I have an opinion I should keep it to myself by upper management (verbatim). There is extremely high turnover and every time someone would quit or was fired they would take months to replace them leaving the rest of the staff overworked and underpaid. There was little to no advancement within the company especially if you did not fit into the visual status quo.

Teach your managers how to manage employees properly and how to talk to people. Pay your employees a proper wage. Recognize the talent you have and promote that talent. Thoroughly think things through before you execute them.

as if we weren't there

Former Employee - Vintage Temp in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vintage Temp in New York, NY

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren (less than an year)

Pros

none really, i would not go back.

Cons

this was a temp assignment in RL vintage and no one treated us like humans.... we were there simply as a set of hands. i was smarter than all the full time staff and was treated like i was invisible

take a look around and see who has brains

Great Team

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quickly can build a great team environment.

Cons

Not easy to move to different position

Allow

Highly structured company, middle level management not the best

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Miami, FL

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand. The pay is alright - $9.50-$10 per hour. I worked there for a year and a half and I was a lead cashier. Highly structured company.

Cons

If you work at an outlet store, you usually get out really late because you get a lot of traffic, over 2000 people walk in. The store is usually a mess. Not that many chances of growing within the company.

Great People. Great culture

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great. Very communal workplace. Everyone in the office was very friendly. Everyone was very willing to help me get up to speed when I joined the team.

Cons

Doesn't feel like there is a lot of room for upward movement. Compensation was a little low for the position. Other than that, hard to say that there was anything that I was really dissatisfied with.

Stay away!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good discount on RL clothing

Cons

Culture of company is to just repeat what has been done in the past without thought or reasoning behind it. Adding value to the company is just not possible with current leadership. A few good people carry the weight of everyone else with no reward while the only way to get promoted is to either quit/have them think you are at risk, have some kind of nervous breakdown, or be close friends with the right people.

Give bonuses to all levels (not just Sr. Directors), let people really develop and rotate (if you are too valuable they will force you to stay in that role forever), see the writing on the wall and embrace change

The overall experience was positive.

Former Employee - Product Development Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Development Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren (more than an year)

Pros

It is great place for career stability and career growth.

Cons

The organization is very large.

Disorganized, unprofessional. Created a false front to the business, bad management increased with time.

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, company has a reputable name to use for future references. Well established brand, easy to sell the product.

Cons

Bad management team, unprofessional HR department. Inconsistent with rules, regulations, hard to work on commission fairly. Unprofessional associates. Bad compensation for the amount of work required for the job. Fluctuating pay checks. Not reliable.

Time off polices are inconsistent. Floor management is poorly organized. Wardrobing is required but sales associates make little to afford the required clothing. Upper management and regional management are kept in the dark about serious sales professional issues. Everything has a false front and isn't how it seems. Stores have a low retention rate keeping associates.

Wow...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the employee discount and the majority of people who work there!

Cons

Lots of spend in ridiculous areas - very antiquated IT systems that caused a loss of productivity. Very little on-going maintenance support for a bunch of their stuff

Listen to EVERYONE. Just because you hire an "expert" doesn't mean they know everything! People down the chain should have a voice, be informed and...be heard. Don't just sweep the bad employee reviews under the rug. Also, implement career pathing. Some groups did it very well others, not so much.

Polo Ralph Lauren Photos