Polsinelli Shughart

Add Photos

W. Russell Welsh

Life in IT

ProsGreat team, growing company, 6 weeks a year PTO

Conslots of politics, it's like having 750 bosses. It's not about the impact of an outage, it's all about who is affected. A single person can easily trump an entire office or project if it's the right person having an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild some processes in IT.

Good growing firm

ProsPS has the right business mentality to succeed in a new legal market

ConsRapid growth can cause confusion and concern

My experience at Polsinelli was frustrating and disheartening.

Attorney (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThere is a tremendous amount of potential at this firm, however, management needs a lot of work. Its a great place to work if you want to slack and not make minimum hours, as those qualities do not seem to stop anyone from making shareholder. Beautiful office in in Lodo in Denver, competitive salary and decent benefits.

ConsThis is a large national firm in name only. Management still treats the firm as if it is a regional KC firm. If you are someone who works hard and produces for the firm, do not expect to be rewarded appropriately. Management is incredibly sloppy and inconsistent. Expect that once the old guard is out, the firm will adopt more of a large firm mentality rather than the small firm one that it maintains today. Support staff is also very frustrated with everything. The most telling thing I can say is that when I resigned, I had at least 10 people (attorneys and support staff) ask me to keep them in mind if something opened up in my new firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementTighten up and start managing the firm as a large national firm, maintain consistency with enforcing firm policies and try to incentivize people to work hard. Pay attention to retention rate, it is incredibly high in the Denver office. I know of several attorneys in the Denver office who have plans to leave in the near future.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a great law firm to work.

Associate (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsRight now the firm is growing strategically and it is great to be on the ground floor of this growth.
    Reasonable billable hour requirement with the mentality of a small firm and the resources of a national player.
    Very diverse practice area and the ability to have a lot of responsibility very quickly, which is different from other large firm experiences.

ConsIt has taken some time for the salary to catch up with the firm's growth when compared to similar sized firms.
    The multiple offices have not perfected the use of other offices. This results in a very siloed feeling with respect to each office.

Great Benefits - And that's about all

Assistant (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsI worked here for just over two years and can say that the benefits and pay are the best you will find at any firm in Kansas City. There are some attorney's that actually know what they are doing and enjoy practicing law.

ConsIn the two departments I worked for, I found that the values and experience of the managers was almost embarrassing, or should be to the firm. It is an organization that’s entire focus is "not what you know, but who you know." At times it is flagrantly obvious that those they hire have little to no experience. The managers I worked for were some of the worst kinds of people and even though HR is well aware of the problems they do nothing to curb this behavior - in some instances they penalize the employee for talking about the problem at all. If you are a person that believes in ethics, respect and hard work, then Polsinelli is definitely not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire the department heads to actually prove their worth. Stop promoting bullying and poor treatment of employees.

Great environment to learn and grow in

Litigation Paralegal (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsBeing a larger law firm, there is room for lateral movement into different practice areas. There was some flexibility with work schedule. The resources (technology, supplies and staff personnel) provided by the firm were good.

ConsTypical law firm where performance bonus and salary increase is tied to billable hours. Benefits in general were okay but the retirement match could have been better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue offering a learning environment where attorneys and paralegals alike can expand their knowledge.

Missouri based firm.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsBeautiful office and great location.

ConsPay is on the low side for a Chicago firm. No bonuses. Office manager is lacking in skills. Large employee turnover by both attorneys and staff. The CEO does not acknowledge anyone that is not an attorney. He will walk right by you as if you are not sitting there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your assistants with respect. Bring your pay level to Chicago standards not Missouri standards.

Like the real estate bubble, this firm is going to burst

Associate (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsOver 600 attorneys. Good benefits for associates and shareholders.

ConsInadequate support staff. "Hands off" management style. No sense of community. The firm still uses Office 2003, and cuts costs by understaffing essential services like the IT dept. and the legal support staff. The office equipment is ancient and breaks down frequently, just like the firm's operating systems. No training for new associates. No communication between shareholders and associates fresh out of law school. The firm is stretched way too thin. It won't last in its current state.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of your departments. Pay the staff and paralegals more and hire more of them. Get rid of the staff member that consistently shows up to work only 4 days a week. Get rid of foul mouthed, rumor spreading legal assistants in the toxic tort department. Upgrade all office equipment. Fire one trick shareholders.

Polsinelli is a good place to work.

Kansas City, MO

ProsBenifits are good and most of the people very professional.

ConsPoor work\life balance in most departments.

Headline

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThere are a lot of great people that work for the firm.

ConsIt is a fast paced environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time.

Worked for Polsinelli Shughart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Polsinelli Shughart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Polsinelli Shughart CEO W. Russell Welsh. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Polsinelli Shughart employees.