PolyOne

Add Photos

PolyOne Chairman, President, and CEO Stephen D. Newlin

Stephen D. Newlin

Great colleges / bad company Being still there ... But not very long anymore

Sales (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsVery helpful colleges, good climate on lower levels of organisation

ConsManagement worst ever, only focus on stock price and working capital.
    No personal creativity, ideas, suggestions for improvements and new developments - simply blocked by management, cause it costs. Have no visions except rise of stock price.
    Very long approval process via several levels of management kills everything.
    Highly non-ethic behaviour against customers, suppliers and people working there; in contradiction to their own policy on the paper. People are not treated as humans by management and customers only to squeeze for higher margins.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce headcountof non-productive managers, only existing for themselves and hunting for bonus others at the front / machine / in contact with the customers are earning.
    Ask the people why so many of them are leaving even with competition clausle !

Professional top sales environment

Account (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent training in sales, encourage team participation. Compensated fairly with good benefits. You were rewarded for work accomplished, but also penalized for missing targets. A great environment for former GE Plastic employees

ConsVery competitive internal environment. There is high requirement on forecasting accuracy and detail reporting. Much of this work needed to be done on after hours time and cut into family life.

Does solid compensation overcome high stress and low career options? Yes...for now!

Senior Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Avon Lake, OH

ProsI was initially attracted to PolyOne due to their competitive salary and bonus structure - sales bonuses are earned from individual results, unlike other companies where their bonuses are mostly determined by how well the overall company does. This company puts an especially high emphasis on the role of sales, and there are many opportunities for public recognition. While some of my colleagues have personality conflicts with the senior management running each division, I find that they are very straightforward in their comments. Sometimes it's hard to hear, but it's better than being lied to. If you blame them for wanting to make money, you've come to the wrong company.

ConsI started off making about 20% more than a few of my colleagues who had been with the company a number of years and had much more experience than I in the plastics business. While I alone now benefit from this (I never shared my true salary with them!), it seems to me that PolyOne treats new people better than those who have been loyal for some time. I've also only seen a handful of times where someone internally got promoted out of an individual contributor role. The reality sees to be, if you're doing good at your job, you're too valuable to lose, and the company is better off hiring management from the outside. This is good for short term stability, but I know it ticks the current employees off.

The work-life balance is average to poor, but that's what's expected when you're focused on short term results. We continually change course, have weekly changes in strategic direction, but at the end of the day, we go after "everything" because nobody wants to say no and be blamed for missing their number. I set my own personal limits, like no emailing on Saturdays, because if you don't set your own boundaries, you'll go nuts. It's worked for the stock price, but I question if this madness is sustainable.

In all companies, there will be people who take credit when things go right, and blame others when the bottom falls out. Expect the same here. Luckily I had a good mentor when I started, and took the time to develop professional relationships with those known for that to minimize my exposure. So far, it's worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul human resources - Do your best to avoid ticking off your workforce by promoting competent people who could be superstars with some coaching. Be clear on expectations, and reward people for their accomplishments. And stop cutting costs to make your numbers look better. Having to drive 7 hours because you didn't want to approve a $400 plane ticket - come on!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great vision but be prepared to work very hard

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPays very well - very competitive. Strong values and ethics, and a strong value approach to their products and services. Great people, most of who will go to the wall to help each other succeed and service the customer. Good benefits and can be a stable place to have a career if you are a consistently strong performer. Many divisions and locations so there are lots of opportunities to explore different product groups and positions.

ConsAs a public company, they can often be shortsighted in their tactics in order to ensure they meet their quarterly and year end metrics to maintain/increase their stock price. This can result in different departments having different objectives that may not be in the customer's best interests lon-term. You will work very hard here - in some roles, often nights, weekends and while on vacation. Management gives more priority to commercial and management roles than to support roles which often creates bottlenecks and insufficient support and leads to poor morale. As said in some other reviews, executive management seems to regard personnel as sheep or horses at times - incapable of making good decisions on their own and prone to idleness if they don't stay on them and overload them with metrics and documentation and additional tasks. They have taken away most of the decision making capability from medium levels and hired layers of managers instead, often requiring a series of approvals to get logical things accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have taken the time to train, coach and/or qualify good employees or new hires, trust them to handle the roles that you assign them and try to recognize that while hard work is not the same as results, that most of your employees are doing their best to implement your strategies so it helps to let them know you know that, even when the results aren't as good as you had hoped for or led Wall Street to believe.

Good Company with Lots to Offer

Industry Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Avon Lake, OH

ProsGlobal reach, strategic focus, good executive leadership, career development opportunities, professional development tracks (LSS), very competent rank and file employees who will work very hard to get the job done, great performance bonuses offer everyone a chance to make some extra money. Would work for them again one day in a different capacity.

ConsVery conservative culture tends to stifle creativity and entrepreneurial spirit. Some long-tenured employees who really need to consider retirement or moving on. Occasional "not-invented-here" mentality tends to rear its ugly head.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up and have fun.

Good Room for Growth if You Can Deal with Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, they like to promote internally, decent work environment. Depending on location, managers good with flex time (not at HQ so much). Have extensive resources to help get job done.

ConsLots of politics (like any corporate company), too many structure/org changes before give time of previous changes to take. Need to stay the course instead of making so many knee-jerk changes.

Money is more valuable than people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Avon Lake, OH

Pros-Workers have outstanding work ethic
    -Good benefits

Cons-Work ethic isn't recognized by management despite working capital increasing
    -No rush to hire because it costs too much
    -Unofficial 80 hour weeks, often
    -Training is frowned upon because of time and cost
    -Being an introvert is viewed as a weakness
    -Career path is a mystery, even to management

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are people first and foremost, not a means to make an extra penny. Try to understand what motivates each person individually instead of trying to motivate every person the same way

Not the same as it was....

TDE (Former Employee) Rancho Cucamonga, CA

ProsGreat people, wonderful memories, good product mix

Consnarrow scope of advancement for engineering types

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the street

Company cares only for profits. Employees are only "tools" to be blamed for management failures.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Salary, which is the only positive. You will earn it!

ConsManagement is uncaring, incompetent and without a moral compass. You will work yourself to death here with zero thanks.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are your best asset, not working capital

Nothing But Mismanaged troubles and abuse (Orangeville)

Maintenance (Former Employee) Orangeville, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay and benefits,

some experienced long term employees. small manufacturing scale, know every one by name.

Most workers all share there experiences and help out.

ConsSystemic culture issues or lack of culture, management on a perpetual witch hunt, too lost in the ``point the finger`` etc... to see what is going on around them or to be effective good leadership.

``Honesty`` ,``Integrity`` ``Respect`` not here !

Work flow up and downs, short notice use your holidays up first..... or there`s no work next shift.

They can`t seem to get there own policies training and procedures straight, everything changes to suit the moment. `` Lack of integrity``

I`ve never seen a management group that unorganized and unable plan work with some fore
    thought and insight considering the many years and experience with the same old equipment and set up. Fallow through or making any kind of meaning full decision for the future is a miss here. ``Dead wood``

No ``Aspri De Corps`` every one just works there. The bottom dollar aditiude is killing what

is soon to be dead equipment and resources. ``lack of respect``

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the way your going and your problems will fix you.

``World Class`` is no were near what is going on here.

A full time active HR person, better hire two.

Worked for PolyOne? Contribute to the Community!