Polyclinic

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lloyd David

Good experience for someone starting out

Medical Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsI was able to gain experience in all aspects of a clinic from front office to back office in a variety of primary care and specialist care settings. The software training for new hires was by far the best I have experienced in any job. Not only did he take time to work with me, but made sure that I was doing okay during my first 90 days by checking in either by email or in person. I felt cared for and now I know EPIC which is used everywhere.

ConsWorking as a float you don't always know where you are going, or what you are doing, which can be difficult at times. I knew that when I accepted the job, but it was still challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

There's a special spot in hell for this place

PSR (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMy paycheck never bounced. Although I am sure that's from the stability that the medical field offers.

ConsI have never in my life seen such a disorganized, unprofessional, & just plain toxic work environment in my life. Administration has no idea what the actual worker bees go through on a daily basis & do everything half fast. One member of administration openly has an affair with his assistant. Most managers are unqualified, lazy, & run their departments on hear say & gossip. There is so much dead weight that gets high praises & employee of the month on a regular basis while the real hard workers go unrecognized. Worst of all, they cut benefits to cost employees more money out of pocket for less coverage all so they can pay for a new office. Its no surprise that doctors are frequently leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up & smell the coffee! You need to clean house & look at who/ what the real problems are.

Polyclinic employment is a sure disappointment due to phony management and blatant disregard for staff.

Medical Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- a learning experience showing just how much a healthcare professional can take before quitting.

-the pay is average

ConsThe Polyclinic orientation is a façade. Outside vendors supply their onboarding literature - no originality, creativity or vision. There is awful buffoonery during Polyclinic attempted software instruction. During your orientation they ask you to sign their job description agreement, and it has two pages of medical assistant duties, and then at the end, there is a clause that basically says management can ask you to do what ever management directs. A medical assistant may be asked to: change your job title everyday, empty garbage everyday, perhaps they'll ask you to do something outside your scope. Who knows? They ought to make you write that part of their job description out in long hand to make sure you recognize it. It's wrong to take advantage of a new medical assistant by asking them to sign a document which states Polyclinic can ask a medical assistant to do anything. Polyclinic hoodwinks new medical assistants at most vulnerable time, and they really ought to be ashamed of that.

The folks who represent management run an obvious rigged game. You can tell by the way they speak to you, an hourly employee, and the way they speak with each other. These are folks who have no insight in healthcare, or care for their medical assistants, let alone the people who come there to provide revenue, or may really be looking for medical help. The management at Polyclinic is fake. It's best to speak with Polyclinic management like you are trying out to be in a toilet paper commercial.

If you expect to keep your job here: do maintain a blunted affect; do not look at anyone directly; do keep your smartphone in your hand to appear awake, but allowing you to avoid direct communication with anyone while your at Polyclinic, do not exceed a working vocabulary of 200 or so words; speak in fragments, blend out, become a fixture.

As an employee, its understood you have nothing to say. Don't expect your attempts at email with supervisors to be answered. Supervisors have no shame in flagrantly ignoring you. There is no honest "above-board" employee communication at Polyclinic.

If your intention is to professionally help people who need help, this is not the place for you.
    Polyclinic seems to be deaf (they don't want to hear or listen) and dumb (mgmt appears to not have real experience with people). Like other folks have said here, patient care is really an afterthought.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant circus

ProsFelt my job would not disappear during the recession

ConsBenefits have been cut back yearly for the last 3-4 years. Less holidays came first (for me) then insurance costs and co-pays shot up. Have to stay employed through Dec 31st to get all of that year's part of profit sharing.

How is parking subsidized when it's on company owned property and still so expensive?

Then there's the working environment, it's a constant circus with constant knee-jerking. Too many people in management that don't know what's going on making decisions no one wants. I keep hearing "that's true everywhere", uh no not in my experience.

One particular example of poorly choosing managers was one was hyper and considered crazy being replaced by someone who is well known to be easily confused by anything more complex then the "got your nose" trick used on infants that involves your thumb between two fingers. The same senior manager hired both and how one can sit in a room with these two people and think they're it is beyond many.

Some doctors are wonderful people while some are outright nasty to all. I'm not sure how a doctor who is so well know as nasty with low patient numbers is not eliminated.

If you're in a position requiring ordering parts and supplies count on everything taking multiple times longer than it should. This is if the item(s) gets ordered and correctly.

I pretty much forbade my partner from working here.

This ship is staying afloat only due to being medical.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an outside consultant to interview all management and analyze how the company functions. Follow the corrective recommendations presented.

Not worth the steady paycheck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPaychecks never bounce and there are the few nice people that work there.

ConsManagement is horrible. Taking care of patients is an afterthought. This is not a place to work if you actually want to help people. No such thing as team work. If you can handle someone telling you how to work and how to think without having an opinion, this place has plenty of jobs for you.

Clinic

Nurse (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPolyclinic gave me a chance when I had to move up here from Santa Barbara.
    That's why I gave them a couple of stars.
    I liked most of my coworkers when I worked here, and a part of me misses the people here.
    However, I had to be satisfied with 2% raise every year for a cost of living adjustment which translated into $0.45 raise for me at the time of my employment.
    I now get paid way more working for a health plan.
    I am sad that I get treated better & make more money sitting in front of a computer all day rather than actually taking care of patients.
    I don't think this is Polyclinc's fault, but there is seriously something wrong with our healthcare structure here!

ConsHorrible PTO plan unless you plan on working for Polyclinic for >20 years
    High copay for your medical insurance (you can easily spend $1,000 on copays alone each year)
    Crappy Dental Plan
    Employees have to pay to park at Polyclinic in order to work for Polyclinic which is a great profit generating system for Polyclinic.
    Polyclinic is very smart!

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't understand how they can promote more MAs to upper management over nurses who work so hard at providing the highest level of care.

Well, my paycheck hasn't bounced

Clerical (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCo-workers are really great; location is close to transit; nice having doctors around in case you pass out; steady paycheck and a 401k.

ConsBenefits have been slashed, this hurts since I don't make $100k a year; some doctors are borderline abusive to their employees, it appears to be tolerated by upper management; you will go nowhere here unless you have a college degree, even if it is a BA in Underwater Basket Weaving; COLA raises have been all but eliminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute a bonus structure for the little people actually doing the work.

Horrible medical benefits.

ProsI can't think of any. Steady paycheck.

ConsFor a medical provider the medical benefits they offer are a joke. Doctors wanted a shiny new building - screw employees by taking away medical benefits. They own their own parking garages and charge employees $130 + month to park in them.

Not what it used to be

Clerical (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Some of the best people I've ever worked with - work here. But they are the workers and not the admin/management.

- they are very generous with PTO

- The neighborhood has a lot of great places for lunch.

Cons- Over the last 4 years or so they have been stripping away benefits and salary by quite a bit.

- Incredibly high medical premiums when attempting to cover kids or a spouse. This year’s changes are: We pay way more (double out of check, double at the doctor) for far less coverage.

- The 401(k) just took a big hit in value and they decided to tell us only after it was too late to change our contributions. Also you must be employed 12/31 to retain that year's employer matches and profit share. I foresee an annual January exodus.

- $130/month for parking and this tends to be raised by $10-15 about twice a year. No carpool discounts.

- Bus pass is not free and if you don't use it for a span of 3 weeks, they stop putting money on it, but DO NOT STOP TAKING THE MONEY OUT OF YOUR PAYCHECK.

- No tuition reimbursement. Unless you hold a license/degree in the medical field, this is a dead end job. When they took this away they essentially cut down any path for upward mobility.

- Unless you hold a license/degree in the medical field you will realize that your opinion is meaningless. You could be as right as right can be but you won't be listened to... It's basically educational discrimination.

- Management/Administrators are mostly only concerned about their quarterly bonuses to the detriment of their average employee’s wages/benefits. Greed is truly the unspoken motto here.

- Some doctors routinely abuse "lesser" employees and they are tolerated because they bring in A LOT of revenue.

- Decisions are often made by people who don't actually know/understand the facts. Some management don't even know how to log into any of the programs used.

- Because they are having budgetary problems due to buying a building they could not afford, The Madison location is a very hostile work environment. You will feel as though your job is constantly at stake.

- HIGH turnover rate... go figure.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour best asset is your employees. Treat them better.

The little guys didn't make the decision to make a move the company couldn't afford, it's time for the ones who made that decision to feel it more in their salaries than all the workers who were pulled along.

Look into the educational discrimination issue. You have some really smart cookies that have no clinical experience and you have quite the opposite as well.

You want to be the Nordstrom's of healthcare, you have to pay for it.

Not As Good As It Looks On the Outside

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros- Average/Above Average Salary
    - They make money every year
    - Great people (non-managers) to work with and they work hard

Cons- Really high medical premiums if you have a spouse or kids
    - Management & upper management is generally incompetent at managing people AND not smart. Most "bad" management is good at one of these qualities.
    - No Remote Access!!! They're the only health care provider or health insurance company that doesn't have remote access. How this is still possible is a ridiculous mystery for any company in 2012. It works just wonderfully if you're in IT.
    - No career advancement opportunities
    - Wait, this is the absolute worst part...your review incorporates your attendance record for going to work. Think high school and "attendance" and you'll get my point.
    - Did I mention they're really cheap when it comes to employee perks and overall benefits. For example, employee parking costs $130 (after being subsidized). The doctors own the company but they are cheap, cheap, cheap.

Advice to Senior Management- Actually follow up and improve on the annual employee surveys
    - Hire enough people to do the work
    - Start getting rid of the dead weight, incompetent management regardless of their title or years at the company
    - Fix the rest of the Cons above

Worked for Polyclinic? Contribute to the Community!