Polycom Reviews

Updated August 9, 2014

3.1

Polycom President and CEO Peter A. Leav
Peter A. Leav

Pros
  • With recent pushes to save money on facilities, the company encourages employees to work from home (in 10 reviews)

• Responsible co-workers, generous benefits, good work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture of Fear is the rule here and used to keep all those to still working here in line (in 9 reviews)

• Revolving door at the higher levels, constant hirings and firings in upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

The freedom of video conferencing anytime anywhere.

I worked at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Use of their product allows for remote work and global collaboration with the rest of the team. I developed friendships with our global team thru video conferencing.

Cons

IT department was in disarray. Hopefully things have improved since the old CIO is no longer there.

Named Account Manager

Current Employee - Named Account Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life balance is great with a work from home environment. Salary and compensation is very good and at par or above average with accelerators. Video is a very cool technology and Polycom has evolved to offer the right products - though late to the market.

Cons

There is an absolute lack of company vision or strategy. The lack of stability in executive management is very evident in that there is no company culture. Executive management is visible but not inspiring or visionary.

Create a winning culture by spending time with employees and customers.

Great time to be at Polycom

I have been working at Polycom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn and become specialized in video conferencing and unified communications. Company ensures training is available budget allocated for those pursuing related technical certifications.

Cons

different technical teams are too segragated. It is almost as if they were trying not to share information with each other.

Create more Open channels for communication between the teams.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Future is ???.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Every manager I have ever had here (and there have been a lot) have been extraordinary. All leaders, coaches, and ultimately professional friends. Almost all co-workers, across every function, want to do their best to drive results for the company. Compensation is quite competitive; benefits are very good.

Cons

In the last year, all but one of our C-level executive have left, and the current strategy, despite being conveyed, is not really a strategy. This comment has been echoed by many I work with, so I've validated it a bit. Other than increasing profitability, this means either current management has no strategy, or they are not divulging much. In either case, hard to know where we are going if we don't know where we are heading. Alignment across the organization could be a bit better....best intentions aren't enough. The last year or two, despite my and my teams successes, have been very difficult, and it is harder to be successful here now than it used to be.

Tell us what happens next! What's the plan? We seem to be headed in the right direction financially, but then what?

Polycom Marketing

Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager

I worked at Polycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and a good customer base.

Cons

Lots of fantastic people, but a few years of poor executive leadership has dragged the company down.

Beware the yes men and people who are looking to further their personal aims over the welfare of the company.

Really good things are happening with the new CEO

Current Employee - Vice President of Finance  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

New management team gets it under the leadership of the new CEO who is the real deal. Love his enthusiasm and genuine demeanor. Future looks bright but will take some time and patience to get there.

Cons

Employees still carry some baggage from the abuse taken from prior management team.

Keep it up! The culture transformation is astounding. New CEO rocks!

Hi Pressure no value

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Polycom part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to have a great history and story. Then they did not adapt to the fast changing market

Cons

surrounded by stupid management, with big Egos so a recipe for disaster. constant turn over of leadership.

stop trying to impress and learn true leadership

Good company, hopeful for future, but challenges lie ahead

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really good people, work hard but even remote users can stay connected using the technology. Some outstanding technology and really cool things coming down road.
    New CEO = refreshing change.

Cons

Different engineering roles are very definitely silo-ed and the company has trouble delivering a cohesive solution made of different parts from different teams

We have decent product managers, but not real SOLUTION management. Need to change that and lead with a cohesive vision that's actually achievable.
    Need to speed up development and testing cycles, even if it means dropping support for older products.

Interesting Technology, Falling behind competitively, Troubled management

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

I worked at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting technology and solid products. Dedication to excellence, and a general willingness to go the extra mile to get things done. Friendly and professional work environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Too many mid to upper level management changes, turbulent times. Unable to effectively respond to competitive pressures. Process heavy product development process hindered innovation.

Decent place to work, no vision or leadership though.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Polycom full-time

Pros

Products tend to be aimed at corporate clients, so the tech we get to work on is pretty nice. Depending on where you work, driving pennies out of the products isn't a key factor. The work is usually pretty interesting. Usually pretty flexible about work schedules. Pay seems to be a bit above average, which tends to compensate for the shortcomings.

Cons

No leadership or vision anywhere in the company. Revolving door at the higher levels, constant hirings and firings in upper management. Nobody has enough experience in the right position to effectively lead, so there's a lot of silos and disorganized/redundant effort. There have been times when we've been told to work 60-80 hour weeks to meet deadlines set arbitrarily by the C-level execs.

A lot of products built by committee with (ironically) little planning. Not a lot of thought before code - more of a "rush it out the door, make only the minimal changes required" kind of development model.

Within the engineering ranks, there are a lot of senior "architects" who are set in their ways and few (if any) fresh ideas and faces. A lot of 1990's development models and archaic architectures.

Someone needs to lead, guys. Stop delegating, organize your efforts, and put some people in charge or you'll continue putting out batches of low-quality products rushed to market by teams competing with each other within the company.

Worked for Polycom? Contribute to the Community!