Polycom Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Polycom President and CEO Peter A. Leav
Peter A. Leav

Pros
  • With recent pushes to save money on facilities, the company encourages employees to work from home (in 11 reviews)

• Responsible co-workers, generous benefits, good work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture of Fear is the rule here and used to keep all those to still working here in line (in 9 reviews)

• Revolving door at the higher levels, constant hirings and firings in upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

The freedom of video conferencing anytime anywhere.

I worked at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Use of their product allows for remote work and global collaboration with the rest of the team. I developed friendships with our global team thru video conferencing.

Cons

IT department was in disarray. Hopefully things have improved since the old CIO is no longer there.

Review

I have been working at Polycom

Pros

Good Food and Good A/c

Cons

High management turnover. Bad company strategy.

Polycom churning of human resources

Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation and perks better than most companies in the Austin area.
    Good at hiring experienced talent and launching large projects.
    Polycom has retained some of their senior engineers and tribal knowledge.

Cons

Quality assurance teams and development engineers are not sufficiently valued for their experience, skills or productivity. QA prefers manual testers with lower compensation.
    There appears to be a disconnect between long term engineering stability and short term business decisions.

Retain your creative experienced American engineers in lieu of low cost out-sourced Chinese and in-sourced Indian engineers. Hiring booms followed by large layoffs and outsourcing business decisions hurts productivity and product quality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Named Account Manager

Current Employee - Named Account Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life balance is great with a work from home environment. Salary and compensation is very good and at par or above average with accelerators. Video is a very cool technology and Polycom has evolved to offer the right products - though late to the market.

Cons

There is an absolute lack of company vision or strategy. The lack of stability in executive management is very evident in that there is no company culture. Executive management is visible but not inspiring or visionary.

Create a winning culture by spending time with employees and customers.

Great time to be at Polycom

I have been working at Polycom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn and become specialized in video conferencing and unified communications. Company ensures training is available budget allocated for those pursuing related technical certifications.

Cons

different technical teams are too segragated. It is almost as if they were trying not to share information with each other.

Create more Open channels for communication between the teams.

Future is ???.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Every manager I have ever had here (and there have been a lot) have been extraordinary. All leaders, coaches, and ultimately professional friends. Almost all co-workers, across every function, want to do their best to drive results for the company. Compensation is quite competitive; benefits are very good.

Cons

In the last year, all but one of our C-level executive have left, and the current strategy, despite being conveyed, is not really a strategy. This comment has been echoed by many I work with, so I've validated it a bit. Other than increasing profitability, this means either current management has no strategy, or they are not divulging much. In either case, hard to know where we are going if we don't know where we are heading. Alignment across the organization could be a bit better....best intentions aren't enough. The last year or two, despite my and my teams successes, have been very difficult, and it is harder to be successful here now than it used to be.

Tell us what happens next! What's the plan? We seem to be headed in the right direction financially, but then what?

Polycom Marketing

Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Field Marketing Manager

I worked at Polycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and a good customer base.

Cons

Lots of fantastic people, but a few years of poor executive leadership has dragged the company down.

Beware the yes men and people who are looking to further their personal aims over the welfare of the company.

Really good things are happening with the new CEO

Current Employee - Vice President of Finance  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

New management team gets it under the leadership of the new CEO who is the real deal. Love his enthusiasm and genuine demeanor. Future looks bright but will take some time and patience to get there.

Cons

Employees still carry some baggage from the abuse taken from prior management team.

Keep it up! The culture transformation is astounding. New CEO rocks!

Hi Pressure no value

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Polycom part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to have a great history and story. Then they did not adapt to the fast changing market

Cons

surrounded by stupid management, with big Egos so a recipe for disaster. constant turn over of leadership.

stop trying to impress and learn true leadership

Good company, hopeful for future, but challenges lie ahead

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really good people, work hard but even remote users can stay connected using the technology. Some outstanding technology and really cool things coming down road.
    New CEO = refreshing change.

Cons

Different engineering roles are very definitely silo-ed and the company has trouble delivering a cohesive solution made of different parts from different teams

We have decent product managers, but not real SOLUTION management. Need to change that and lead with a cohesive vision that's actually achievable.
    Need to speed up development and testing cycles, even if it means dropping support for older products.

Worked for Polycom? Contribute to the Community!