Polynesian Cultural Center Reviews

1. Incredibly Rewarding, Mediocre top management

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Laie, HI
    Current Employee - Tour Guide in Laie, HI

I have been working at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very fulfilling place to work. Incredible benefits to student workers (generous scholarships). One of the most international places I have worked (my team of 30 co-workers alone represented 10 different countries) - very diverse team catering to guests from around the world. There is a great pride for the cultures being represented and every person becomes personally connected to the purpose of the center, which is to preserve and portray the Polynesian cultures and provide educational funding for the Polynesian students who work there.

Cons

Low hourly wages. Frustrating upper management with little communication or connection with those actually on the ground running the center. Decisions of management did not reflect what employees were needing.

2. Great Environment But Bad Management

Former Employee - Theater Performer in Laie, HI
    Former Employee - Theater Performer in Laie, HI

I worked at Polynesian Cultural Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun Environment and you get to meet and work with people from around the world.

Cons

The management in some areas and departments (not all) are bias and favor some employees over others.

3. Junior Internal Auditor

Current Employee - Junior Internal Auditor in Laie, HI
    Current Employee - Junior Internal Auditor in Laie, HI

I have been working at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Working environment. Coworkers are very nice. There is definitely an Aloha spirit from the management to the front employees.

Cons

Wages are not as competitive as other paid tourist attractions as the center is a non-profit organization, and that they have a huge supply of students next door.

Advice to Management

Although student employees may only stay for a couple of months, working at the center is still a great experience. I would advise the management to delegate more managerial work to student worker to help them learn important skill sets for their future.

5. Best Place on earth to work

Former Employee - Tour Guide in Laie, HI
    Former Employee - Tour Guide in Laie, HI

I worked at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This by far the place i have ever worked in my life. You get to meet people from different parts of the world your fellow workers are from different parts of the world as well. It is really amazing to think that one place the world meets. Co workers are great and my boss was one of the best. Job here was a lot of fun. Lots of food. Once you work in this place you belong to a family and you almost know all the workers here even though you are not in the same department. Everyone is a family.

Cons

The only con i can think of is i had to leave this place coz i graduated college. I missed working here every single day. You will miss the workplace co workers and bosses.

6. A great diverse place, great company to start a career.

Current Employee - Electrician
    Current Employee - Electrician

I have been working at Polynesian Cultural Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly environment for anyone that enters this facility.

Cons

Needs a little more work with hiring processes.

Advice to Management

Need to enrich the experience more for employee's

7. Fun place to work at but their pay is the worst

Former Employee - Tour Guide
    Former Employee - Tour Guide

I worked at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

meet people from all around the world

Cons

not tipping allowed, any tips received need to turn into the company

Advice to Management

give the poor students a break! give them the tips they deserved !

8. Self-fulfilling & diverse. Very rewarding the Aloha spirit way!

Former Employee - Ambassador Dining Experience in Laie, HI
    Former Employee - Ambassador Dining Experience in Laie, HI

I worked at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse environment. Inter racial, intercultural surrounding with high values.

Cons

High volume work loads during peak season.

Advice to Management

Create training programs for rank-in-file employees in order to cope up with the demands specially for student workers. Implement HACCP programs to deliver service operations in an international set up & standards. Hands-on process in selecting employees specially with Food & Beverage positions.

9. I had a very rewarding experience as I have learned so much both personal and professional

Former Employee - Food Production Supervisor in Laie, HI
    Former Employee - Food Production Supervisor in Laie, HI

I worked at Polynesian Cultural Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very family oriented company. The company stands by its Mission Statements and Cultural Beliefs to ensure it provides a unique service to showcase the different cultures and crafts of the Polynesians. There's nothing but love in everyone that works there which makes it a very fun place to work in. It has very strong ties to the Gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and its the reason why it closes its doors every Sundays.

Cons

Im afraid there's not much I can say about this place that is negative. The only thing that I might say is that it's possible that if you are not a BYU graduate, it might be hard for you to move up the ladder as far as management. Most departments are headed by graduates of Brigham Young University which is located right next to the Polynesian Cultural Center. And the purpose of the Center is to provide part time employments to all the students especially International Students to pay their tuition while attending school at BYU.

Advice to Management

Should based your decisions mainly on performance, recognition, attendance and then yrs of service, not because of your personal relationship with others.

10. Student Worker

Current Employee - Student Worker in Laie, HI
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Laie, HI

I have been working at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to campus and flexible schedules.

Cons

Minimum Wage and jobs some times coincide with the cafeteria times so you don't get to eat.

11. It was ok

Former Employee - Concessions Worker in Laie, HI
    Former Employee - Concessions Worker in Laie, HI

I worked at Polynesian Cultural Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet people all over the world, work with international students

Cons

Not enough hours given

Advice to Management

Give more hours to local employees

RSS Feed </> Embed