Polypeptide Laboratories

Polypeptide Laboratories Reviews

2.8

Jane Salik
1 Rating

Good for recent grads a few years ago

Former Employee - Quality Control  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Control in San Diego, CA

I worked at Polypeptide Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was an excellent opportunity for a recent college grad. I worked in Quality Control for a few years, and gained some good experience. I left on good terms in order to pursue further education. The company is small enough that you can become involved in (or at least familiarize yourself) with the entire GMP process if you desire. I became proficient at analytical analyses using HPLC, MS-MS, GC, Karl Fischer (sp?) water content, and various other techniques. I was also involved in a fair amount of analytical development and optimization. I wrote and updated a lot of SOP's (that could be a con, haha). I was pretty much able to order any lab supplies I needed or thought I might need.

The company was very flexible with working hours. As long as you were there between 9am to 3pm, they didn't care what your hours were as long as your supervisor knew when to expect you. Benefits were above average for a small company, decent 401k matching. Upper management was pretty hands-off when it came to rank and file employees.

The pay was neither excellent nor poor.

Cons

My fellow lab rats and I were often not informed of project deadlines. I'm not sure if this was a communication problem between upper management and my supervisors, or between my supervisor and us. This caused a lot of last-minute scrambling and hussle that I could have easily avoided had I known deadlines as well as product in the pipeline. Towards the end of my employment, there was a big push to get us to start coming in on Saturdays in order to "catch up" due to the aforementioned scrambling.

Also, due to the small size of the company, there wasn't real room for true promotions. If you weren't in management, it was definitely a "work there 3 to 5 years then quit and get a job at a different company to get promoted."

Let us know about deadlines in advance so we can plan our workweek (and not have to come in on the weekend for things we could have finished earlier had we known about the deadline).

As far as the CEO goes, I only met her a few times, so I have no opinion about her.

Good for experience

Former Employee - GMP Manufacturing Chemist I  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - GMP Manufacturing Chemist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Polypeptide Laboratories as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good for experience in peptide production, HPLC purification and GMP manufacturing. Management is pretty hands-off. The company is expanding so there will be more oportunities.

Cons

There are times with no work to be done. Management lacks communication at times and is overworked. Instruments are old and technology is lacking. Older employees are difficult to work with.

Communicate better with employees.

direcotr

Current Employee - Director of R&D  in  Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Director of R&D in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Polypeptide Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ok at current job market

Cons

culture needs to be improved.

Ok at current job market

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get in, get out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Polypeptide Laboratories

Pros

Good for recent grads to gain experience then leave. Flexible hours. Relatively stable company that does not lay off people, often.

Cons

No matter how hard you work it goes unrecognized and unappreciated. Little to no room for growth. Low wages. Upper management is very biased. Employees and quality do not matter. All about the bottom line, $$$.

Open your eyes! If you actually spent time in the labs instead of listening to word of mouth you might know who the good employees are and wouldn't need to police your employees with your time clock and cameras. Don't treat employees as if they are expendable and you expect them to leave after a couple years. Treat employees better, moral is very bad.

It was once a good company to work for, but that changed in late 2009 - 2010

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Polypeptide Laboratories

Pros

I really liked my coworkers.

Cons

The company changed from a focus on quality to nothing but the bottom line led by those who understand the actual business very little.

Treating your employees like a piece of crap that can be replaced at will is no way to run a sucessful company.

Worked for Polypeptide Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!