Polyvore

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Jess Lee

Engineering-driven culture and meritocracy

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsPolyvore is the most engineering-driven company I've ever worked at. Engineering gets to decide how things get built and have a huge amount of say in what products and features we work on. We don't code to arbitrary deadlines, so there is time for engineering goodness, like refactoring and automated testing. Engineering projects like these are celebrated and given as much weight as shiny user-facing features.

The management team is super transparent and communicates frequently about usually-taboo topics like how compensation is determined, detailed company financials, etc.

People are treated fairly and the perks (lunch every day, Caltrain Go Pass, 401(k), health coverage) are provided not just to be competitive, but also because they care about us.

ConsThere are too many things to do! Based on our staff size and our "Do a few things well" value, we say no to a lot of projects to avoid spreading ourselves to thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue guarding the company culture! Don't let it change for the worse as we continue to grow.

Highly recommended!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThis place is very empowering. You, along with your team, get to make most decisions and directly see the impact you make. There is no "management" overhead in making product decisions.

Get to work with a talented bunch of colleagues trying to solve big technical problems.

ConsThings move too fast sometimes for our own detriment. As we have grown fast in the last year or so, we are still trying to figure out the best way to work in a much larger team. A good problem to have!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the hiring bar high even when there is obvious lack of resources in key areas.

Best startup culture I've ever seen.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsStill a small team, so each person has a lot of ownership and can make a big impact.
    High standards in hiring = best coworkers you can ask for. The company is full of people who care about quality and just get stuff done.
    Product moves quickly, and decisions are heavily data-driven. Testing is built into the platform.
    Very transparent leadership. No spin.

ConsHard to stay focused because the business moves so quickly. The engineering team is still probably not as large as it should be to support the product demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you've hired smart, talented people that you can trust to make the important decisions that drive the business. Keep the bar high for new hires, so we don't lose that trust.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work

ProsMake Big Impact
    - small teams allows individual to make big impacts on the product

Speed of Execution
    - move fast and get things done

Solid business
    - the company is profitable and cash flow positive.

Good Compensation and Benefits
    - the founders believe in treating people well. Happy people is productive people

Culture and People
    - everyone I've worked with has been super friendly and nice.

ConsNeed more Engineers
    - Too many good ideas and opportunities, too few engineers

Technocratic Flexible Fun

Senior Software Eng (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsI really like the team and I've been given a lot of opportunities to learn new things. Polyvore is still at a scale where I can have a big impact which is nice, and I haven't heard any blue-haired managerial crazy talk since I got here. So I like it a lot.

ConsI'm not someone that is normally associated with fashion, so that sometimes takes some explaining.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you're doing fine. If I really had advice for you guys I could just tell you in person since you're sitting only a few feet away. Hi!

Amazing place to work

ProsVery impressive senior management and board members
    Great benefits and pay
    Employees know they are valued
    Egalitarian culture with zero tolerance for ego and divas
    Extremely high product standards
    Lots of room for growth and problem solving

ConsFast growth can cause process breakdowns between teams
    Pieces of the revenue model are still finding scalable footing

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing! You've hired a great team and built a great product.

Worked for Polyvore? Contribute to the Community!