Pomona College

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
4.7

David W. Oxtoby

A positive place to work with great benefits but few advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pomona College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Positive work environment (people tend to be happy); great benefits; good work-life balance; supportive colleagues; with lectures, concerts and performances, a lot of cultural and intellectual opportunities. A lot of free food at talks and after meetings that other employees can scavenge! Claremont is a quaint, beautiful town to work in.

Cons

Very little to no opportunity for advancement or skills-building; lack of salary growth. Stress has increased.

Good for those who love the college

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Tour Guide in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pomona College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meet new and interesting students; talking about yourself for an hour; exercise (one tour guide counted their steps on an hour long tour--10,000 in total); opportunity to practice public speaking and interpersonal skills; free t-shirt/in n out

Cons

Tours are occasionally inconvenient timed (ie could have midterm right after); tours can be awkward

Perhaps it would be better if tour guides were more selectively screened (occasionally partner tour guides are awkward/forceful and difficult to collaborate on tours with)

pretty idyllic

Current Employee - Student in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Student in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pomona College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students, faculty, staff, campus, and weather are hard to bet. The 7 college consortium is a fantastic resource. Not only does it allow for a medium sized college experience at a small school, the people do vary so it's not as monolithic as it could be.

Plenty of great classes, clubs, and experiences that will change you (ideally for the better) if you are open to that. Many classes have altered my perspective and have allowed me a sort of X-ray/HD vision of the world - I see the bones and structures but I also see things with much more clarity and beauty.

In terms of work experience and internships etc Pomona does a lot to make sure that its students are not only excelling in the classroom, but also keeping busy during the summers. The school has student funding for summer research and non paid/low paid internships.

Also, while the 5C party scene can not revival that of huge state universities, the school does provide a plethora of parties, talks, outings, and events that are usually free if not for an unbeatable price. Many parties even serve beer and/or wine for free to students of age.

Cons

Pomona is a challenging work environment. If the best and decorated students coming in will be pushed and challenged - so do not expect a purely happy-go-lucky experience. Going to class is not only expected but necessary and classes are kept pretty small.

It's in a small suburb 45 minutes away from LA. Though a car is in no way necessary for going to classes or even having a life, it is if you want to take in California's natural beauty off-campus or spend time in LA.

Overall, you just need to know what you are getting involved in. If you want a party school you will be disappointed. If you want an easy college experience you will be disappointed. If you want a particularly diverse (including racial, ethnic, socio-economic, sexual identity, etc) experience you will have to put in effort to possibly realize that. If you want to be in a big city and not be recognized on your way to class you will be unhappy.

Pomona could definitely work on its work-life balance, there is always work to be done and I believe it definitely affects mental health and wellbeing across the 5Cs.

I also think that there should be mandatory seminars to properly education incoming students about racism, sexism, homophobia, etc because these are issues that manifest in different ways here. What's a diploma if graduates do not leave as conscientious and informed individuals?

Great community!

I worked at Pomona College

Pros

Everyone is super friendly and supportive. The campus is beautiful and the weather is amazing. LA is a great city if you can make it out of Claremont, but Claremont is a cute town to be in as well.

Cons

Smog. Traffic. Some of the professors and higher ups really belong at another, non-liberal arts institution. However, they have tenure so they are not going anywhere.

the perfect job

I have been working at Pomona College

Pros

beautiful campus, full of resources, brilliant students

Cons

air quality, traffic, cost of living

Pomona College is Excellent

I have been working at Pomona College full-time

Pros

friendly professors who are incredibly smart and talented, administration runs like butter, people are helpful and nice. I love the small school environment and the small classes that ranges anywhere from 5-20.

Cons

I really can't think of any! It's such a great school!

Supportive atmosphere for work-study

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Claremont, CA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Claremont, CA

I have been working at Pomona College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's almost impossible to be fired if you put in a good effort and do as you're asked. The work study atmosphere is very supportive and nurturing; employers genuinely want to see you get something beyond money out of the experience. I feel like a valuable team member at my work-study despite not being a full time worker. The job pays well and has hours that fit my schedule.

Cons

The work can be a little redundant at times. Not much opportunity for upward growth, but it is a work study position after all.

I would seek to bring in more student perspective to portray a better image of Pomona.

Mentor for Computer Science

I have been working at Pomona College

Pros

1) Choose own hours
    2) Very understanding professors
    3) Enthusiastic students

Pomona is a wonderful environment to work at with great colleagues and students.

Cons

As a college student, it can be difficult to balance schoolwork and "work," but it's worth the trouble, as the job is a rewarding experience.

For a small college, they have a surprising number of resources and all faculty and staff are fairly attentive.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Claremont, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Claremont, CA

I worked at Pomona College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The community is close and the weather is great! I like the way they approach academics here - they want the students to understand the process of the scientific method.

Cons

It can be small, so if you don't like your department, there's not much you can do but most departments are well-oiled and convenient.

Collegial and open work environment

I have been working at Pomona College part-time

Pros

Staff generally care about what they do and are involved with students.

Cons

The administration is very hierarchical.