PondelWilkinson

1 Rating

Glad I came back!

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at PondelWilkinson full-time for less than a year

Pros

Previously worked for the company in the late 90s/early 2000s. They hired me with virtually no experience and leadership (Pondel and Wilkinson) really took me under their wing -- were very encouraging, nurturing and supportive. Left due to dotcom bust but continued to stay in touch with management, who were supportive of me even after I started my own firm. Fast forward 10+ years later and I decided to merge my practice and come back to the firm in a senior role. Same wonderful, nurturing, collegial, entrepreneurial atmosphere. Everyone pitches in and new ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Attitude of continuous improvement and learning. Emphasis on work-life balance. Smart, creative colleagues who aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves or help each other out.

Cons

If you're someone who is clique-ish, wait for others to tell you what to do, or have a sense of entitlement -- this is not the place for you.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Senior management is stuck in the past

Former Employee - Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at PondelWilkinson

Pros

- Opportunity to do lots of things
    - You get to work with many cool clients and have exposure to tons of different situations with some very well-respected companies

Cons

- Senior management does not respect younger workers' skills in using technology. They have never used complex databases and really feel that technological competence in younger workers is similar to secretarial work. There are senior members of the team who don't even keep contact information for clients in the computer. They seem to feel that they are still relevant despite lacking skills in graphic design, MS Office programs, etcetera.
    - Senior management will have younger workers spend copious amounts of time on projects that don't really serve clients.
    - Senior management, with the exception of a few, don't maintain relationships with people at investment banks. They cannot get their clients meetings and I never saw one even bother to pick up the phone to pull any favors for clients.
    - Workflows and teams are not managed at all. It is not uncommon for younger workers to bear heavy workloads while his/her superiors never coordinate tasks.
    - There is NO innovative thinking at this firm.
    - Younger workers are treated like children. They say this is a family firm. What that means is that if you are young, you will be told what you have to do and you'd better not argue, and we don't want to listen to your ideas, yet you will be expected to contribute to the business by providing senior management with the names of companies they should approach for business.
    - Senior management has an indirect communication style.

You really need to stop patronizing younger workers. I saw too many leave during my time there! If you don't update your skills and understand what it takes to do IR in the modern world, you will not attract new talent to your firm!

Worked for PondelWilkinson? Contribute to the Community!