Pop Art

Updated May 7, 2014

Steve Rosenbaum

Learn, create, iterate

Portland, OR

Pros-awesome co-workers: I am surrounded by people who really know their stuff and are willing to teach and collaborate
    -growth opportunities: I've been given room to learn and stretch my skills from day 1, as well as given the support to do it well (internal teaching opportunities, external events and training, etc.).
    -office space: The new office space is in a cool location and has a really good vibe. Conducive to creativity and collaboration.
    -agile development practices: I really like our new agile methodology — we're focusing on continual delivery and improvements through multiple iterations, and it makes me optimistic for the future.

Cons-fast-paced, changing requirements: the nature of the business is very fast-paced, which is hard for some people’s working styles. And we can rarely pinpoint the exact requirements at the beginning of a project (again, nature of the business), and this can be frustrating at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your team and give them room to show their stuff. Keep hiring awesome people.

Pop Art is an agile, creative and fun company with a great vision and the people to make it a reality.

Chief Operating Officer (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe switch to agile from waterfall has greatly empowered the team to self-direct.
    Constant opportunities to work on new technologies.
    Smart, curious, T-shaped teammates who ALWAYS have your back and take pride in their work.
    A management team that believes in, and looks out for, its employees.
    A culture that challenges everyone to strive for continuous improvement.
    Great career advancement and personal growth opportunities.
    Good benefits including Regence PPO with $500 deductible, 401k matching, training budgets, flexible work hours, team events, ping pong.

ConsThe fast-paced environment doesn't work for everyone.
    Lots of distractions and spontaneous collaboration, which results in creativity and innovation, but requires a great deal of task-switching.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring great people, stay try to your vision for the company.

Unlimited potential, aggressively smart, creativity respected

Portland, OR

ProsThe greatest thing about Pop Art may be that it knows how to hire. The deep skill sets and talents of my co-workers continually unfold, and there is a thoroughly ingrained team mentality.

Senior management has been with the company for nearly 20 years, and are seasoned listeners/champions of good work -- I always feel respected. You have to be smart to work here, and we work hard, but in this structure I feel we have the latitude to write our own ticket to the future. It's a positive environment where the creative process is valued as much as the engineering that brings it to life.

There is empirical proof of merit-based vertical mobility within the company. The health plan is as good as any I've seen, compensation is generous, and the perks (transportation credits, much more) make me feel fairly VIP.

Important to note: the vibe in the office is great. Joking, friendships, out-of-office activities are all normal, across the board. A very pleasant and supportive work environment.

ConsSelf-direction skills are important. Micro-management is not spoken here.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Development Job I've Ever Had. No Joke.

Portland, OR

ProsThe team is amazing; the talent and professionalism of the people at Pop Art is amazing and it makes it an inspiration to come to work every day. Development is given a lot of latitude to do things right, and I learn something new every day. It's a very friendly environment for those who want to stay on the cutting edge of web development.

ConsDeadlines can often be tight, and the work can be hard. It's not uncommon to work overtime. That said, though, management respects those who draw boundaries about the amount of overtime you work, so I've never felt that there are consequences for maintaining a work/life balance. There are some personality conflicts in the company which has led to high turnover, which makes it feel a little less stable than one might like, but the company has been profitable for fifteen years. Quite a feat in the marketing world.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax. Pop Artists are driven, hard-working talented employees. Focus on finding new clients and growing the business.

My time at Pop Art has been very fulfilling, fun, and I've met some of the most incredible people along the way."

ProsHard working colleagues with positive attitudes and great senses of humor, vast client portfolio with a wide variety of projects, open work environment, willingness from management to be flexible with work schedules (on an individual basis)

ConsPull-up contests, weird songs popping up on Spotify

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to get the job done, they always do.

Best place I've worked.

ProsCompetitive salary, excellent benefits, reasonable hours, team environment, learning and growth opportunities, fun-loving co-workers who enjoy working together. You get out what you put in.

ConsSome processes are immature for a 17 year-old company. The small team environment means you have to step outside your comfort zone a lot and wear multiple hats.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the team out into the community more to show what you're up to. A lot of it is cool stuff very few people know about.

Not a good place to be a developer

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsGreat location downtown. Interesting work sometimes and smart co-workers. Free soda pop in the break room.

Cons*** Inept Project Managers and poor PM practices.

*** Developers are at the bottom of the pecking order at Pop Art. The development staff is viewed as a replaceable commodity and their contributions are neither valued nor respected. Most rewards, perks, and respect are given to Client Services and Creative staff.

*** If a project falls behind, it's up to the developers to make up time from problems that occurred up-stream.

*** Almost zero opportunity for career growth.

*** Legacy code.

*** Extremely high turnover.

*** While employee benefits are good, benefits for family members are very expensive and cost prohibitive.

*** CEO/Owner lacks leadership & personality soft skills. He does not view himself as the source of the company's problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO should hire a competent management team, keep his hands off, and allow them to run the company.

High potential, but weak leadership.

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe atmosphere is very casual and flexible (dress code and work ours). Working from home is not an issue. Management is very "hands off" and let's you have a lot of freedom. It's a fun environment with constant challenges to overcome. The project are generally interesting and make for a stimulating environment.

ConsThe turnover rate is very high. The company was loosing a person once a month for the past eight months. The fun and creative atmosphere that is fostered has a side effect of making it overall unprofessional. Work/life balance is not respected.

Developers are not respected. The words of designers and project managers are valued way above developers despite the fact that the development team eventually has to implement solutions. Poor project plans are handed down from above, and the voice of technical talent is never heard. Claims to have a budget for conferences to improve skill sets, but never delivers on requests for technical staff, however, it gives it's creative team much more license for being exposed to industry events.

Given the turnover rate, all the fires to put out, the legacy code bases of spagetti code it's difficult to

I felt like a "code monkey" at the company, and given the turnover rate, lack of professionalism, and overall attitude towards the development team and it's members, I can easily say that this is the worst job I've held after 10 years in the software development industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are no words.

Interesting work, but management and constant employee turnover is a major issue.

(Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsPop Art had and might still have some interesting accounts that provide fun interactive work. The small overall company size and rampant employee turnover provide many opportunities to take on new challenges and gain new experience. This also makes it easy to ask for more money as your co-workers quit and you become more valuable.

ConsThere is more employee turnover at this company than I have ever seen anywhere. This is due primarily to a serious lack of good management from the owner/CEO. Management doesn't see that they are the source of the employee turnover and instead choose to blame economy, other employees, etc...

Advice to Senior ManagementStep away from the business and hire professionals to run it.

Worked for Pop Art? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pop Art reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pop Art CEO Steve Rosenbaum. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Pop Art employees.