Pop Art Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

Steve Rosenbaum

Pop Art is a great place for you to challenge yourself to continually improve.

I have been working at Pop Art full-time

Pros

Pop Art really invests in people, both in their capacity as individuals and as part of a team. The office is a collaborative, creative environment where people are encouraged to learn from one another and support one another. Employees are smart, personable, and eager to work together. There is a great deal of room for personal and professional growth; I've always felt supported by management to pursue my career goals. Lots of great benefits (healthcare, snacks, ping pong, company events), good sense of work/life balance, and a really cool new office space.

Cons

The fast-paced nature of the company can make it tough to wrap your head around ever-changing requirements. Expectations aren't always clear beyond the vague "do great work," so a sense of discipline is a must here.

The Worst

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are smart, caring and fun individuals.

Cons

Management is horrible. I really can't overstate this enough. The CEO is a hot mess that is impossible to work with. If you are a developer you will largely (not completely) be spared from his insanity; if you are in client services... doomed! His complaints are truly never ending. He will never offer support, sound advice or compliments on a job well done. He will, at every turn, look to find fault with your work. This is his style of "mentorship".

There are plenty, plenty of other agencies in PDX. Do your self, your family and loved ones (as they will need to listen to your laments on the daily should you choose to work here) a favor and work ANYWHERE else but here.

Hey there Mgnt. stop me if you have heard this one before..... :) Get Steve out of there! Manage from afar, Steve. Just because you are versed in reading the latest and greatest from business periodicals (that have nothing to do with the actual business you "run"), can put together a spreadsheet and are relatively competent in grammar (not that you proof read your emails - you should do that more often, really, you should) that does not make you a competent agency player. I fail to see what value you bring. You have no sales acumen, no tech chops and are horrible with people. I mean come on, you are really bad with relationships.

Learn, create, iterate

I have been working at Pop Art full-time

Pros

-awesome co-workers: I am surrounded by people who really know their stuff and are willing to teach and collaborate
    -growth opportunities: I've been given room to learn and stretch my skills from day 1, as well as given the support to do it well (internal teaching opportunities, external events and training, etc.).
    -office space: The new office space is in a cool location and has a really good vibe. Conducive to creativity and collaboration.
    -agile development practices: I really like our new agile methodology — we're focusing on continual delivery and improvements through multiple iterations, and it makes me optimistic for the future.

Cons

-fast-paced, changing requirements: the nature of the business is very fast-paced, which is hard for some people’s working styles. And we can rarely pinpoint the exact requirements at the beginning of a project (again, nature of the business), and this can be frustrating at times.

Trust your team and give them room to show their stuff. Keep hiring awesome people.

Pop Art is an agile, creative and fun company with a great vision and the people to make it a reality.

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The switch to agile from waterfall has greatly empowered the team to self-direct.
    Constant opportunities to work on new technologies.
    Smart, curious, T-shaped teammates who ALWAYS have your back and take pride in their work.
    A management team that believes in, and looks out for, its employees.
    A culture that challenges everyone to strive for continuous improvement.
    Great career advancement and personal growth opportunities.
    Good benefits including Regence PPO with $500 deductible, 401k matching, training budgets, flexible work hours, team events, ping pong.

Cons

The fast-paced environment doesn't work for everyone.
    Lots of distractions and spontaneous collaboration, which results in creativity and innovation, but requires a great deal of task-switching.

Continue hiring great people, stay try to your vision for the company.

Unlimited potential, aggressively smart, creativity respected

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The greatest thing about Pop Art may be that it knows how to hire. The deep skill sets and talents of my co-workers continually unfold, and there is a thoroughly ingrained team mentality.

Senior management has been with the company for nearly 20 years, and are seasoned listeners/champions of good work -- I always feel respected. You have to be smart to work here, and we work hard, but in this structure I feel we have the latitude to write our own ticket to the future. It's a positive environment where the creative process is valued as much as the engineering that brings it to life.

There is empirical proof of merit-based vertical mobility within the company. The health plan is as good as any I've seen, compensation is generous, and the perks (transportation credits, much more) make me feel fairly VIP.

Important to note: the vibe in the office is great. Joking, friendships, out-of-office activities are all normal, across the board. A very pleasant and supportive work environment.

Cons

Self-direction skills are important. Micro-management is not spoken here.

Not a good place to be a developer

Former Employee - Web Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Pop Art full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location downtown. Interesting work sometimes and smart co-workers. Free soda pop in the break room.

Cons

*** Inept Project Managers and poor PM practices.

*** Developers are at the bottom of the pecking order at Pop Art. The development staff is viewed as a replaceable commodity and their contributions are neither valued nor respected. Most rewards, perks, and respect are given to Client Services and Creative staff.

*** If a project falls behind, it's up to the developers to make up time from problems that occurred up-stream.

*** Almost zero opportunity for career growth.

*** Legacy code.

*** Extremely high turnover.

*** While employee benefits are good, benefits for family members are very expensive and cost prohibitive.

*** CEO/Owner lacks leadership & personality soft skills. He does not view himself as the source of the company's problems.

CEO should hire a competent management team, keep his hands off, and allow them to run the company.

Best Development Job I've Ever Had. No Joke.

I have been working at Pop Art full-time

Pros

The team is amazing; the talent and professionalism of the people at Pop Art is amazing and it makes it an inspiration to come to work every day. Development is given a lot of latitude to do things right, and I learn something new every day. It's a very friendly environment for those who want to stay on the cutting edge of web development.

Cons

Deadlines can often be tight, and the work can be hard. It's not uncommon to work overtime. That said, though, management respects those who draw boundaries about the amount of overtime you work, so I've never felt that there are consequences for maintaining a work/life balance. There are some personality conflicts in the company which has led to high turnover, which makes it feel a little less stable than one might like, but the company has been profitable for fifteen years. Quite a feat in the marketing world.

Relax. Pop Artists are driven, hard-working talented employees. Focus on finding new clients and growing the business.

My time at Pop Art has been very fulfilling, fun, and I've met some of the most incredible people along the way."

I have been working at Pop Art full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hard working colleagues with positive attitudes and great senses of humor, vast client portfolio with a wide variety of projects, open work environment, willingness from management to be flexible with work schedules (on an individual basis)

Cons

Pull-up contests, weird songs popping up on Spotify

Trust your employees to get the job done, they always do.

Best place I've worked.

I have been working at Pop Art full-time

Pros

Competitive salary, excellent benefits, reasonable hours, team environment, learning and growth opportunities, fun-loving co-workers who enjoy working together. You get out what you put in.

Cons

Some processes are immature for a 17 year-old company. The small team environment means you have to step outside your comfort zone a lot and wear multiple hats.

Get the team out into the community more to show what you're up to. A lot of it is cool stuff very few people know about.

High potential, but weak leadership.

Former Employee - Web Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Pop Art full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very casual and flexible (dress code and work ours). Working from home is not an issue. Management is very "hands off" and let's you have a lot of freedom. It's a fun environment with constant challenges to overcome. The project are generally interesting and make for a stimulating environment.

Cons

The turnover rate is very high. The company was loosing a person once a month for the past eight months. The fun and creative atmosphere that is fostered has a side effect of making it overall unprofessional. Work/life balance is not respected.

Developers are not respected. The words of designers and project managers are valued way above developers despite the fact that the development team eventually has to implement solutions. Poor project plans are handed down from above, and the voice of technical talent is never heard. Claims to have a budget for conferences to improve skill sets, but never delivers on requests for technical staff, however, it gives it's creative team much more license for being exposed to industry events.

Given the turnover rate, all the fires to put out, the legacy code bases of spagetti code it's difficult to

I felt like a "code monkey" at the company, and given the turnover rate, lack of professionalism, and overall attitude towards the development team and it's members, I can easily say that this is the worst job I've held after 10 years in the software development industry.

There are no words.

Pop Art Photos

Hey NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Pop Art has prepared a #globalselfie that rivals Ellen's Oscar selfie in star power.
Pop Art Software Engineer Ethan always turns in his daily progress report, even when in Portugal.
Lobby mural-making.