Pop Labs

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gene McCubbin

Great agency, great people. I loved interning at Pop Labs.

Social Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsMy supervisors were friendly and approachable- always willing to explain questions I had regarding assignments and the overall advertising industry. I was very satisfied during my time at Pop Labs as I learned to fine tune my project-management skills and I learned more about social media.

I highly recommend Pop Labs to anyone who is serious about gaining valuable experience in the marketing/advertising industry.

ConsI do not have any CONS for Pop Labs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

If You Want to Know What Bad Looks Like, Say Hello

Search Engine Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIf you work 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., you have about two hours until most people arrive, which is probably the only two hours in which you can get anything done. Frozen margaritas on Friday. Lots of desk drawers if you take the rolling drawers from the dozens of empty desks. Very little customer contact unless you're a project manager.

ConsInsane workload, very little training (two weeks, if you're lucky), micromanagement, cooked books, an owner whose business decisions don't make sense, very little incentive to get anything done, abusive emails from management...

BAD MANAGEMENT.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some people with management experience and run things ethically. It's hard to spend more than a year lying to clients. It's even harder to perform quality online marketing for more than like 10 clients at once, to say nothing of the 60+ that the developers and SEMs have.

Complete and utter waste of time - unethical business practice.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNONE! This place is a dead pit stop for anyone.

ConsEVERYTHING! You can't work for a business who doesn't believe in honesty and real hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your act! You can only cheat the IRS, your employees and clients for so long.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely unethical, unprofessional and unorganized company.

Project Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosfree coffee, great office view, no micro managing

Conspoor training, huge work load, no employment paperwork, unethical management of employees' taxes (they don't withhold them), claimed that we are "free-lancers" then another time "private contractors" yet required us to work 40 hours a week while providing us with the office equipment to do our job, they never made an official agreement with the staff regarding type of employee that we would be considered, they don't give their employees their paycheck stubs upon request, management cannot follow through with deadlines, therefor hindering customer service, has had high turnover in the last few years, ignores communication from employees and clients, an email response from an employee or client could take up to a week..or never, clients often thought Pop Labs was going out of business because they are a hard to reach by phone, no communication among employees within the office during office hours, no weekly/monthly meetings to discuss current business, clients cannot even reach the main office line, incompetent management, no team players, no career opportunities, no professional relationship development between co-workers, made employees work in a 40 degree room for a few weeks in the winter time with no heat, CEO of company only comes a round once every 6 months or longer, once Pop Labs switched locations they made employees use their personal cell phones as direct lines with no compensation for it, CEO fails to meet with clients as he schedules meetings with them yet requires project coordinators and directors to meet with clients with less than 5 hour notice, very unprofessional language in emails by CEO & upper management, changes pay date on employees without explaining things correctly the first time which leaves employees wondering if they are even going to get paid, does not pay employees last paycheck after they put in their 2 weeks notice, no core values, no code of conduct, can't refund clients who's site has been down over a month, yet loves to take vacations and under pay their educated employees, cannot even properly launch a new website without the clients calling saying their e-commerce is not working and they are losing business!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your employees as valued people and learn how to run a professional, ethical company.

BEHARE: Death end for your career with a salary less than McDonnald's line worker

Search Engine Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosthe place has the appearance of fun at the beginning but once you see all the lies and incompetent management a pig pong table wont mean much to you

Conslow salary
    no value to customers
    intense work load
    no health insurance
    no training
    no advancement

Advice to Senior Managementjust stop lying to your people and your customers

If you're taking a job based on future promises, reevaluate the situation based on what's available at present.

Search Engine Marketing Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress code
    Free coffee
    Occasional kolache days
    Location near a lot of great Asian food
    Great SEM manager

ConsUnrealistic work load (60-70+ accounts for SEMs, doing both SEO and PPC)
    Most senior staff members very disrespectful
    Supposed to be salary, but any time you're late or you need to be at an appointment, you're treated as hourly

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're only going to get as much respect from employees as you give them. Give nothing, and expect the same back. Worry less about appearances and more about substance. You have some talented people on staff who are frustrated with the lack of mobility within the company and at the lack of innovation, too.

I regret working for Pop Labs; it was a dysfunctional environment where I gained little.

Sales/Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros-Owner willing to share story of how he created his personal wealth
    -Free coffee; free alcohol on Fridays

Cons-Often felt mislead. What I was told during interview about future salary expectations and advancement timetable was WAY off reality (i.e. was told all 'closers' make $90,000+ after around 3 months of training, when in reality it took a lot longer to make a lot less than that).
    -Unprofessional environment. Name-calling, inappropriate remarks about females, verbal spats, etc, can be expected on a weekly basis.
    -Lifeless day-to-day. The leadership sells the idea to potential employees that Pop Labs is a fun place to work with a lot of potential for growth. But in reality the people in charge are unimaginative...sales meetings are the same week after week. And yes, the leadership travels to conferences and goes to fun events, but outside of booze on Fridays and the occasional happy hour, there isn’t much fun being had at Pop Labs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiving advice to Pop Labs leadership would be a waste of time, and dismissed without thought. The leadership at Pop Labs would prefer to verbally assault anyone with an alternative view than consider the thought that changes could be made.

Intense place to grow - definitely not for everyone

Houston, TX

Pros- Large advancement opportunities
    - Relaxed atmosphere and casual dress code
    - Creative atmosphere, complete with ping pong table for "bouncing" around ideas
    - Pay based on performance
    - Flexible work schedule & time off

Cons- The sales people turn the air conditioner to freezing
    - The office is located in a spot where there is little to choose from for lunch
    - Free coffee (kidding)
    - Leadership trips with all expenses paid (wait, that's probably a Pro)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to spend more time with newer employees so that they know more about you. And spring for more company sponsored happy hours!

In my opinion this has been a fantastic place to work. I came to Houston as green as could be a few years ago and have definitely found a home with Pop Labs. My hard work here has paid off: I've been recognized for it consistently, promoted several times, and learned more in the few short years I've been here than I ever did in school.

This is definitely not a job for just anyone though. The hours are long, the workload is high (nowhere near as high as what some reviews seem to inflate), but the rewards are worth it. It's very much an environment where Risk = Reward. Anyone with a decent work ethic will thrive here. But if you're looking for a job to sit around at and collect a paycheck look elsewhere, the harder working employees who are vested in the success of the company and their personal career development will spot that right away.

I have both a social life and a full family life - managing your work/life balance isn't a responsibility of your employer, it's your own responsibility. Personal accountability can take someone very far these days. If you do get a chance to apply to Pop Labs and think you have what it takes to excel then I strongly encourage you to do so.

This place is a dead end for anyone who is seeking a real career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress attire
    free coffee
    ping pong table

ConsAbusive work environment. Management will verbally attack employees in front of the entire office.

Employee work load is outrageous. For example, the employees who oversee client accounts have anywhere from 25 to 35 clients to manage on a continual basis. Other companies who provide similar services give these same level employees 2 - 10 accounts to manage.

They will promise employees health insurance, advancement oppotunities, and extensive training, in order to coerce employees into accepting a very low salary. Chances of getting a raise are very minimal.They like to hire young people so they can exploit the eagerness of inexperienced workers by pressuring them to work unaceptable hours while paying them very little.

Insanely high employee turnover. New employees do not have enough time to properly learn their jobs before being thrown into the fires left by the many employees constantly quitting.

Employees have no time for a social life due to expectations from management to put in a lot of hours. Therefore, coworkers end up spending a lot of time together and dating each other.

Some managers rarely come into the office, if they even show up at all.

Low Pay - around 30-35K / year

No health insurance, and employees are not paid enough to buy individual health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. The office reeks of lies and empty words. The "fake it till you make it" mantra that management tells everyone will only lead to employees performing at sub par levels and hiding anything that might get them in trouble. Employees should feel comfortable to come to anyone in management with any work related issue. Otherwise, employees give you the "perception" that they are working when they are not doing anything at all.

You can't run a business with a managment policy of intimidating employees to do what you want. This will lead to the destruction of your company culture and the destruction of any quality employees who might stick around. Research Enron and their culture if you need more information.

Learn from past mistakes...PLEASE! Management doesn't seem to bother to research good business practices or teqniques. Instead, you resort to school yard bullying and other forms of mental abuse. You lose so much money in the long run with this type of environment.

Employees imitate management. When your management sucks, your employees cannot succeed, and therefore the services you promise to clients will continue to be poor quality.

Try learning how to actually manage, train your employees properly, and actually retain those emplpyees longer than 2-3 years. Then see how much money you make compared to now.

Typical for a Web Marketing Agency, but look elsewhere

(Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros- Were opportunities to travel for all
    - Colleagues were fun

Cons- Work heavily imposes on social life
    - Poor communication of policies
    - Plenty of pressure with minimal value (few learning experiences, rare recognition for good work)
    - Low employee morale
    - Everyone has already mentioned pay, benefits, etc. so I won't

Like many other reviews, this is highly leaning toward the negative. Some of these are typical for agencies as it's a service-based business, but the stress level is way too high for what is very simple work for anyone proficient in customer service, SEM/SEO and web development.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Worked for Pop Labs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pop Labs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pop Labs CEO Gene McCubbin . All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Pop Labs employees.