Pop Labs

Gene McCubbin

Go-Getters with an Entrepreneurial Spirit

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pop Labs is a great company to work for if you are determined to take responsibility for your success and are truly interested in doing your job with integrity because you have a good work ethic and care about your customers/prospects. If you are interested in working for a hard-driving Entrepreneur and are an independent thinker, you will be acknowledged here. The company and management is not for the feint of heart. From my experience, the best and brightest have learned immensely and have had opportunities to build a career where they may not have been given the opportunity elsewhere - without many skills or a college degree. Additionally, more than a handful of people that have built the fabric of this company have taken this opportunity to learn and have successfully started their own businesses. If you strive to be a big fish in a small pond and desire to expand your skills, you have the freedom to do that here. You also have a great mentor in the CEO if you can earn his respect by taking initiative to do your best without being told to do so. You should have a heads down approach and a positive attitude. The world is your oyster if you know how to cultivate it. The opportunity is yours for the taking if you are a Type A+ personality. You will be a valued employee if you take the proper initiative on your own.

Cons

If you need a lot of direction and hand holding or want an easy ride - this is not the place for you. You will not succeed. You are not applying to a major corporation with bureaucratic rules and politics. What you see is what you get. Buyer beware if you can't handle the freedom to build on your own chutzpah and self direction. Work life balance shouldn't be a problem if you are the type that loves to work hard, and play hard.

Stop hiring people that are not self-motivated and want to settle for mediocrity in their life. Do not hire folks that need a paint by numbers approach to being their best. Learn to recognize talent that are able to push themselves to a higher calling or better lifestyle. Anyone that can't balance work and life or learn to push back and set boundaries when they need to are not Type A+. Look for character traits that exemplify those qualities and let the rest work somewhere else.

Hate

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learning what NOT to do

Cons

Everyone, Everything, Everybody, Every Action, Infinity

Quit

If You Want to Know What Bad Looks Like, Say Hello

Current Employee - Search Engine Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pop Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., you have about two hours until most people arrive, which is probably the only two hours in which you can get anything done. Frozen margaritas on Friday. Lots of desk drawers if you take the rolling drawers from the dozens of empty desks. Very little customer contact unless you're a project manager.

Cons

Insane workload, very little training (two weeks, if you're lucky), micromanagement, cooked books, an owner whose business decisions don't make sense, very little incentive to get anything done, abusive emails from management...

BAD MANAGEMENT.

Hire some people with management experience and run things ethically. It's hard to spend more than a year lying to clients. It's even harder to perform quality online marketing for more than like 10 clients at once, to say nothing of the 60+ that the developers and SEMs have.

Complete and utter waste of time - unethical business practice.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NONE! This place is a dead pit stop for anyone.

Cons

EVERYTHING! You can't work for a business who doesn't believe in honesty and real hard work.

Clean up your act! You can only cheat the IRS, your employees and clients for so long.

Extremely unethical, unprofessional and unorganized company.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free coffee, great office view, no micro managing

Cons

poor training, huge work load, no employment paperwork, unethical management of employees' taxes (they don't withhold them), claimed that we are "free-lancers" then another time "private contractors" yet required us to work 40 hours a week while providing us with the office equipment to do our job, they never made an official agreement with the staff regarding type of employee that we would be considered, they don't give their employees their paycheck stubs upon request, management cannot follow through with deadlines, therefor hindering customer service, has had high turnover in the last few years, ignores communication from employees and clients, an email response from an employee or client could take up to a week..or never, clients often thought Pop Labs was going out of business because they are a hard to reach by phone, no communication among employees within the office during office hours, no weekly/monthly meetings to discuss current business, clients cannot even reach the main office line, incompetent management, no team players, no career opportunities, no professional relationship development between co-workers, made employees work in a 40 degree room for a few weeks in the winter time with no heat, CEO of company only comes a round once every 6 months or longer, once Pop Labs switched locations they made employees use their personal cell phones as direct lines with no compensation for it, CEO fails to meet with clients as he schedules meetings with them yet requires project coordinators and directors to meet with clients with less than 5 hour notice, very unprofessional language in emails by CEO & upper management, changes pay date on employees without explaining things correctly the first time which leaves employees wondering if they are even going to get paid, does not pay employees last paycheck after they put in their 2 weeks notice, no core values, no code of conduct, can't refund clients who's site has been down over a month, yet loves to take vacations and under pay their educated employees, cannot even properly launch a new website without the clients calling saying their e-commerce is not working and they are losing business!

Learn how to treat your employees as valued people and learn how to run a professional, ethical company.

BEHARE: Death end for your career with a salary less than McDonnald's line worker

Current Employee - Search Engine Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pop Labs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the place has the appearance of fun at the beginning but once you see all the lies and incompetent management a pig pong table wont mean much to you

Cons

low salary
    no value to customers
    intense work load
    no health insurance
    no training
    no advancement

just stop lying to your people and your customers

Great agency, great people. I loved interning at Pop Labs.

Former Employee - Social Media Marketing Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Social Media Marketing Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

My supervisors were friendly and approachable- always willing to explain questions I had regarding assignments and the overall advertising industry. I was very satisfied during my time at Pop Labs as I learned to fine tune my project-management skills and I learned more about social media.

I highly recommend Pop Labs to anyone who is serious about gaining valuable experience in the marketing/advertising industry.

Cons

I do not have any CONS for Pop Labs.

Keep up the great work!

If you're taking a job based on future promises, reevaluate the situation based on what's available at present.

Former Employee - Search Engine Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Search Engine Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs

Pros

Casual dress code
    Free coffee
    Occasional kolache days
    Location near a lot of great Asian food
    Great SEM manager

Cons

Unrealistic work load (60-70+ accounts for SEMs, doing both SEO and PPC)
    Most senior staff members very disrespectful
    Supposed to be salary, but any time you're late or you need to be at an appointment, you're treated as hourly

You're only going to get as much respect from employees as you give them. Give nothing, and expect the same back. Worry less about appearances and more about substance. You have some talented people on staff who are frustrated with the lack of mobility within the company and at the lack of innovation, too.

I regret working for Pop Labs; it was a dysfunctional environment where I gained little.

Former Employee - Sales/Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales/Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at Pop Labs

Pros

-Owner willing to share story of how he created his personal wealth
    -Free coffee; free alcohol on Fridays

Cons

-Often felt mislead. What I was told during interview about future salary expectations and advancement timetable was WAY off reality (i.e. was told all 'closers' make $90,000+ after around 3 months of training, when in reality it took a lot longer to make a lot less than that).
    -Unprofessional environment. Name-calling, inappropriate remarks about females, verbal spats, etc, can be expected on a weekly basis.
    -Lifeless day-to-day. The leadership sells the idea to potential employees that Pop Labs is a fun place to work with a lot of potential for growth. But in reality the people in charge are unimaginative...sales meetings are the same week after week. And yes, the leadership travels to conferences and goes to fun events, but outside of booze on Fridays and the occasional happy hour, there isn’t much fun being had at Pop Labs.

Giving advice to Pop Labs leadership would be a waste of time, and dismissed without thought. The leadership at Pop Labs would prefer to verbally assault anyone with an alternative view than consider the thought that changes could be made.

Intense place to grow - definitely not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Pop Labs

Pros

- Large advancement opportunities
    - Relaxed atmosphere and casual dress code
    - Creative atmosphere, complete with ping pong table for "bouncing" around ideas
    - Pay based on performance
    - Flexible work schedule & time off

Cons

- The sales people turn the air conditioner to freezing
    - The office is located in a spot where there is little to choose from for lunch
    - Free coffee (kidding)
    - Leadership trips with all expenses paid (wait, that's probably a Pro)

Be willing to spend more time with newer employees so that they know more about you. And spring for more company sponsored happy hours!

In my opinion this has been a fantastic place to work. I came to Houston as green as could be a few years ago and have definitely found a home with Pop Labs. My hard work here has paid off: I've been recognized for it consistently, promoted several times, and learned more in the few short years I've been here than I ever did in school.

This is definitely not a job for just anyone though. The hours are long, the workload is high (nowhere near as high as what some reviews seem to inflate), but the rewards are worth it. It's very much an environment where Risk = Reward. Anyone with a decent work ethic will thrive here. But if you're looking for a job to sit around at and collect a paycheck look elsewhere, the harder working employees who are vested in the success of the company and their personal career development will spot that right away.

I have both a social life and a full family life - managing your work/life balance isn't a responsibility of your employer, it's your own responsibility. Personal accountability can take someone very far these days. If you do get a chance to apply to Pop Labs and think you have what it takes to excel then I strongly encourage you to do so.