PopCap Games

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
3.5

Dave Roberts

Fun place to work with amazing talent and room for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PopCap Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

YOU HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE OF WORK! This may sound like nothing, but at my last job, I was working 12 hours a day and weekends. I never saw my family. But the second I was hired by Popcap/EA, my family life improved beyond compare. That and my compensation went through the roof. I was actually getting paid to do what I love and have my weekends back! Not only can I see my family, I can actually afford to keep my head above the financial waters!

Your hard work is recognized and rewarded with raises, stock, and/or career growth. Everyone is very friendly, and despite the industry giants that you WILL meet, there are zero egos. Everyone is just there to make great games and have fun doing it.

If it's not for you, they won't get angry if you want to leave or have a better opportunity else where (like some companies in Seattle). In fact, they will encourage it and even help you on your way. Or at the very least, you will get a plethora of referrals.

Feeling ill? Take the day off, they understand. Need to take a week off to spend with family? Go for it. The deadlines are reasonable enough to actually get things done even with vacation time. There are lots of team outings for celebrating releases or if the team did a great job pulling together. Like I said...you are rewarded a lot for good work.

Cons

Some entrenched management that do very little or are too money-hungry to listen to the devs to make the right decisions which can serve to be a problem in holding the company back. And the ones who suffer are the employees who actually make the games. Upper management don't make games, the employees do. If management screws up, they need to pay the price, not the workers.

Clean out the upper management a little. Your employees deserve better than to lose jobs because of terrible decisions made by people who don't understand the inner workings.

Start cycling out Poplabs developers to start newer and fresher ideas so the company stays fresh and on top of the leaderboards.

Fun place to work. Good people. But lots of ups and downs in the casual game world.

Former Employee - Artist/UI Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Artist/UI Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at PopCap Games as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Quirky perks. Fun group activities.

Cons

Waters are a little rocky these last few years.

Bad reputation for a reason

I worked at PopCap Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly smart and passionate employees.

Cons

Have a bad people philosophy. Only invest in their 1% and leadership team. Have pitted teams and groups against one another, very much a "them vs. us" mentality instead of a team.

Great dev teams, senior management vision and leadership still looking for its groove

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PopCap Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The dev teams for the most part are top notch - I think the best most ambitious devs working in the casual segment. Perks, while cut back, are still pretty good. Office culture is pretty friendly though somewhat passive aggressive and gossipy.

Cons

Leadership is lacking. That layer feels disconnected from the teams in the trenches. Decisions seem arbitrary, hiring is opaque, promotions, staffing and layoffs puzzling and not merit based.

Listen to the teams more. Grow and nurture talent. Plans should be the articulation of your strategy, and not a limitation to creativity. Be aware that people see your old relationships and feel excluded at best.

Awesome Peeps, Tough conditions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at PopCap Games as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I learned so much so quickly. And I experienced great connections with some whip-smart people who were passionate about their work. I loved coming into work especially when I was really challenged in a different role than what I was hired for.

Cons

Wow. There is a serious existential crisis happening there. Vechey is really pulling it together but he has some incredible forces working against him - like the uh..parent company that has no soul.

Stay one step ahead of that parent company so they don't feel the need to infiltrate every part of PopCap.

Lost it's Way

I worked at PopCap Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An amazing place when I started. A company that had lot's of soul and positive energy. Great people doing great work. Still lots of great people there, and a lot of them are looking to get out.

Cons

Lack of new IP, unorganized management on the PopCap side (they were trying hard) and parent company culture eroded the PopCap spirit.

Vechey is making a great effort to improve everything. Keep fighting the good fight!

PopCap on the up-and-up

Current Employee - Business in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business in Seattle, WA

I have been working at PopCap Games full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Make great games and work with top-notch talent!

Cons

Lots of changes in structure over past year

What was isn't anymore

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at PopCap Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with at the lower levels, snacks, vacation policy

Cons

Lack of proper road map and leadership has led to a lot of defection of top talent, lack of new products plus layoffs. EA is now more involved since PopCap couldn't figure things out

They need to produce a proper road map and get some games into production before the clock runs out

From Seattle Gem to just another job.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at PopCap Games full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

An incredible group of talented and driven developers, artist. The entire company if full of great ideas, inspiration, and passion. It's an excellent place to learn from some of the most talented individuals in the worlds. Teams often did a great job celebrating milestones. Decent hours for a game company. Great office location.

Cons

Having so many talented people under one roof often caused there to be 'too many cooks in the kitchen'. This resulted in a lack of accountability when things went poorly and when things went well it was difficult to figure out why. Black box management between the CEO level and the Producer level.

Fight for PopCap! Take some risks, put YOUR neck on the line and OWN IT!

Great Casual Games

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at PopCap Games full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance and supportive community amongst co-workers. Wonderful games and fun projects to work on. A great group of exceptionally creative people.

Cons

Inevitable change after acquisition led to confusing goals for the company; focus was not clear to those not on the executive level. Multiple rounds of layoffs over last few years was unsettling and made many employees fearful and unable to focus to their full potential.

Please be as transparent as possible with employees.

PopCap Games Photos