Porch Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Matt Ehrlichman

Pros
  • Very impressive C-level executives and with everyone sitting on the same floor (no offices) they are approachable (in 4 reviews)

• We have an amazing roof top to work and hang out on, boccie ball, a putting green, free lunch Fridays, a stocked fridge and a keg (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management could use a lot of training and even a massive restructure (in 5 reviews)

• Sales reps don't really understand want we are selling (in 4 reviews)

1. Phenomenal company to work for

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch (Less than a year)

Pros

*The culture, the work environment, and the people you work with are all top notch. Everyone, I mean everyone, has each other's back and works as a cohesive unit. The amount of optimism in the face of adversity is universal. There are problems, but they're recognized and addressed by everyone-from the top down. There is also a 100% open door policy with the upper management-from the CEO down.

*Catered lunch on Friday and two kegs open to everyone after 3pm. Can't go wrong with that.

*A plethora of snacks that are always available. As well as a cereal bar.

*The benefits are phenomenal are begin day one of employment.

*There's a ping pong table, if that's your thing.

Cons

*Cold calling. It's not for everyone and it can get downright brutal at times. High dial rates and plenty of rejection on a daily basis. It can make for a very long and stressful day.

*Lots of bugs still in the CRM. If you know how to work Salesforce, excellent. But there's not a lot of training if you don't and there's a ton of trial by fire going on. It's definitely a start-up, so it's completely understandable that there's still a lot of kinks that they have to work through.

*The ping pong can be extremely distracting. Generally it's only played during lunch and after 3pm, but there are times when it happens in the middle of the day and the sound of it can distract you if you're on a call or writing an email.

Advice to Management

Try and curtail when people can play ping pong. Or at least relocate the table when you move to the new location. Continue to work out the bugs in Salesforce. Continue to do amazing work.

2. Software Engineer

I worked at Porch full-time

Pros

Lot's of great co-workers and a laid back working environment. The culture is very good.

Cons

The management is not great. I felt a lot of the time, I had to find my own direction to be productive.

Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Porch is a great place to work! Sure, there are kinks to work through -- it's a start up that's growing incredibly fast. However, if you're looking to grow your career by being challenged, working with great, smart people in a fun, energetic environment, then check out Porch!.

Cons

We're packed in pretty tight - but we're moving to a larger space in SODO in a couple months.
    It can be frustrating working in an environment where change is so frequent. Ability to adjust is a must.

Advice to Management

You can't communicate with each other and the employees too often!

Local Market Cold Caller

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist
    Former Employee - Local Market Specialist

I worked at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Porch is very energetic and positive. There's no denying that. People seem to care about your well-being, and most people seem to enjoy their work.

Cons

Training was VERY misleading for the inside sales team. We were told that you should never self source and that your manager would always proved you with valid leads. This couldn't have been further from the truth.

The minute you step onto the sales floor after training, you discover that everyone is self sourcing and rarely getting leads from management. The leads you do get are absolutely dreadful. I was lucky of 1 out of 10 produced a valid answer from the expected business.

In order to effectively self source, you were expected to spend time outside of yours paid 8 hour day. While at work, you simply had to pound the phone ALL DAY LONG. Some people have the wherewithal to do this, but I think they were on something.

As to culture, I had mixed feelings. Though people seemed to care about you, it was the staff that was paid to do so (I.e. Management, new hire welcome team, etc). Everyone else seemed very clickish and unapproachable. On a side note, don't work hear if you are anti-hipster. SO MUCH HIPSTER. It was unsettling.

Cold Calling Machine

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some pretty awesome people you were along side with.
    Cool office.

Cons

Upper/Middle management.
    Micro-management.
    Cold-Calling machines is what they will make you.
    NO transparency.
    WORST pay in the industry.
    Too many other "Cons" to name.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees.
    Stop micro-managing.
    Stop using "scare" tactics such as "if you don't want to be here, then leave!"

Think before you jump

I worked at Porch

Pros

Cool office
    Free coffee
    Convenient location
    Catered lunch on Friday

Cons

Way too many to list. Read the review.
    Low pay
    Bad product
    Low/no hiring standard
    Call centre environment

Advice to Management

When you walk into porch.com offices for the first time, you’re immediately swept up in what feels like the offices of google, circa 1999. It is 100% quintessential San Franciscan start up in look, feel, and attitude. For someone interviewing for a job, you feel like you’ve struck gold. Before you even start the interview, you’ll be salivating over the thought of an offer letter. But wait, because there’s so much more to know before you sign on that dotted line….

I spent more than a year at Porch, and therefore have quite a bit to say. I watched the company morph and change direction, encounter obstacles, overcome those obstacles, fail, succeed, thrive, and by the time I left, decline. If you’re wondering what it is like to work at Porch, find someone who has worked there for more than six months (which is challenging, because everyone is so new), and talk to them. The following is my honest account of the time I spent there….

Porch is a great place to launch your career and a fantastic place to get start up experience. If you're fresh out of college or changing industries (into high tech), I'd consider Porch. Likewise, if you're someone who has high tech experience and you crave a start up environment, Porch is worth investigating. The senior management is fantastic, the office is very conveniently located (although the company will soon outgrow its current office), and the vibe at the office is great.

However, before jumping in with both feet you should make a serious attempt to understand exactly what Porch is trying to accomplish. If you're interviewing for a sales or account management position, developing this understanding is crucial. Local Market Specialists and Account Managers are the most market-facing positions at Porch, and your job will consist of interfacing (via telephone) with "paid/premium pros" all day long. If you are interviewing for a job elsewhere in the company, the chances are that you have a few years of experience and some expertise under your belt. Thus, you'll likely already be familiar with Porch's model and mission. If not, heres a synopsis -

There are literally hundreds of "lead generation" companies that sell leads to contractors, painters, electricians, landscapers, plumbers, and so on. A "lead" is (traditionally) the name and telephone number of someone who has expressed interest (usually somewhere on the internet) in having a service done at/on their home. The lead business represents a very, very large part of Porch's revenues and overall headcount. If you are interviewing for a sales job, you'll be selling this part of the business (i.e Porch Premium). Porch is commonly billed as a "newer, sexier, smarter Angie’s List", which is a fair and accurate comparison. Porch is smarter about generating higher quality leads for contractors, and they do this by ingesting terabytes of information that contractors give to Porch about their work history. The idea is that consumers will have access to better, more complete information about the professionals they hire to work on their homes.

So why does this matter? Well, if you're a sales person it matters because you're selling a product that doesn't work. The product is weak because consumers don’t go to the website - its as simple as that. The functionality of the product is great, the user interface is beautiful and the end-user support is robust. There simply is not enough people coming to the site. Yes, Porch has a partnership with Lowes. However, the Lowes channel accounts for a minuscule percentage of the leads that Porch generates for its premium pros. The Porch presence in Lowe’s stores has been the single greatest driver of revenue, and Porch would likely still be a sub-100 person company without it. How/why does the partnership drive revenue? Because sales people will pickup the phone and claim that hundreds of people and walking into Lowe’s and getting plugged into Porch by the store employees. In reality, that almost never happens. It makes for a great sales pitch and some very excited customers on day one, but some very unhappy ones in the subsequent weeks.

In the year that I worked at Porch as a salesperson, I sold countless subscriptions to contractors who would typically cancel within the first 90 days. Thus, Porch has a very real and very concerning problem that stems from the strategy that the leadership has embraced - They've sold too much of the product too soon. Think of it this way - There are only so many contractors in America who (under any given circumstance) would purchase Porch Premium. Of them, Porch has sold far too many, too far in advance of the product maturing. As a result, Porch has a very, very bad reputation amongst contractors (do a google search for "contractortalk Porch.com" or "Porch.com premium reviews", and you will see what I am saying. The problem is only getting worse, since Porch is hiring more and more Local Market Specialists.

The growth at Porch is (unsurprisingly) billed as a good thing. The axiom is “growth is good, therefore more growth is better”. Perhaps this is true in the vast majority of circumstance, but porch has reverted to simply putting butts in chairs. To be fair, this only true for non-sales/account management positions. Marketers, HR, people on the biz dev team, the PR staff, designers and developers are very carefully chosen in a somewhat competitive hiring process. Sales people are hired by the dozen in group interviews. Literally, by the dozen. As a sales person, you will not be treated the same as people elsewhere in the organization. You will not have access to the same opportunities or privileges, you will not be paid as well, and you will not have the same level of freedom or autonomy. You are disposable and replaceable. Selling Porch premium does not take a lot of brain power, much less a college degree. After all, the product is simple - there IS no product. Good performance marketers are hard to find, people who can pickup the phone and pitch Porch premium are not.

What it ultimately comes down to is this - Are you willing to work in a call center? Are you comfortable making a minimum of 100 dials a day? Are you ok with selling a product that doesn’t work? If so, Porch is your dream job. But even if you are that person, it won’t take long for you to figure out that porch.com is no Google.

Ps. Also keep in mind that we are in the midst of the biggest tech bubble in the history of the American Economy. Companies (very much like Porch) have been able to easily raise hundreds of millions of dollars in funding, and others (like airbnb) have been valued at north of $10B. That bubble is going to burst at some point, and when it does you’ll be out of a job.

Sales

Current Employee - Local Market Specialist
    Current Employee - Local Market Specialist

I have been working at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers. I have made a lot of great friends in my time working at Porch.

Cons

Too many to list. Refer to the "Think before you jump..." review below.

Biggest issue is the lack of communication between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Allow your team to have productive, open communication and listen to what they have to say.

Really not all it's cracked up to be

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays
    Inspiring, talented leadership
    Nice office

Cons

Fighting a losing battle
    Company does not take care of its customers
    Cramped quarters, especially for sales
    Loud office
    False information is communicated in company meetings, and shared to promote the impression of transparency
    Low pay

Sales

I worked at Porch full-time

Pros

Great CEO who has a positive plan for the future

Cons

Horrible sales managers, get treated like you're 5 and they lie.

Advice to Management

Get better at coaching, not micromanaging and provide proper training.

Fast paced startup

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to dig in and stretch yourself. You will have an impact (good or bad) on what Porch becomes. Tremendous group of people - smart, dedicated, helpful.

Cons

Can be loud - lots of people in a small place. Priorities change a lot, but that's pretty common in a startup.

Advice to Management

Try and keep the culture as we grow. It's awesome!

RSS Feed </> Embed