Porch Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Matt Ehrlichman

Pros
  • Very impressive C-level executives and with everyone sitting on the same floor (no offices) they are approachable (in 4 reviews)

• We have an amazing roof top to work and hang out on, boccie ball, a putting green, free lunch Fridays, a stocked fridge and a keg (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle management could use a lot of training and even a massive restructure (in 5 reviews)

• Sales reps don't really understand want we are selling (in 4 reviews)

1. Work Hard Play Hard

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, catered lunch on friday, breakfast daily, great co workers. Very good place to start out entry level, fun, young and upbeat work environment

Cons

100% Cold Calls, High turn over rate. Your going to spend your entire day cold calling and only cold calling, expect to have dialed around 100 x by days end

Advice to Management

Everything is run really well for what is expected of someone in the role, it would be nice to have a periods of the day to shadow or get some insights into other departments of the company especially for those who have aspirations outside of sales.

2. Data Science at Porch

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm really enjoying working in Data Science at Porch. We have a great team and have the opportunity to tackle a variety of challenging problems every day. Porch overall has great people who are all working hard to achieve a common goal. We're growing FAST which is exciting too, you never know what the next day will bring.

Cons

The fast pace of growth and changing landscape make for an intense work environment. We work hard to keep a good balance in our team, but it can be difficult to manage all of the competing priorities. We try to keep our focus on the top priority and take it one step and a time, one day at a time.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to the great people that you have. People close to the product and people close to the data know what's up and have tons of insights to offer. Keep the channels of communication wide open.

3. Account Management team ROCKS!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my job. My team is amazing and the environment in the office is fun and infectious. In 4.5 months i haven't had a day that I was dreading going to work. I miss my coworkers if I have a day off! Great benefits, beer Friday's, ping pong and rooftop BBQs!

Cons

The pay is a startup salary. Definitely not going to make millions but the other benefits make up for it

Advice to Management

Continue to try and salary match within the industry

5. Sales

Current Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best people I've ever worked with! genuinely care for each other. we're all more like family than we are friends. All the tools to success are provided. Plenty of mentors to choose from. The CEO actually remembers everyone's names and is extremely involved in our growth

Cons

The role is not for "easy going" people. Every day is a mountain to climb. Be mentally prepared for a challenge

Amazing goals derailed by power hungry people

I worked at Porch

Pros

Great people, really good work schedule, competitive pay.

Cons

Bad morale, no career development, constantly revolving door of good employees

Loving Porch

Current Employee - Product Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• transparency • strong values • highly functioning, intelligent, compassionate CEO • growth enabling environment • top notch leadership team • big, ambitious mission

Cons

• lunch options :) • startups are not for everyone, especially a fast growth startup

High turnover and low pay for 100% cold calling

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunches on friday, ORCA card with funds, good benefits, food perks, energetic atmosphere, young workforce, good vision/mission, good CEO

Cons

Low pay for inside sales job with unrealistic expectations to reach quota. Super high turnover, hired a group of 17 then laid off 10 three weeks later. High stress and 100% cold calling 100% of the time. Lots of bad leads. Lots of young inexperienced managers who don't help new hires and don't know how to manage properly.

Advice to Management

Do a better job selecting and training sales managers. Increase bonus potential and base. Work on lead sourcing.

9. Phenomenal company to work for

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Porch (Less than a year)

Pros

*The culture, the work environment, and the people you work with are all top notch. Everyone, I mean everyone, has each other's back and works as a cohesive unit. The amount of optimism in the face of adversity is universal. There are problems, but they're recognized and addressed by everyone-from the top down. There is also a 100% open door policy with the upper management-from the CEO down. *Catered lunch on Friday and two kegs open to everyone after 3pm. Can't go wrong with that. *A plethora of snacks that are always available. As well as a cereal bar. *The benefits are phenomenal are begin day one of employment. *There's a ping pong table, if that's your thing.

Cons

*Cold calling. It's not for everyone and it can get downright brutal at times. High dial rates and plenty of rejection on a daily basis. It can make for a very long and stressful day. *Lots of bugs still in the CRM. If you know how to work Salesforce, excellent. But there's not a lot of training if you don't and there's a ton of trial by fire going on. It's definitely a start-up, so it's completely understandable that there's still a lot of kinks that they have to work through. *The ping pong can be extremely distracting. Generally it's only played during lunch and after 3pm, but there are times when it happens in the middle of the day and the sound of it can distract you if you're on a call or writing an email.

Advice to Management

Try and curtail when people can play ping pong. Or at least relocate the table when you move to the new location. Continue to work out the bugs in Salesforce. Continue to do amazing work.

Software Engineer

I worked at Porch full-time

Pros

Lot's of great co-workers and a laid back working environment. The culture is very good.

Cons

The management is not great. I felt a lot of the time, I had to find my own direction to be productive.

Local Market Cold Caller

Former Employee - Local Market Specialist
    Former Employee - Local Market Specialist

I worked at Porch full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Porch is very energetic and positive. There's no denying that. People seem to care about your well-being, and most people seem to enjoy their work.

Cons

Training was VERY misleading for the inside sales team. We were told that you should never self source and that your manager would always proved you with valid leads. This couldn't have been further from the truth. The minute you step onto the sales floor after training, you discover that everyone is self sourcing and rarely getting leads from management. The leads you do get are absolutely dreadful. I was lucky of 1 out of 10 produced a valid answer from the expected business. In order to effectively self source, you were expected to spend time outside of yours paid 8 hour day. While at work, you simply had to pound the phone ALL DAY LONG. Some people have the wherewithal to do this, but I think they were on something. As to culture, I had mixed feelings. Though people seemed to care about you, it was the staff that was paid to do so (I.e. Management, new hire welcome team, etc). Everyone else seemed very clickish and unapproachable. On a side note, don't work hear if you are anti-hipster. SO MUCH HIPSTER. It was unsettling.

RSS Feed </> Embed