Porous Materials

Updated November 23, 2014
1.3

Porous Materials Founder Krishna Gupta
Krishna Gupta

The test of my appreciation.

Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - CNC Machinist in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was given a job and was able to build my skills and get valuable experience on my resume. I went from $13/hour machinist, to $17/hr machine shop manager, to $21/hour when I found somewhere else to go.

Cons

When I use a half inch 3 flute endmill pushing 60 ipm through aluminum, I get told i will be fired if i dont use a 1" endmill pushing 15 ipm on a retrofitted bridgeport style kneemill. When a machinist with 30 years experience joins the team and pushes the half inch endmill at 30 ipm, its ok and good thing we hired him. I get yelled at if the experienced machinist doesnt run the machines I set up the night before, but the experienced guy can take two days to scrap a part that should take one day to make two parts gets praised for whatever reason. The difference is that I can run one machine and be setting up and programming another machine and get told im worthless, and old worn out mistake prone people who struggle to keep one spindle spinning get told thank you. Also, the owners standards constantly change and everyone gets yelled at for doing with the boss says. It sounds unbelievable, but directions are forgotten and good workers are verbally abused on the regular. We are slaves for the $.

Dysfunctional

Former Employee - Lab Technician, Lab Manager in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Lab Technician, Lab Manager in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Porous Materials full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are fresh out of college and need experience in your field on your resume, this could be a good place to start. Or, if you need a quick paycheck in between jobs-- they usually are quick to hire because they're desperate for employees.

Most of the employees are great to work with, and I made several really good friends. I had a lot of fun working here when the owner was traveling.

Be sure to ask for a raise while you are on the management's good side. Once he dislikes you, you won't be able to do anything right.

Cons

The owner can be rather abrasive to work for, as the other reviewers have mentioned. They are not exaggerating.

There are no real benefits, such as vacation or health insurance, since you have to work there for so long to receive these benefits and no one is likely to stay for that long.

The turnover rate is very high. This is nice because you can quickly advance and have a management position on your resume, but it's hard to find anyone that knows what they're doing.

There's no real training. No standard operating procedures. No drawings for assembly. I felt bad giving unreliable data to paying customers, and sending out machines that don't work properly.

Unprofessional. Unpleasant.

Former Employee - Mechanical Assembler in Lansing, NY
    Former Employee - Mechanical Assembler in Lansing, NY

I worked at Porous Materials full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a good place to work if you are just out of college, don't have any responsibilities (like children) and, little or no experience to know how an actual professional workplace should be. They frequently hire young people from the two local colleges.

The boss frequently travels and the employees then turn the workplace into a party complete with beer and sometimes bbq.

Cons

The equipment made by this company is used in medical, academic and military research, yet somehow the company justifies shipping untested, uncalibrated machines to all parts of the world, the farther the better.

Due to the unprofessional environment, high turnover, and lower than market wages they are frequently required to hire unskilled college kids for critical positions such as testing.

If a customer calls to complain or get some kind of satisfaction on an unfulfilled promise (such as a machine working as expected) they are frequently hung up on, sent to voicemail or outright berated by the hot-head boss. They used to have interns from a major university, but the university stopped sending them due to the harsh conditions.

The sole proprietor has no checks or balances to his outrageous and abusive behavior. One employee tried to start an employee union in order to address these issues and was summarily fired. He sued and won. Many people sue this company and win.

Very unprofessional. Avoid this company.

People much more skilled and intelligent have offered advice to this company. It has not improved for anyone but the owner. With so many new technologies and other companies far more skilled, you should sell while you can to someone who can turn it into a truly professional business, while taking advantage of the outrageous profit margins you bleed from your customers and employees.

Hell On Earth

I worked at Porous Materials full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned about membrane and filter testing and assembly of technical instruments. Many people were kind and helpful. (Note there is a high turnover rate.)

Cons

The rantings, screaming demands, irrational behavior of the owner/manager. The lack of any professional courtesy, consistency, security, safety to the workers. Inadequate training, and a constant terror.

Retire.

I worked at Porous Materials full-time for less than a year

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at Porous Materials full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hire anyone, as long as it looks like you vaguely have experience in a related field, though I think lately they've been getting a little bit more selective. If you need a job for a few weeks, and don't plan on staying long (you don't want to plan on staying long, trust me), then they're a place to go without worrying about leaving on short notice or anything. You also interact with a number of engineering customers, so the job is not too bad for networking for your next one.

Cons

Everything that is wrong with the company stems from the boss. He is cheap and pays his employees significantly less than he should, and treats them even worse than he pays them. To him, everyone is as good as a machine: replaceable and untrustworthy without significant supervision. He doesn't want to pay for an engineer to make sure his products work, and regularly sends $20,000 machines to customers that don't work, have never worked, and are frequently so fundamentally flawed that they are unlikely to work without some design change. Then of course he, with his incredibly short temper, finds one target and will blame him/her, yelling at him/her for a month until they break down in tears or quit.
    He always has a target who he hates. Working there is like a game of hide and seek; you never want to be the target.

Treat your employees like human beings, hire anyone who knows what they're doing, pay them real wages, and give them ANY amount of autonomy. Also stop micromanaging what everyone in the building is doing. The janitor doesn't need you to teach him when and how to vacuum, and the electricians don't need you to tell them that a wire won't work unless you put a plug on the end (these are real things that happen all the time).

All in all, I don't see the company succeeding for another year unless it somehow goes under new management, which the boss would never allow.

Arguably better than being homeless

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at Porous Materials full-time (less than an year)

Cons

Special company that needs to learn how to treat employees and customers with respect

Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Quality Control Technician in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Porous Materials full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great entry-level experience. If you do your job, you will be treated well.

Cons

Low pay and unusually high turnover rate. Employees become overloaded due to poor management expectations.

Respect all customers and employees, and prioritize fewer projects to ensure quality is achieved. Then, you will be stable enough to hire more long term employees and give them more competitive salaries.

A company known for its leadership

I worked at Porous Materials

Pros

It is a job. If you have the patience to handle the management style, the rest of the employees are very nice which makes for a very relaxed atmosphere when uberboss is not around. It is fairly easy to take time off, but only because the boss sees this as costing him less. If you are a career person, or someone who takes their work seriously, this is definitely not the place for you.

Cons

The highest turnover rate in the county. This says something very concrete about the management "style", which is extremely aggressive, unpleasant and unprofessional. There is no benefits package whatsoever. Employees are required to repeatedly request performance reviews, even though written company policy states that these are regularly performed. When they occur they are rarely positive. Management does not accept criticism, constructive or otherwise. No suggestion box here, although there is a lot of talking and posturing.

Extremely low wages across the board when compared to similar functions in other companies. Management compensates by hiring the young and inexperienced, then pretending to be Gordon Ramsey of business, which of course accomplishes little. Products are often designed by people with little or no engineering qualifications and frequently pose safety risks to their operators. Unless you are going hungry, avoid any association with this company and its products.

Your greatest asset is people. If you learned a few management skills your company might actually be successful. If you were willing to pay for an engineer, you would have fewer problems with your products. There is potential for the company, but only if you sell it and leave.