Port Authority of NY & NJ

Be The First To
Add Photos

Port Authority of NY & NJ Executive Director Patrick J. Foye

Patrick J. Foye

Pros:
  • "Great work-life balance, compensation was pretty good, and employees were very friendly"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Broad range of facilities, career experience, great benefits, work-life balance"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Multi-industry company, great place to learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPA has a strong regional impact and footprint, has dedicated and specialized employees. Opportunity to grow and work on unique projects.

ConsNegative employee morale due to external political interference, benefits are being cut, declining reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe PA was not meant to be just any other government agency. What made it great in the first place was its quasi-public culture where world-class talent came to work on world-class projects, without the world-class bureaucracy. Freezing wages doesn't help - shedding political appointees will help.

Good.

ProsGreat people that work well with others and nice management styles for upper level people. Very relaxed and not micromanaged for the most part.

ConsAre not able to grow past a certain point. After being there for a long time it felt as though many of the people that were much older were no longer progressing in their careers as they had hoped.

Great intern experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSubstantive responsibilities and great managers

ConsWould be great if intern placement consistent with intern interests.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share knowledge, experience and career advice with interns.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An environment where politics and bureaucracy are more important than actually getting work done.

ProsMost of the time, I had a lot of free time. This was a pro for me, as I was a graduate student, and I could work on my dissertation during work hours. The cafeteria food is cheap...mediocre food at best, but it gets the job done. The benefits are pretty good too.

Cons1) The PA has created an environment where employees fear their superiors.

2) It's impossible to get work done because of all the bureaucratic nonsense and politics in the agency. Also, everyone at the agency over the age of 40 has mentally checked out. They do just enough work to not get fired.

3) There is no incentive to work hard here. Promotions and raises are a rarity unless someone in a position above you dies or leaves the company.

4) Performance objectives are useless, as they are immeasurable and subjective, which gives your manager complete autonomy over your success.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a culture change. Everyone here is scared to death of their bosses. Also, the performance evaluation process needs to change. Employees need more incentive to go above and beyond.

Incredible Internship Experience

WTC Construction (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat learning opportunities. Included in all aspects of daily operations. Lots of information provided for future career opportunities. Made to feel like you're a part of the team.

ConsDepending on where you live, commute can be long. Depending on the department, there may not be a lot of work to be done (told this by other interns).

Stabile, Meaningful Work

New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to work on significant infrastructure critical to the region, good benefits, good pay, stabile employment, great work life balance

Consgovernment bureaucracy creates complacency, dysfunction, and lack of efficiency

Advice to Senior Managementstart looking at ways of incentivizing performance more such that complacency and dysfunction can be reduced

My experience was very informative and fun! I gained alot of knowledge and experience

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Proscompany values, worked well with school major, exposed to alot of different departments, different atmosphere

Consjob location, lack of young people (Diversity in ages), employees procastinated ALOT and work on my part wasnt finished

Excellent!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work-life balance, compensation was pretty good, and employees were very friendly

ConsSome employees slack off and need motivation

Good experience for grad students interested in public sector work

Management Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat co-workers and good work-life balance

ConsInternship program pay is low for grad students who have job experience

Engineering Associates Program

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

ProsUnique projects at unique facilities. Good staff to work with, until the recent changes have forced out seasoned staff who were knowledgeable of PA facilities, history, and policies.

ConsShrinking benefits, clueless management.

Promotions seem to be at random, and if there is a position advertised internally its not worth the time to apply because even if you are the most qualified candidate the job is already awarded to someone picked by management before you even submit your resume.

Consultant use is also on the rise and they are treated better than PA staff. The staff cares, and the more consultants showing up is bringing morale down even more. However, consultants seem to run wild and do as they please.

Can someone explain how paying a consultant overtime is less expensive then paying a member of the PA staff OT? Does anyone look at what PA worker make compared to a consultant? Invoices are rubber stamped.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhoever it is in charge a few years from now, have fun cleaning up the mess the current regime has made.

Worked for Port Authority of NY & NJ? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Port Authority of NY & NJ reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Port Authority of NY & NJ CEO Patrick J. Foye. All 62 reviews posted anonymously by Port Authority of NY & NJ employees.