Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay, gov't job, good location

ConsNo advancement opportunities for low level employees

Need more work

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsGreat benefits nice staff. Everyone is willing to talk to you. You can be very flexible with hours and what you want to do.

ConsNot a lot to do. Completely unclear what they want us to do at certain times. Every staff member has a different agenda on what needs to get done. Wasn't even sure who was my boss half the time. They could at least just tell us what we needed to do to get hired or what they expected. Everything was random. I worked in the IT department and a lot of the senior staff were very technology challenged which was baffling to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive proper advice to interns. Have a set of tasks that we need to perform or things that we should learn other than just extra work.

Great place to learn

ProsLarge organization, opportunities to take on responsibilities

ConsCan be slow paced, older employee base

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Government Organization Run By Incompetents

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPay was decent. Busy but not constantly crazy.

ConsConstant backstabbing amongst the attorneys and staff. Instead of talking to you about a problem, they went several levels up and ultimately got me fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk about the issue with the person themselves. Don't go behind their back and tattle.

Summer Internship

Summer Engineering Aide (Former Employee)

ProsGreat field trip and networking opportunities
    Supervisor was able to give me lots of advice and feedback on my performance
    Lots of chances to go on the field and not remain in the office the entire time

ConsRigid schedule, taking days off is frowned upon depending on your supervisor

Tour Guide - Observation Deck

Tour Guide Observation Deck (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorked in the World Trade Center and absolutely loved it!

ConsNone that I can think of.

Port Authority Police

Port Authority Police (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest Police Job in the Tri State area, maybe in the country!
    Worked there 30 years, it was like working with family
    People are great, PA is a good company to work for.

ConsNot many I can think of while I was there
    Some restructuring now may make it a bit more challenging

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES THEY ARE SMARTER THAN YOU THINK!

Safe employment but lack of employee development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are many different departments which allow for new opportunities. Good benefits. Safe employment. People are friendly when engaged.

ConsIt's far too easy to land in a role where a manager doesn't even know if you're in your cubicle for an entire day. Lack of collaboration.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more active role in developing your employees, especially if they are at the beginning of their career.

It's a learning experience.

Passenger Information (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat benefits and great pay. Weekly pay. Great healthcare packages. Management works well with others. Good environment and positive workplace.

ConsLimited to certain job advancement. Rotating schedules is a negative. Security at certain stations. Standing during different weather climates(winter and summer).

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should listen a little more to what the employees would like to make everyone happy as a whole. Work scheduling is a little difficult.

It has been great I love my job and my coworkers and management are excellent people to work with.

Security Guard (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood pay, great benefits, can continue education and get help for tuition, room for advancement.

ConsSecurity Guards aren't treated the way they should get treated. We should get the same respect and acknowledgement as everyone else.

Worked for Port Authority of New York and New Jersey? Contribute to the Community!