Port Of San Diego

Add Photos

Port Of San Diego President & CEO Wayne Darbeau

Wayne Darbeau

Amazing Place to Work

Maritime Trade Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Port Of San Diego full-time for less than a year

ProsThe Port is an amazing organization to work for.. People will sit on their job though making, getting your foot in the door almost impossible

ConsPeople sit on their jobs for 20 years

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

On a ship that is going nowhere

I have been working at Port Of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits; great employees; café located in the building; free parking; close to airport; close to the water, for the days when you just have to step away.

ConsUpper and middle management does not listen to line staff input, unless you are one of the favorites; Management does not utilize the skills or education of valuable, key members of staff; it does not pay well for the cost to live in San Diego; it is very hard to promote up unless you are favored by management; Senior management has no idea what is going on at the line level, which allows middle management to run while with BS idea's that go nowhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining an organization that has no directional alignment throughout is senseless. My advice to management is to find a unified direction that would not only increase financial growth but improve moral. Once you accomplish that task, spend as much time as you need to get everyone on the same page. The top down management style, has severely failed at this company.

Outstanding.

Maritime Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Port Of San Diego as an intern for less than a year

Proseverything. Everyone want to work here

ConsPeople will never leave their jobs. they just sit on them

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Great city but very less salary according to the cost of living

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Port Of San Diego full-time

ProsUpper management listen to employees. they take action on that.
Nice city to live.
Good on site training for employee's personnel and communication growth.

ConsVery less salary(based on cost of living of that city)
Promotion based on buttering.
Immediate manager is stuck on what he wants/ideas...even though you will have good direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary should be better at least based on the employee's performance.

Typical Government Operation

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Port Of San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome of the people are great to work with, they're competent, friendly and helpful. The location is good, close to everything. CEO is putting the Port on the map.

ConsPromotions are difficult to come by, people don't leave their comfy government jobs. The people that have been promoted were promoted because they are likable not capable, which is unfortunate. Senior management doesn't know what is going on in their departments, everyone is scared of the Board. The CEO needs to have someone focus on the internal issues to the same degree he is focusing on the external PR campaign. there are unhappy departments and people at the Port.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf supervisors, managers and directors aren't doing their job, get rid of them. Do not continue to employee mediocre management.

Stressful work place that does not seem to care about their employees.

General Services/Procurement (Current Employee)

I have been working at Port Of San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCant really think of anything..

ConsThey keep restructuring the outfit to put more money in their pocket and never give back or think about the good people that actually make this place. Still to many bad employee's here, but that's what they seem to like. They are going to out source a lot of jobs coming up! Poor business but yet they spend money on things they don't need. Culture and values are in the toilet anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou just don't care unless your in the elite group of higher management. Its a shame that it has come to this.

Very Disappointed

General Services/Procurement (Current Employee)

I have been working at Port Of San Diego

ProsWorking at / on property by the water is enjoyable, Some of the people are very nice, They do pay for any school course that you might take, They give you good benefits not found else where, Enjoy the public contact.

ConsThe bad employee's out way the good, "taking advantage of what the have to offer", To afraid to deal with a bad employee one on one, Upper management does not seem to listen, To many chiefs, Never seen so much back stabbing as I have seen here, Always downsizing the low man but they seem to never get rid and/or adjust all the high paying jobs, Supervisor's telling good workers to stop working hard and slow down because they are making the bad/lazy employee's mad.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start to care about "all" aspects of every positions and not just the top paid! Open your ears and listen because a lot of people have great ideas! Give more to the low end of the business as that is one of your main foundations, don't forget that! Please deal with the bad employee's one on one and not the "BLANKET" effect! Stop treating good employee's bad! To much to list etc...

Pleasant Co-workers, Good Benefits

Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee)

I worked at Port Of San Diego

ProsConvenient location-great commute
Free parking or subsidized bus pass
Free parking and shuttle for employees who use the airport (business or personal)
Pleasant, polite employees
Fairly Modern office equipment
Education Subsidy
On-site Education and personal growth opportunities

ConsClerical staff is regarded as inferior to "college-educated" staff and not fully immersed in the team. They are frequently left out of the loop or assigned multiple "rush" jobs by team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management has been working to correct this problem for 5 years and every year the employees are polled and the results are charted. The corporate culture is slowly improving. My dissatisfaction, I believe, was the result of not having worked for a government agency before. I prefer to soar with the eagles and in gov't work, they just won't let you do that. For profit companies don't care how low your pay or education level is, if you can do the job, they'll pile it on. But people who work at for profit companies have to meet their deadlines or they'll be dismissed. The people I worked for were generous with gifts and cards and certificates of appreciation. I would have preferred just feeling that they trusted me to make them look good.

Worked for Port Of San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Port Of San Diego reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Port Of San Diego CEO Wayne Darbeau. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Port Of San Diego employees.