Port of Houston Authority

James T. Edmonds

1. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Port of Houston Authority full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Executive Director and Executive Management are above average and attempt to do "right thing". Commissioners actually care, are competent, and have set the bar high for the Port. Varied duties keep you very busy. My superiors are very supportive and allow me to do my job with minimal interference Recent major changes in senior management positions will benefit organization One of the best jobs ever had in a 25 plus year career (rewarding, challenging, and stable) For most part a very stable, professional, dedicated, loyal, workforce w/ substantial seniority GREAT benefits, especially medical and time off; every other Friday off due to 9 day / 80 hr schedule

Cons

Past few years....salaries lost ground compared to CPI COLA increases have been minimal; From my viewpoint, vast majority of staff received NO merit increases even if they were outstanding performers with insufficient resources 30% of workforce eligible for retirement over next few years; succession planning need to be higher priority Currently few opportunities for advancement due to tenure of people in higher level poisitions

Advice to Management

Stay the course and remember why WE are there---TO CREATE JOBS AND DRIVE THE ECONOMY. Employees remeined loyal and stayed even during the difficult times. As conditions/finances improve DO NOT forget their loyalty and try to repay them for that with raises, especially the lower paid employees. Reward ANYONE who is a high performers and whose work obtain Outstanding results due to their efforts/leadership

2. Admin

Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at Port of Houston Authority full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Health insurance, wonderful family oriented place to work.

Cons

Salary is very low for employees except for upper management.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees, they work hard for you.

3. Balanced Work life

I have been working at Port of Houston Authority full-time

Pros

9-80 work schedule with not to many late nights. Accounting Management is very good. A team full of women that are easy to work with.

Cons

The politics are terrible. Resources are outdated and everyone is comfortable. Hardly any competition for placement and no one wants to take on more responsibility.

5. POHA Houston, TX

I have been working at Port of Houston Authority

Pros

nice place to work, good people

Cons

Top management heavy and overpaid

Advice to Management

Provide structure and firm process for advancement

6. An unethical and unprofessional work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Port of Houston Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-Life Balance, the work is not overwhelming and can be done in a normal work day. 9-80 schedule is great, with every other Friday off. The staff is very friendly and very supportive.

Cons

Poor management who cares more about the bottom line than the people. Horrible managers are supported and not reprimanded for their poor management skills. There is no confidentiality in the HR department. While the turnover rate is high, the organization refuses to address the underlying issues.

Advice to Management

Expect that people will continue to leave until they improve the work environment and get rid of the toxic managers.

7. Employee beware

I have been working at Port of Houston Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are very friendly. The work can be challenging and interesting. The work/life balance is great and the pay is pretty decent.

Cons

Several people in management positions make it challenging for employees to progress within the organization. Poor managers keep their jobs even though turnover rates in their departments are high. Internal politics make managers paranoid. The gossip is excessive; not sure how employees get their work done.

Advice to Management

Conduct regular surveys of your employees. Make employee retention a priority. Hold management classes for senior managers. Update your employee handbook and policies.

Great place to work. Everyone is like family.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Seabrook, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Seabrook, TX

I worked at Port of Houston Authority full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every other Friday off. 11 paid holidays. Relaxed work environment. Annual employee appreciation meals.

Cons

The Port of Houston Authority has a very low atrition rate. Most people retire from here after many years of service. This coupled with the size of the organization, makes growth and advancement challenging. It is still a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open. i had a great manager at the Port. He was always sound and fair.

Depends what you are looking for

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Port of Houston Authority

Pros

Lots of time off. Good benefits.

Cons

Very little raises for the technical discipline.

Advice to Management

Management is doing the best that they can. They are restructuring and trying to get their balance sheet in order.

Great internship pay but does not lead to a fufilling career.

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Port of Houston Authority

Pros

They offer interns substantially higher salaries in comparison to other employers. Co-workers are easily approachable and provide advice about life and their careers openly. My supervisor was great; easy to talk to about all topics dealing with careers, life styles, and further academic studies. We communicated often and I was taken out on a tour of the port via car and boat. My supervisor provided useful guidance and feedback on my work.

Cons

Slow environment. Monotonous work. A very old company culture. Not much room for growth. Coworkers advised me not to spend my career there. The employees just gave off an impression that if they could have a postion that fufilled their financial needs anywhere else, they would leave.

Advice to Management

The engineering sector needs a boost of moral .Employees feel they are working towards nothing.

11. Pretty Good

I have been working at Port of Houston Authority

Pros

Flexible Schedule and off every other Friday!

Cons

No real dialogue, just concentrate on objectives.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

RSS Feed </> Embed