Port of Oakland

Port of Oakland Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great benefits, but debt load and imminent wave of retirements will continue to limit long-term growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsMotivated and (generally) friendly coworkers, great benefits and good public sector salaries. Current executive team has a positive outlook and is poised to be able to capitalize on opportunities.

ConsLots of internal turmoil over the last few years, and current economic outlook is limited due to enormous debt burden from previous projects. Generally more business-like as compared to some government agencies, but still an independent department of the City of Oakland.

Advice to Senior ManagementStill seems to be a major disconnect between the outlook and perspective (challenges and opportunities) as seen by senior team and those on the rank and file level.

In for a challenging road ahead.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsWell compensated employees; differing abilities for promotion depending on division; wide range of policy and economic challenges to tackle across revenue lines, which creates business opportunities.

Consmajor financial issues have lead to massive personnel cutbacks; employees by and large very overworked; little recognition by senior management and directors on the day to day needs to keep the place running in a sustainable manner.

Once great but now falling

Civil Engineer (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsGreat benefits including medical, a pension (!!) . Salaries are excellent. This type of employer is becoming a relic unfortunately.

ConsThe recently appointed senior management is terrible. They are incompetent in doing their jobs and are only interested in selling the public's valuable real estate and laying off staff to meet their budget. Rather than have any in house staff the senior management seems intent on contracting out all of the work. This leaves little room for technical growth for existing staff. I highly recommend not pursuing employment at the Port of Oakland, despite the great pay and benefits, because it is likely that in ten years there will barely be any in house staff left.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not just continue to sell off assets to make money. Run the organization like you are actually trying to run an organization.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

We all learn together

ProsThere is a lot of work for anyone who'd like to optimize procedures

ConsNobody have been trained to the "new software" installed in 2009... we all discover new / odd things everyday.

Worked for Port of Oakland? Contribute to the Community!