Port of Seattle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Port of Seattle CEO Tay Yoshitani

Tay Yoshitani

Good environment and great people to work with.

Network Engineer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe Port has an amazing benefits package that includes retirement. All employees are given FREE parking at Port properties (yes, including vacation parking at the airport). The Port takes pride in being an equal opportunity employer and encourages individuality. There is even a Veteran's program to assist service members in finding employment. The people I worked with and worked for were all very amazing people; I made a lot of friends working here.

ConsWhenever it was time to cut costs and save money on the budget, I felt like the I.T. department was always at the front of the chopping block. I wasn't in charge of the budget, and all that cost analysis stuff isn't my forte'; but it felt like we constantly had to prove day in and day out why our jobs were important.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job! Don't pinch pennies on I.T.!

Great mission, poor development.

ProsThe Port has great benefits and flexibility; work demands and culture are also good.

ConsNot a lot of development within my department. Pay is average.

Port of Seattle employees are high performers in a high performance organization.

Senior Manager Service Agreements (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat company values, great office culture.

Conswork-life balance is out of balance

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoy working here

ProsVery smart, talented employees. I feel that I work with the "cream of the crop".

Conshas a culture that is not comfortable with change. efficiency is not a priority

Advice to Senior ManagementCraft policies that help employees embrace change.

Difficult Corporate/Government Hybrid

Seattle, WA

ProsCompensation levels are good for the public sector, with nice bus and parking benefits and nice offices. Some competent employees who are good people. Some departments are better to work in than others.

ConsPolitical and rigid environment. Stated values not reflected in day to day operations or decisions. Very difficult to get things done or make changes. Conflict between staff/management and commissioners. Managers see themselves as running a for-profit business rather than operating a government agency or stewarding community infrastructure. Some employees have to work very hard and some barely have to do anything.

Ever fewer reasons to stay...

Seattle, WA

ProsThere are some wonderful people that work in the organization. They want to be effective and do well. There is generally a good work/life balance. While not limited to 40 hours/week in upper positions, success does not require regular nights and weekends. Benefits were excellent but have been consistently eroded over the past several years. A pension through the state is still offered. Health benefits are probably a little better than average currently, but don't expect that to persist.

ConsThe organization is increasingly political. The culture is process-driven and rule-based. It is difficult for even well-meaning employees to deliver success, because the organization seems incapable of defining it. When defined, the process and rules frequently make even the simplest task daunting. While giving lip service to caring about employees, senior management is often either blind or apathetic to employee concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics. Courageously determine a direction (and stick to it). Minimize obstacles and empower employees to succeed. Focus on a few more carrots and lot less sticks.

Member of the annual Refresh Team. (Hardware Upgrade Team)

Refresh Team Member (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsA large IT Department, which consisted of people from different backgrounds. If I had questions or curiosities in any area I had the opportunity to talk face to face with people that had real world knowledge in that area(vmWare, SQL, Cisco, Developers, Engineers). I gained a lot of knowledge working at the Port of Seattle.

ConsThe corporate bureaucracy made it difficult to get IT projects done in a timely fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush for IT projects that will increase productivity, and energize the department.

Great place to work, great work/life balance, interesting

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsInteresting, diverse place to work, fair pay and benefits, great work/life balance

ConsQuasi-governmental, so things sometimes progress slower than in corporations, sometimes tight budgets

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

MILITARY FRIENDLY

Veteran Fellow-Purchasing & Inventory Specialist (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsPort of Seattle Veteran Fellowship program offers a great temporary job for Veterans transitioning out of the military.

ConsNo guarantee for Veteran Fellow landing a permanent employment afterwards.

Good place to work if you need a job....

ProsGood pay and Bennies. Nice building to work in.

ConsMany spoiled employee's. Some not so bright and should move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some good ones, others just putting in there time till retirement.

Worked for Port of Seattle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Port of Seattle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Port of Seattle CEO Tay Yoshitani. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Port of Seattle employees.