Portal Solutions

4.1

Daniel Cohen-Dumani

Good work atmosphere

I worked at Portal Solutions

Pros

Well lit office
    Friendly co-workers
    Relaxed work pace

Cons

Sharepoint isn't the most exciting thing to work on.

A Small Company That Values Success for Clients and Employees

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Portal Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I joined Portal Solutions from a staff augmentation firm because I wanted to work at a company that values expertise. Portal Solutions has been the perfect fit for me in that area. The company provides a culture that allows us to been seen and sold as experts, which is very important to me.

Portal is a decidedly Microsoft SharePoint consulting firm, although the company desires to break into the wider Office 365 space. If you desire to work on that platform, there is no doubt that this is great company to work for. The company also works across many verticals as well from government, non-profit, and for-profit. To work for Portal you need to understand in 2014 and beyond there are going to be a lot (a lot) of Office 365 intranet projects because those are the projects they desire. You just need to be comfortable with that.

When I came to Portal it was a very traditional work environment where everyone sits at the same desk everyday, but that has changed in recent years. Portal now is open to a wider array of working locations and environments, and that leads me to the single greatest "pro" in working for Portal: Work/life balance. Portal has allowed me work remotely, and they give me incredible flexibility in how I balance work and life even in my daily schedule. I have never received grief for needing to handle something during the day or ask for PTO. As long as you are committed to delivering great work in the time allotted to you, there is great flexibility.

Also, Portal is always very open to re-evaluating an employee's importance and role in the company. My salary has been consistently raised to meet market expectations and my growing role in the organization. I've never felt like I couldn't discuss this honestly with management. Also, it's important to understand that Portal is not a "hand holding organization" in terms of personal success. That in my mind is not a con but a pro. The company gives you great flexibility, but if you want to do more training, further your personal brand, etc. you need to self-motivated. That is really the advantage in my mind of a small company (and why staff augmentation is revulsive for me).

Even though work/life balance is the greatest "pro," there is a close second. I have always felt like the management of Portal go out of their way to care for me. Even though I'm remote, the CEO and other management takes time out of his schedule to meet with me personally and hear my thoughts on a myriad of topics. Some people don't want visibility into a company's management, but for me it is critical and Portal gives that..

Cons

The two areas that Portal Solutions has struggled in the five years I've been here concern our identity/values as an organization and type of clients/projects we go after.

Regarding the identity and values. When I came to Portal the identity was clear: Portal Solutions is a first-rate SharePoint development firm. Over the last three years through acquisition, a changing market, and management movement that has become more difficult to pin down. It feels at times that Portal's identity and values are being shaped by the market instead of having a clearly defined identity and set of values that determines the markets we go into. The good news is that Portal is opening to changing this, and this goes back to my "pro" that to impact this you have be a self-starter. The opportunities are here to define how Portal works (in terms of internal processes) and what the company's identity is. Again, the self-motivation factor of Portal can be seen as a con, but in my mind those are people who want to have their careers handed to them. I prefer to define that for myself and work for change in an organization, and Portal gives that to you if you want it. If you think we need to work on our ALM process, marketing, etc. then just show an interest and motivation. It allows you to become multi-dimensional as an employee.

Secondly, there are the types of clients and projects we go after. Being a small company, it's harder to sponge down turns in the market. We sometimes take clients and projects that aren't the best fit for us economically or culturally. It's a lesson we continually have to relearn. Thankfully, in my time at Portal these times have been few and far between.

- Be clear in who you are as an organization. Own failures and defer praise for success to others because they both naturally happen in every company.
    - Be consistent in method and how we talk about our methodologies.
    - Continue to demonstrate that you value your employees (because they do).
    - Keep bringing in smart people to make us grow in all kinds of areas.

Amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant

I have been working at Portal Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great people, company events, and challenging diverse work

Cons

The benefits are great, but the process for reimbursement is a bit more complicated than I would like

Full time employee, great benefits, company really goes out of the way to help their employees.

Former Employee - Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Portal Solutions full-time

Pros

Excellent work life balance and plenty of flexibility, of course as long as you are performing well.
    Plenty of smart people

Cons

Employee feedback seemed to lost on leadership a lot of the times. Inability to retain talent.

Portal Solutions Response

Aug 25, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback, we are striving to improve feedback and are improving our feedback procedure.

Definitely a place to learn SharePoint

I have been working at Portal Solutions

Pros

Lots to learn, very busy

Cons

Not much structure in the company and vision is ever changing.

Lots of very smart people, but CEO changes strategy too frequently, and doesn't keep his word(maybe unintentionally?)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Portal Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about SharePoint, and consulting with SharePoint. Great people, great comraderie.

Cons

Hours are insane without any compensation to make up for that. Verbal agreements on compensation are broken. CEO micro-manages too much.

Hire a CEO who has grown a company from the current size to where you want it to be, and have current CEO take a President role instead, reaching out to customers to gauge and improve customer satisfaction.

the best team I've ever had -- excellence, commaraderie, honesty, respect, opportunities and growth

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Rockville, MD

I worked at Portal Solutions

Pros

From the developer to the CEO, each member of the Portal Solutions team was not just excellent, we thrived on one another's strengths and always tried our best; and thus we were excellent. This place became, for me and most others there, home.

Cons

Having more offices would allow project managers to better conduct meetings and conversations. The foozball table should be sound isolated, and video games (in my opinion) should be turned off until 6pm.

A great place to work with great people and flexibility.

Current Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior SharePoint Consultant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Portal Solutions

Pros

Here are the great things I've experienced here.
    * Flexible environment (no dress code, ability to work remotely, options to work from other areas).
    * Great people who happen to know alot about alot of different things SharePoint.
    * Sharing knowledge and helping each other is encouraged and practiced.
    * Young company where new ideas and new ways of thinking can influence how things are done.
    * Great environment with foosball, xbox 360, wii and basketball hoop.

Cons

As with most small companies there are some adjustments to be made.
    * Project development isn't standardized. Varies by team and by project manager. (this is great for some people but could be detrimental to others. -- but someone with great ideas could change this)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Portal Solutions

Pros

Want to work in a dynamic environment, this is the place to be

Cons

Not enough time is allocated for creative thinking

Portal Solutions Response

Aug 25, 2014CEO

Thanks for the feedback, creative thinking is something that we are concerned about and are addressing!

Stay Away

I worked at Portal Solutions

Pros

If you know how to negotiate, Portal Solutions has the capacity to pay well for some individuals.
    If you want to know SharePoint, Portal Solutions is a good place to learn.

Cons

It's all about the billable hour. It doesn't matter if you're bleeding out at the emergency room, you'd better get in those 40-50 billable per week.
    Please leave your ethics at the door.
    Management doesn't have appropriate experience in a corporate environment in the United States, so the opinions from the top are often skewed, and in some cases, questionably legal.

Success begins at the very top, and nepotism and cronyism have no place in a successful company.

Portal Solutions Photos