Portfolio Recovery

Great for some , Horrible for others

Current Employee - Collections Representative  in  Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Collections Representative in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Portfolio Recovery full-time for more than a year

Pros

The start out pay isn't bad and the incentive bonus is unlimited, you can definitely make a lot of money working with this company.

Cons

They care very little about your work life balance and constantly change schedules with out much notice and/or consideration, they have a very high turn over rate and its easier to loose your bonus than to acheive one

"Just not for everyone"

Former Employee - Collections Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Portfolio Recovery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Team was awesome. Prizes were great!

Cons

Starting pay was low for employees with families.

great potential for collectors but not for me. very disapptin

Former Employee - Account Representative  in  Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Hampton, VA

I worked at Portfolio Recovery part-time for less than a year

Pros

best people i hv ever work with however the work itself is not exciting

Cons

salaries aren't great and information not shared across department.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here is what you make it

Former Employee - Account Representative  in  Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Hampton, VA

I worked at Portfolio Recovery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

free monthly lunch, uncapped bonuses, unfair recognition - if management favored you or your manager then you will get acknowledged for being in the top 3 or 5 of the month, hit goal each month aand build your base to come in to goal each month and you will do fine, bonuses on top of hourly pay will put you over 30 and 40 thousand dollars without a degree that is awesome, turkeys and wine and or cider is given around thanksgiving time

Cons

can lose job for not making goal, unfair dialer time , you will get tired of clicking to dial a phone number , two people cant be off on the same day on a given team , its a numbers game with PRA, avps are very biased

Collector

Former Employee - Collections Representative  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Portfolio Recovery full-time for less than a year

Pros

No comment on company as far pros.

Cons

collections of debt out of statue of limitations. accts as old as 1999. Collections was not for me. People were rude and often times hung after verbal abuse.

Management was very poor and showed favoritism among collections representatives which caused tension and discontent. most of the managers were not educated and trained in leadership skills

It was horrible.

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at Portfolio Recovery full-time

Pros

One of the best things about working there was the pay. More than minimum wage plus bonuses was nice.

Cons

They want you to stretch the truth when speaking with people on the phones. If you didn't hit your monthly goal you could be terminated.

Treat the people you are calling the way you would want to be treated if a debt collector called you. Stop with the lies and games with them.

Bust your tail, work hard, be respectful, become rewarded.

I have been working at Portfolio Recovery

Pros

Great starting job with great managing experience. If you can your reps motivated, jobs becomes a lot less stressful.

Cons

You must get your reps respect, otherwise they will not want to work for you. Cannot get too close to people because rumors will spread quickly. Always must go through something negative everyday.

Need more leadership. After training, you are thrown out to the wolves. A lot of learning from your mistakes. Never enough positive feedback even when you're doing a good job.

OK place

I have been working at Portfolio Recovery

Pros

the money is cool; you can wear what ever you want

Cons

No phone but u get a background check done?!

stop fraternizing with the Account REPS!

The value of working for upper management that is ethical, and moral.

Former Employee - Collections Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Portfolio Recovery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Portfolio has upper management that truly cares about their employees. I worked for Portfolio for many years. I felt the support of all the people I worked with to assist, educate, and motivate at every opportunity. I honestly am surprised to hear such negative comments regarding the training, and the management staff. I cannot believe things have changed that much since I have left. I can only recommend that disgruntled employees reach out to their superiors, and honestly discuss their concerns. I have such respect for the company ... I would be surprised if things have changed that much.

Cons

Portfolio is one of the best places to work for in the collections field. Upper Management cares about their employees, and enthusiastically supports those employees that are eager to learn, and to embrace their responsibilities, and eager to move on up with the company.

I found leadership within the company to be concerned about their employees, and to assist each person that is eager to move upward with the company to do so.

Unprofessional environment.

Current Employee - Legal Account Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Legal Account Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Portfolio Recovery full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have the ability to make substantial monthly bonuses. PRA stock is a good way to invest long term with this company, cooperate will always make money.

Cons

Lazy management. They reward employees who pride themselves on being "husslers" and ignore employees dedicated to professionalism and workplace ethics. Other representatives have the ability to steal accounts from you which are needed to make your monthly goal. Management will not care. Some months are slow months like July and December. Inbound calls are set up for "newer employees" Management shows favoritism, if you are not liked they will find a reason to fire you. Background checks on current employees are poor at best. So many employees were arrested at work. It was normal to see a couple of cars repossessed each week. Some employees intentionally vandalized company property. employees would bring and take illegal drugs at work, management would turn a blind eye to their "favorites." Tenured employees were paid much less than newer employees. Some reps were there for 3+ years making less than $12.00 an hour, new employees were hired in at $14-$15.00.

Fire all management on the floor and re-hire. Current management is corrupt. This place needs a clean sweep. Respect years of service with tenured employees.

Worked for Portfolio Recovery? Contribute to the Community!