Portillo's Restaurant Group

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.2

Dick Portillo

I gained great experience that helped me get a much better job.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Crestwood, Cook, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Crestwood, Cook, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

the best thing is the food, you get to constantly eat and they are very flexible with your schedule and the employees are fun to talk to.

Cons

there are no benefits, if you have to work the drive thru then you will be out there in any weather condition which is terrible and like all restaraunts you also have angry and crazy customers who jus want to ruin your day.

Well there should be more concern for the employees who work outside because sooner or later there will be a lawsuit

Could Have Been Great

Former Employee - Front Cashier
    Former Employee - Front Cashier

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers were fun to be around, you were scheduled for long shifts so your paychecks were usually pretty nice. Learning the codes and protocols was fun, and when you got a break you knew where you were getting your food and that it was going to be good.

Cons

If there was a predetermined conflict with scheduling, it would sometimes be ignored. I was scheduled during school hours, and when I pointed this out to my manager his response was "If you knew there were going to be conflicts, why did you apply for this job." Also, the discounts were dismal.

Fix the inflexible scheduling. School shouldn't have been a conflict that was considered my fault, and it should have been altered instead of requiring me to call people in for all two weeks of my shifts because every single shift managed to be during school hours. I wouldn't have worked at all, and I would have been payed nothing for that two-week period. I shouldn't have been basically punished for going to school. The management was very rude to me, during this event and before, and difficult to work with.

It's "OK"

Current Employee - Drinks/Expo  in  Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Drinks/Expo in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, work is easy and repetitive,

Cons

Managers don't care at all about there employees. The crew chef and managers have some sort of blood pact and the rest of us are like paid slaves. Work can get extremely boring in the back because all you do is portion chicken and cut bread.

Put effort to create relationships with your employees. Treat us as equals (as long as we are all working efficiently)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee

Current Employee - Employee  in  Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good food, fun people to work with, fast paced, lots of hours to work

Cons

bad management, mistreatment of employees, poor scheduling

listten to your good employees and treat them fairly

Interesting concept that is never boring, but very demanding

I have been working at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-training program is real good
    -always getting hours needed
    -fast paced
    -cleanliness & sanitation is very excellent compared to a lot of restaurants

Cons

-employee/promotion raises are not what you expect, some employess make more hourly than managers at hourly rate do
    -schedule is usually doubles or 6 day work weeks for stronger employees
    -communication

use communication all the time. it is the key to making a group or team work & excel. everyone needs to be on same page.

Working at portillo's

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

Great food, great service, ok perks, what you see is what you get

Cons

Long hours, training needs more work but otherwise, it's all good

its a busy location with consistancy

Current Employee - Cook  in  Oak Lawn, IL
    Current Employee - Cook in Oak Lawn, IL

Pros

Great JOB if hours are needed. Once in the company you can make your hours flexible.

Cons

Rude customers. Pay isn't well. you have to work outside no matter how bad the weather conditions are

Completely antiquated and without ambition

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One thing you can count on when working in the corporate environment at Portillo's is that there will be reliable routines laid out for you to follow and that no part of your job will require you to think three dimensionally.

Cons

Portillos is a family owned and operated business where nepotism runs rampent as do civil wars between the family members in power. Knowing which sides to ally with are more important than skill in your job.

Positions are handed out to Employees with the last name "Portillo" or employees that have been with the company over 20 years. The company is harshly resistant to change and its business model is built upon arrogance.

It offers up no meaningful marketing strategies nor innovated consumer facing changes and benefits off the fact that it's considered a "tourist attraction" to out of state visitors and an aging "old school" chicago clientele. In short, Portillos does nothing to earn the business it has and no one there should take pride in any of the sales generated. Customers go to portillos because their parents went there. Attempts at customer acquisition or to drive up catering sales with creative upselling strategies are ignored.

The logistical behind the scenes practices are never built from the ground up but instead are Frankenstein like abominations consisting of new suggestions slapped on top of old systems. This is because the company refuses to cycling in new team leads into positions that require innovation. They allow employees to become the King of their particular kingdoms and when that employee is not forced to innovate processes become stagnent and you end up with systems that include hand checked spread sheets, fax machines and Excel and accuracy/oversight with no technological backup.

Your company needs motivated salesmen driving revenue and customer acquisition. It needs a system of reward for its management that relies on their ability to bring in new clients and grow the stores revenues. It needs marketing. It needs excitement around its menu choices. At the moment, your business resembles the practices and model of Museum. People will come because they've always came. Change nothing. Portillos is a restaurant and as much as management/ownership's arrogance tries to convince itself that different rules apply they don't. Restaurant's market. They have strategies to acquire new clients. They develop buzz around restaurant menues and promotions. They promote results driven employees as opposed to sticking family members in slots they don't belong.

Friendly Fast pace like family

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Streamwood, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Streamwood, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fast pace invierment worked as a unit

Cons

wasn't prasied when needed when doing a good job

your employes are your brad treat them well

Working for Dick, what more can one say.

Current Employee - Guest Services  in  Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Guest Services in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Great fellow employees. I expect to remain friends with many of them long after I leave.

Fast paced, rarely boring.

Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Conflicting policy from different managers.

Work outside in Summer and Winter.

Some managers are outright hostile.

Stop treating employees like slaves, be more open to feedback.

Worked for Portillo's Restaurant Group? Contribute to the Community!