Portland Community College

Add Photos

Preston Pulliams

Excellent place to work.

Math Instructor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsPay is great. PERS is great.

ConsNone. I cannot think of one.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not play favoritism.

Sometimes great, sometimes grating...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsPeers and students make the job worth doing.

ConsPay is low, and good luck landing full time employment.

Lots of Changes Makes the Future Unclear

Instructor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsMany positions are flexible allowing for work-life balance and opportunities to take courses for professional development; students are incredible to work with

ConsLots of upper level and executive management changes in personnel and as such the direction and future of the institution seems unclear

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent. Communicate. Don't lose sight of the organization mission. Students aren't consumers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great employer

Student Help Desk (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsYou get to work with great people, they are very flexible with your school schedule, gives students to opportunity to get some work experience while completing college courses

ConsSince this was a student internship the pay was minimum wage

Portland Community College - Cascade Campus

Administrative Assistant & Receptionist (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSupportive, engaging, multicultural environment. Urban setting very close to city. Great people who are there for the love of learning. Champions of the underdog! Tuition reimbursement.

ConsNo cons that I can think of!

Better for students than for teachers

Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat diverse student body, who really want to be in school to learn subjects not just learn to party. Many dedicated teachers. Classes are geared toward real-world experience. Employees can take classes for free. A real bonus, and why I know how dedicated some faculty are.

ConsPart -time faculty are not given any respect. We were to be seen but not heard. And sometimes even treated as threats by full time faculty. The department I worked for did not communicate well. Things were said to the larger campus community that simply were not true in order to work an agenda. Some of the full time faculty seemed uninformed about their own subject. I heard many complaints from students about a full-time instructor for that reason.

Like someone else said, the part-timers have more real world experience, yet don't have a chance at being hired full time or given assignment rights for two years service.

That said, I know that not all the departments are that dysfunctional.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a lot more attention to what is actually going on in the classroom, and listen to your part-time faculty when it comes to 'how things get done.'

Pay cuts and no communication

Office Support (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIf you can be classified as a regular employee, you will receive free tuition for a limited number of credits per term.

ConsThe main goal is to keep many of the employees at the lowest salary possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep valuable employees with typical workplace incentives like fair pay, raises, and opportunities for advancement

A very good place to work

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsPeople are super friendly and caring. No stress at work

ConsI don't think there is any cons.

Priceless experience!

Calculus Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLearn a lot about yourself, regardless of career path

ConsOdd hours, conflicts with class schedule on occasion

Former Faculty

Faculty (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat Campus', students eager to learn.

ConsAdministration could care less about the part-time faculty (which is most of the faculty). Those in my department who are/were full-time treated the part-time people like crap, like 2nd class, unworthy. First, there are NO full-time openings so if you want to teach in Higher Ed you have to settle with part-time (adjunct). Second: most of us have 'real-world' experience where as most of the 'tenured' people are ancient and probably don't even qualify for their own jobs anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your part-time faculty much better with better support than what's going on now. Your never ending excuse of "Budget' woes don't cut it much when the President, Deans and Full-timers are driving around in new BMW's and Mercedez...... AND...... there's been record enrollment numbers each consecutive term over the past three years.

Worked for Portland Community College? Contribute to the Community!