Portland State University

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014

Portland State University President Wim Wiewel
Wim Wiewel

Pros
  • Centrally located with access to public transportation (in 3 reviews)

• Great location, up and coming university (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees hired and fired within only several months because upper management decided to change its mind (in 3 reviews)

• Budget cuts can be brutal on the work place (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

High functioning, good-natured team work.

Current Employee - Administrative Staff  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Portland, OR

Pros

Smart dedicated people, many of whom have worked here a long time and are evidence of career growth opportunities here. Time off to balance heavier work weeks, great work-life balance.

Cons

Have not experience any negatives yet.

Good hours, great educators.

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Portland, OR

Pros

Wonderful and accepting environment where individuality and a unique perspective were prized. I should specify that I was a federal work study employee.

Cons

Due to the nature of my work as an office assistant for the department of English through the work study program there were no benefits (expected, but frustrating), time off was granted as requested (I believe I requested once I believe), and there was no room for growth.

So much potential, but very poorly managed.

Pros

Dynamic environment where you can really make a difference in the lives of students.

Cons

Management was completely out of touch and unable to guide or give feedback. Dept is known for unjustified layoffs so staff keep their heads down and their mouths shut. Innovation is not welcome.

Redundancies and lack of communication between departments are well known. Making students suffer the gauntlet of Student Accounts, ID Services, Financial Aid, Registration is just ridiculously poorly managed when it could be collaborative. This is known. PSU has a horrible reputation in this arena.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really amazing place to learn pretty much anything you wanted to know about IT - there's no other environment like it.

Current Employee - Operating Systems Network Analyst II  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Operating Systems Network Analyst II in Portland, OR

Pros

Extremely dynamic environment, my team has awesome management and listens to my input. We complete dozens of really big projects a year on time and everyone loves us :).

Cons

Pay I would say is honestly the biggest problem here. Its roughly 50% less than industry standard for what I do, and there's very little framework in place to get that bumped up. They rather let you go to another employer in fact than bump your pay - which I think is foolish as it will probably cost them more in the short term to hire another person than to just fix their pay scales.

Especially OIT (aka - central IT) - take compensation seriously. I think its costing you more than you think. I read that one of the reasons Vim gets paid so much is because that's the competitive wage you pay college presidents. They understand this in management, but for the people who do the actual work - it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Slow paced

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

There are a number of highly motivated students at the school and working with them can be incredibly satisfying. Coworkers were incredibly friendly and welcoming. The work-life balance was great. I worked a 40 hour week. Period. I was never stressed and didn't work weekends or nights.

Cons

The work itself was interesting, but honestly not enough. The pace of PSU was incredibly slow; I would be assigned work to last the week that I would wrap up in under a day or months-long projects that I could tackle in a week. This is not to toot my own horn, it was just that the staff had no sense of urgency and there was a general lack of drive.

Audit departments to find out what work is actually being accomplished; challenge staff to push themselves, think outside the box, and accomplish more each year/quarter, etc.

PSU SUCKS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

It was easy to transition here from being a student. I have spent nearly ten years at PSU in a student and staff environment. The tuition discount is 70%, and it is a very good discount, but hard to make use of.

Cons

The pay sucks. The days off suck. There are no flexible part-time graduate degrees. The parking situation also sucks. I work OT every day and every week but I am not allowed to cash it in. I also cannot take days off even though in a year I have accrued over a month off in OT. There are no promotions.

Pay us more. We are worth it.

High Hopes - Deep Disappointment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Working on this beautiful, dynamic, downtown campus is the only good thing about working here.

Cons

Communication is terrible. There are so many closed door meetings and nothing ever comes out of them. There is no advantage to being a University employee when you are looking for opportunities on campus, you have to apply for the position just like anyone from outside of campus, so why apply here?

President Wiewel is supposed to address the public at Town Hall Meetings, all University Presidents do this and yes, there are the hard questions. Wiewel does not even answer the questions, he gets his VP Minions to do it for him.

work environment does not reward results

Former Employee - Chief Fiscal Officer  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Chief Fiscal Officer in Portland, OR

Pros

This is the largest university in the state of Oregon.

Cons

Sr leadership is focused on the short-term and not the long-term health of the organization

Need new and technically competent sr managers.

Nice campus, pretty bureaucratic.

Current Employee - Learning Assistant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Learning Assistant in Portland, OR

Pros

Fun times, good people, great atmosphere.

Cons

Bad times, terrible people, crippling atmosphere.

More fun times.

Very Poor Upper management in PSU Accounting office.

Former Employee - IT Support In Accounting  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - IT Support In Accounting in Portland, OR

Pros

The non-management employees are mostly nice.

Cons

Director level Managers are toxic. No level of trust. Poor communications skills. They assume rather than ask employees for any explanations with regard to ANYTHING. Pretty arrogant. Current IT accounting employees are worried about new people coming in and being better employees. There is no IT support team in accounting. Just people trying to keep their fiefdoms in tact.

Don't listen to one toxic environmental nut to base assumptions. Transfer ALL IT employees to the main OIT of University because they need to be managed.

Worked for Portland State University? Contribute to the Community!