Portland State University

Updated December 12, 2014
3.2

Portland State University President Wim Wiewel
Wim Wiewel

Pros
  • I was satisfied with the work-life balance in the lab I worked in (in 4 reviews)

• Benefits are great - employees pay just 5%, can hardly beat the retirement contribution (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • State university dealing with budget cuts (in 3 reviews)

• Employees hired and fired within only several months because upper management decided to change its mind (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Be !

I have been working at Portland State University

Pros

The environment is very Friendly. The experience is Rewarding and Good for students. At the same time learning, students can experience oncampus jobs.

Cons

Downtown Location, a bit crowded
    Spread campus. The opportunities are not well published on website.

great job.

Former Employee - Integrated Digital Support Center Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Integrated Digital Support Center Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

it was relatively easy and I gained a lot of information there. I loved the free lynda training available to all the workers.

Cons

You can't work full time there, you are limited to 27 hours a week. It is also hard to deal with faculty members that work there.

none

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Values and work life balance.

Cons

There was a lack of advancement.

More career development.

Great organization To Work For, Horrible HR Department, even worse Administration!

Former Employee - Classified Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Classified Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great departments that are dedicated to serving the true and real needs of students, parents, international students, faculty, administrators, and the greater Portland , Oregon, and regional community. Outstanding classified employees that keep the University top notch in every way, and running in every important way, even though they are very under paid, but top notch people. Excellent departmental management, especially in one of the most important departments, Financial Services, formerly known as the Bursar's Office.

Cons

The HR department that is almost off campus and in another world, is staffed by bureaucrats, so called managers, and staff who have no earthly idea what goes on at the university, what happens everyday with classified employees, and does what it can to get rid of valuable employees who might have health issues and who could easily do their jobs just as well from home, something the state of Oregon and the Oregon University Systems, the agency that governs all state of Oregon universities, encourages strongly, but doesn't get carried out by PSU HR due to incompetence. Many excellent employees in all departments have been laid off and terminated because HR is so far removed from what the university actually does everyday and have no idea what they are doing and how their actions affect the students, parents, and departments as a whole. To many people in HR there only for the money, something they wont pay in a fair way to classified employees. For reference consider the HR scandal with the University Hotel and how management botched and took advantage of immigrant and diverse employees at the university owned hotel.

Get more involved with individual departments in the University, end the silo's & fifedoms that exist, and listen more to students, parents, and especially classified employees more. They know what is "Really" going on and have the real pulse of the university in the palm of their hands. Quit listening to, spending money on and hiring overpaid consultants who do very little and know very little of what is going on at "Ground Zero" of Portland State University and its Urban setting which is one of the best in the nation.

Happy to have a job - people make this place great!

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great - employees pay just 5%, can hardly beat the retirement contribution. Great people to work with all across the university. Are committed to the values/vision of the university.

Cons

Actual pay is on the lower side - will say to look at your total comp package. Little to no training provided. Do too much with too little resources. Always out of money and facing layoffs - every year it seems like. Inequities across areas.

Bureaucracy Swamp of Tears and Resentment

Former Employee - Administrator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administrator in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As individuals, the people are great excepting some of the tenured faculty and more draconian Finance staff. The campus is lovely, transit access and proximity to food carts are great; basically everything other than asking the institution to actually function is great.

Cons

The stodgy, hostile, money-grubbing politics that plays out between departments, and between the administrative and academic sides, weigh this institution way down. I hated working here because great people with great projects had no power to help each other.

Flexible and educational

I worked at Portland State University part-time

Pros

Wonderful environment for learning and growing academically and intellectually. I enjoyed the work I did both as a graduate assistant and in the Portland Center for Public Humanities.

Cons

Like most large universities, it often takes quite a long time to see changes and there is always a lot of paperwork and hoops to jump through for different departments.

High functioning, good-natured team work.

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart dedicated people, many of whom have worked here a long time and are evidence of career growth opportunities here. Time off to balance heavier work weeks, great work-life balance.

Cons

Have not experience any negatives yet.

Good hours, great educators.

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful and accepting environment where individuality and a unique perspective were prized. I should specify that I was a federal work study employee.

Cons

Due to the nature of my work as an office assistant for the department of English through the work study program there were no benefits (expected, but frustrating), time off was granted as requested (I believe I requested once I believe), and there was no room for growth.

So much potential, but very poorly managed.

I worked at Portland State University full-time

Pros

Dynamic environment where you can really make a difference in the lives of students.

Cons

Management was completely out of touch and unable to guide or give feedback. Dept is known for unjustified layoffs so staff keep their heads down and their mouths shut. Innovation is not welcome.

Redundancies and lack of communication between departments are well known. Making students suffer the gauntlet of Student Accounts, ID Services, Financial Aid, Registration is just ridiculously poorly managed when it could be collaborative. This is known. PSU has a horrible reputation in this arena.

Portland State University Photos