Portrait Innovations Reviews

Updated March 17, 2015
208 reviews filtered by
1.9
John Grosso

Pros
  • Working with kids can be fun, some creativity, social people will enjoy the actual work (in 6 reviews)

• I love working with children and I have over 20 years experience in photography (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • there is zero work/life balance mostly around the holiday season (in 18 reviews)

• Even though I did not enjoy the job, I still worked hard to keep my sales average high (in 15 reviews)

Could Have Been A Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Photographer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Photographer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I got to utilize my artistic skills.
    Had a lot of fun with my coworkers playing with the kids and taking the photos
    Relationships made with other employees were very tight, and we were always there for each other.
    Shooting photography was genuinely very fun, when we weren't understaffed or swamped with customers.

Cons

Corporate company and policies abuse the employees mercilessly, giving us little to no rights.
    During busy seasons, I would work 15 hour shifts, but be given one 30 minute break the whole day.
    Company consistently understaffed our team, because corporate didn't want to pay more workers for the job.
    This made it virtually impossible to meet our goals, as we were too few to keep the studio running smoothly.
    Whoever had the lowest sales within our group would get fired once every few months.
    Very unprofessional company.

Rewrite your regulations, because your rules are very unfair to your employees, and make it near impossible for them to succeed, earn better pay, or achieve bonuses.

2. Intense schedule, fun atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were fun and having the same intense schedule allowed each other to understand the stressful times during the day and help each other out when needed.

Cons

Nights and weekends during the holidays can be chaotic but that was the nature of the job. Difficult to ask for days off during Holidays to spend with your family.

Better communication with employees that really want to have a future in the company and keep their averages up. Practicing during down time would be constructive to help fine tune emloyees timing especially during the holidays.

3. Pay vs Requirements

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Ridgeland, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Ridgeland, MS

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is well. You'll get paid $11 starting off; after 3 months you'll get $12 an hour. You'll get paid vacation days after establishing 3 months of work there.

Cons

You're required to wear business attire while crouching down to take pictures of new born babies, chasing children around, and arranging families in certain poses. There is a strict guide to abide by when taking family portraits. Definitely not the place for freelance photographers. For people of multicultural backgrounds, you cannot wear braids, twists, or dreadlocks. Also, you cannot have any visible tattoos, facial piercings, or cartilage piercings. There is a sales goal you must meet on a weekly basis. If you don't have a high sales average each week, that will determine if you'll keep your job or not. You will not get a warning. The company will make you work 13- 15 hrs during the Thanksgiving/ Christmas holidays, then drop you without a warning. Instead of getting a courtesy call, they'll have you clock in then work all day, just to pull you to the side to tell you it is your last day. Not a place for to work for people who have children or actual bills to pay. Every customer does't want to spend $100 or more on items. Your job shouldn't have to depend on what the customer has in their wallet to spend, but unfortunately at this job it does.

There is no stability. Clearly dropping and hiring new people every other week is not helping sales goals. If you kept the employees long enough to establish a relationship, then customers would like the familiarity, and want to continue to come get pictures taken their. Everyday people who get pictures every month or so, don't want a different photographer around their friends and family. They want that same, familiar face they can depend on for quality pictures, year round!

5. If you value your freedom...

Current Employee - Studio Manager
    Current Employee - Studio Manager

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The lasting friendships with coworkers. The few and far between appreciative customers.

Cons

Long hours, high staff turn over, short staffing, long lunches to cut labor, being yelled at, stressful, takes over your life. No weekends off.

Actually value your staff. Start shift work. Stop over working your staff to the bone. Christmas hours are not health for your staff. Stop spacing appointments so close together and double booking without proper staffing.

If you have a choice- DON'T do it. It's regret gurenteed.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time (more than a year)

Pros

There were some pros, don't get me wrong but there weren't many. The co-workers become your family- especially during the christmas season. The pay wasn't horrible either.

Cons

Where do I even begin? I suppose I'll make a list just to make it simpler.

-You are over worked, but god forbid Johnny Grosso pay you extra for it. So how do they get away with it? Working off the clock of course!
    -But don't get caught working off the clock, because then they'll fire you.
    - You don't get two weeks. You say "here's my two weeks", and you are out the door IMMEDIATELY.
    -Christmas season is literally what I imagine hell is like.
    -It's hell because they book upto 100 appts a day, thats double booked every hour and every ten minutes. Sometimes double booking every half hour as well.
    -Online booking is a freaking joke. Its horrendous. You walk out of the studio with 16 appointments and walk in with 62. And no, that isn't exaggeration. Especially during christmas.
    -You get one thirty minute break. This is not only super illegal, but all around sucks in general because I worked a 14 hour shift one day and my "lunch" was at 10:30 AM.
    -They just started offering full time people benefits, but they still made sure it was the cheapest suckiest insurance available.
    -They like to promise people raises and then never give them said raise.
    -One time instead of every person getting a christmas bonus, the managers got a trip to the bahamas. While we all got to sit around and do even more work.
    -Schedule? HA! What's a schedule? You're told when to come in tomorrow, the day before. So god forbid you have a life, or a family, or children, or even a goldfish- because you won't ever be home to even make sure the fish stays alive. Especially during christmas season. Between Nov 1 and Dec 23 I saw my parents one time. And I live in their home still.
    -The customers. The customers- 99% of them are horrendous. They will yell at you and treat you not only like a babysitter but like your satan himself because they just want the $19.99 APC and nothing more and don't care that your job depends on it.
    -There is no artistic freedom in this job. You stick to a rash of poses that look super bad that were put together by upper management. You study the book and ingrain it into your head. You get to a point where you could pose in your sleep.
    -Twice a year or so your average is evaluated and if it isn't good enough to keep a greedy CEO sitting on a chair made out of gold bars and 100 dollar bills then you're OUT. And nobody is going to loose sleep over it.
    -They also don't give two craps if you're sick. You better have a doctors note, but even that isn't good enough. If you're sick between the months of November and January. You better have lost a limb, an eye, and an organ, because if not then you're considered healthy enough to work.
    -Even upper management sucks, eventually instead of firing a person who always called out, our DM just stopped sending people to assist us.

All in all this is probably the absolute shottiest company to work for. But hey- if you want to work for a company who could care less about you then go for it.

I mean ultimately shutting down the company would be the best option because you guys really have dug yourselves into such a hole there isn't any going back. However I know Johnny enjoys brushing his teeth with his employees tears to much so, maybe you could try giving a crap about people who work so damn hard for you.

7. This job could be soo much better...

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Papillion, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Papillion, NE

I have been working at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Your team is like your family

Cons

Customers aint easy to please, if you're good they'll over-work you, company ask for big sales and achieve company goal while they lack in marketing strategies and offer people 10$ deals

You are aware of the insane employee turnover, it'll probably help if they were more pro employee and fix their marketing strategies.

I knew what I was getting into 3 years ago

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Avon, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Avon, OH

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like working here because of my co workers. If it wasn't for them I would have quit after my first Christmas season.

I do like the fact that when I was hired I was given the chance to travel to Charlotte to train with other associates at our corporate location. While there, the trainers were honest about their low raitings but pretty much told us the money was worth it. So they were honest.

I do also love that I have been given management training and opportunities.

Cons

There are a lot of things I hate about this job.

Yes the pay is good, but not as good as the promised. When I started I was promised bonuses. Because my average was $0.14 less than the goal, I got nothing. Also the was they so their raises now is messed up. Being an MOD, I am responsible for the studio when the manager isn't here and other responsibilities. I have to work harder than the regular associates. One associate here is lazy and sits on her butt and yells at our manager all the time yet because she has one of the highest averages in the company she makes more money than me and does less work.

Also the one thing this place doesn't do is prepare you for the evil customers that come in. I have seen so many bad reviews on us by customers. But most of those customers are nightmares. They don't realize they are ruining our days too!!! I once had a woman make me cry because she was yelling at me telling me I should quit my job that my pictures were a joke. I think we should be able to review terrible customers.

Their kids are just as bad too. I've been spit on, smacked, scratched and groped by kids who's parents do nothing about it.

Physically I feel like I've aged 15 years here. My body hurts a lot because of the long hours standing, sitting, crouching and crawling. My knees and baxk are a mess because of this place.

Its really stressful too because of the fat cats at corporate demanding you make the m more money. That's all they care about here. I'd you don't make them enough, you're fired! And you always have a manager and regional manager yelling at you.

The list of complaints is endless...

Re evaluate your sales tactics, pricing and how you treat your associates. Money means nothing if you can't be happy and enjoy it.

9. Not bad but not that great

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I have been working at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Awesome manager and co-workers. Decent pay.

Cons

Ghost calls from company and must keep a certain average even though the company spams the 19.99 promotion.

Make the promotion add on only.

10. Awful place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Granger, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Granger, IN

I have been working at Portrait Innovations

Pros

The customers and coworkers you develop a relationship with are great. Pay is decent too.

Cons

Where do I begin? I started in the middle of a Christmas season. I never even fully got trained, I just got thrown into the mix of things. We had 7 photographers, 4 computers, and 9 appointments per hour. Customers got extremely angry when their appointments were up to two hours behind schedule due to overbooking, and I don't blame them one bit. We worked 14-15 hour days on weekends and had to cut hours throughout the week so we didn't even get overtime for it. We didn't get lunch breaks my first weekend there. After Christmas they fired the three people with the lowest sales averages, which left us understaffed. Someone broke into the studio and stole a bunch of money and our manager got fired for it. Things really went downhill after that. We went from 7 employees to 2 in a matter of a few weeks. We had different managers in and out. All through this I managed to maintain a very high sales average to be on the regional top sales list r or six consecutive weeks. We got treated like crap, I'm guessing they thought one of us stole the money. It snowed really bad one day and I had to call off because I literally couldn't go anywhere (my car just spun on the ice). They told me to try again in an hour. No concern whatsoever about employee safety. Then they lied to try to make me feel bad and they told me someone wad coming in from 2 hours out since I couldn't be there. I was then told I had to come in the following day even though it had been my scheduled day off for several weeks. When I couldn't find a babysitter for it, my hours were cut the next week because they were mad. I guess it's my "punishment" for not being able to make it either day. This company treats their employees like dirt.

Treat your employees like you would want to be treated.

11. Some good, some bad.

I have been working at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Decent pay and love my co-workers. It is really a nice community but this varies of course from studio to studio.

Cons

If you don't hold a certain average you can face termination.

Make the $19.99 package only apply if the customer buys something else.

Portrait Innovations Photos