Portrait Innovations

Updated April 26, 2015
219 reviews filtered by
1.9
John Grosso

Pros
  • Working with kids can be fun, some creativity, social people will enjoy the actual work (in 6 reviews)

• I love working with children and I have over 20 years experience in photography (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • there is zero work/life balance mostly around the holiday season (in 18 reviews)

• Even though I did not enjoy the job, I still worked hard to keep my sales average high (in 15 reviews)

1. Bad Management

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Lots of hours during holiday season

Cons

Unorganized, No commission, Bad scheduling, and bad equipment

Advice to Management

Organization

2. Studio Associate

Former Employee - FLORIDA in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - FLORIDA in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a plethora of useful information about photography.

Cons

Working extremely long hours during holidays

Studio Sales Associate

Current Employee - Photographer/Studio Sales Associate in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Photographer/Studio Sales Associate in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a pretty decent job with good pay where you can grow your photography and sales skills. Your coworkers are your family and we look out for each other.

Cons

Zero benefits, no commission or incentive to do well. Corporate hovers over everything and you are REQUIRED to keep a good sales average, or you WILL be fired.
    They are always running one pose specials that are extremely misleading, and corporate will throw you under the bus anytime there's a complaint.
    They double and triple book every 10 minutes, we are required to take everyone in, even if they're late, which causes us to fall behind and get crappy sales. We are almost always short staffed, and they work you to the bone.

Advice to Management

STOP the one pose specials. You are the McDonald's of portrait studios. Stop being only about the money and start investing in your employees more.
    This place would have 5 stars if you stopped dangling our average over our head and threaten to fire people who have been there 4 years because they had a bad month.

5. Ehhh

Current Employee - Studio Associate in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Studio Associate in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Portrait Innovations part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, Basic Studio Photography Skills, Working with children

Cons

No balance between work and life during blackout, constant advertisement of $20 apc makes it extremely hard for us to keep our average high

Advice to Management

I would recommend to help employees practice their skills while not busy. Maybe advertise the other aspects of what we sell (calendars, keepsakes) and change around the set program we use.

great co-workers.. shady practices

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Great co workers, excellent pay.

Cons

Crazy hours. Manager always took best appointments to keep average high for bonus.

Advice to Management

Learn to aggregate the target your employees have. It shouldn't be all about the numbers.

Could Have Been A Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Photographer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager/Photographer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to utilize my artistic skills.
    Had a lot of fun with my coworkers playing with the kids and taking the photos
    Relationships made with other employees were very tight, and we were always there for each other.
    Shooting photography was genuinely very fun, when we weren't understaffed or swamped with customers.

Cons

Corporate company and policies abuse the employees mercilessly, giving us little to no rights.
    During busy seasons, I would work 15 hour shifts, but be given one 30 minute break the whole day.
    Company consistently understaffed our team, because corporate didn't want to pay more workers for the job.
    This made it virtually impossible to meet our goals, as we were too few to keep the studio running smoothly.
    Whoever had the lowest sales within our group would get fired once every few months.
    Very unprofessional company.

Advice to Management

Rewrite your regulations, because your rules are very unfair to your employees, and make it near impossible for them to succeed, earn better pay, or achieve bonuses.

Was a good company... in 2007-2008.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snellville, GA

I worked at Portrait Innovations (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was good for the skill level required, but see cons below. Co-workers at the studio level are generally awesome.

Cons

Good pay, but they owned you during their ever-expanding blackout periods. I was forced to take 2 hr breaks sometimes to make up for "waterfall booking" beyond normal hours and not wanting to get overtime for fear of being reprimanded (threat of termination). This lead to well over 200 hrs of off the clock working because working for free is better than having to deal with a district manager's verbal abuse. I never expected to be cursed at by upper management in any organization. Budgets have been arbitrarily adjusted when a studio was doing too well for the company to afford offered incentives. Over-booking, over-booking, over-booking... Every 10 mins and double booked every 20 sometimes! Stress level is off the scale during the holidays. I could keep going but my fingers are getting tired. Work at your own risk, keeping looking for a better company while you do.

Advice to Management

Put papa Grosso back in charge, go back to the times when upper management cared about your employees. They will make you even more money and be happy. If you care about your customers, don't book so many appointments that it's logistically impossible to not have an hour or more delay. Don't act like you don't trust your employees, distrust fosters resentment. After 6 years I watched a company that was fun to work at with management who cared about their associates, turn to one that worked us to the point of sickness, ruled with fear rather than raise morale, and cared only about numbers. I trying to ESCAPE for two years before I finally was relieved from a job that made me irritable and feel hopeless.

9. Intense schedule, fun atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were fun and having the same intense schedule allowed each other to understand the stressful times during the day and help each other out when needed.

Cons

Nights and weekends during the holidays can be chaotic but that was the nature of the job. Difficult to ask for days off during Holidays to spend with your family.

Advice to Management

Better communication with employees that really want to have a future in the company and keep their averages up. Practicing during down time would be constructive to help fine tune emloyees timing especially during the holidays.

call center

Former Employee - Call Center in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Call Center in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Meet other nice. employees. It was fun.

Cons

Management only allowed family members to work before anyone else. Staff a huge joke. No since of respect.

Advice to Management

Stop cussing customers. I'd fired the whole staff and start fresh out when they're placed on hold. Favoritism shown to her family members.

11. corporate machine.

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time

Pros

Working with the kids and photography

Cons

Everything is about the money

Portrait Innovations Photos