Portrait Innovations Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
John Grosso

Pros
  • Perfect if you like working with children (in 6 reviews)

• Your co-workers are usually fun to work with, depending on each studio's crew and pay isn't bad (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • You can't enjoy the holiday season with your family (in 18 reviews)

• You are required to maintain a certain sales average ( (in 15 reviews)

1. M.O.D. Photographer

Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Waco, TX

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

The Children and Families that have personalities. Learning about people and how they work. Most of the people you work with are a delight, the ones that don't get their feelings hurt over every honest thing you say. This is a developing company, there is always room for improvement, advancement and pats on the back. You will be able to be yourself here, you will feel at home. I always said we were like clowns, you put your goofy face on, have fun, make memories with all types of different people and enjoy every second of it. The sad thing is if you work here and are wanting to leave you almost feel stuck. Because you are never going to enjoy a job as much and make good money at the same time like you do here.

Cons

If you have a family that you want to see, I don't recommend working here. This job gives you no life. If you are scheduled at specific times, they will almost always change.This is Retail, you work according to appointments booked and the time of the year. Management is always in and out, if you cant handle Christmas season without having control over your personal average than you will most likely be fired after all your hard work, sweat and sacrifices.

Advice to Management

Make sure you pay attention to the little details, motivate your team even if they don't know how to motivate you. Don't procrastinate, don't be lazy, and teach your associates everything they need to know. It makes everything smoother. You have a lot on your shoulders, breath... you are doing a good job. :)

2. Not a career

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

getting to work with cute kids, learn about posing and photography

Cons

unprofessional environment, long hours, sales averages, upper management, expect to work off the clock

3. Assistant Manager

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time

Pros

Pay is decent. Schedule can be flexible during slower months.

Cons

Upper management is harsh. Use scare tactics to motivate employees. Working with small children can be stressful. Durning busy months the work hours are long with no break.

Studio sales

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent and you get to meet new people. The company even teaches you how to operate the camera.

Cons

Lunch breaks are sometimes skipped or even cut short. You are hired under false pretenses. You're told that you are hired as a FT permanent employee when in all reality they're using you to cover their busy season. At the end of that season they only keep the people who have hundreds of dollars in sales after each daily session. They lure the customer in under the $19.99 special in hopes that on of their sales people talked the customer into a $300 package.

Advice to Management

Be upfront with your employees and let them know that you are more interested in sales than actual customer service,

6. Okay company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The studio is like a tight-knit little family, always growing and learning together.

Cons

Raises are seldom and small, never acknowledged as an individual - only criticized as a whole.

Advice to Management

Recognize individual performance a little better, focus on individual studios needs and

7. Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Portrait Innovations (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growth potential, great wages, fair bonuses, management opportunities, can move around in the company, health care, great company for young people without children

Cons

Long Hours, most weekends, work family balance is difficult, not good if you do not enjoy working with children, high turnover rates in employees,

Advice to Management

Dental care options would be nice. 401k matching would be nice and would result in more tenured associates,

8. Photographer

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money over the holiday seasons, a field that I am interested in, and experience in Sales.

Cons

Long hours, high expectations of sales goals, sales a higher priority than images themselves.

9. Poorly operated company.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job has the potential to be fun, but corporate ruins that with unrealistic turnaround times for appointments.

Cons

Management is selfish. Regional managers and higher ups lock themselves in their offices during Christmas and high volume periods and basically just wish you good luck. If you're understaffed, be prepared to work long hours without breaks and without help from other locations, unless you don't have a manager. Even then I wouldn't hold your breath. You're expected to uphold a certain average throughout the year and these numbers must be met or else you're put on notice. Pay is decent, but expect to work 40-80 hours a week during holidays, easter and Christmas to be specific.

I left because there is no appreciation for talent or hard work.

Former Employee - Manager On Duty/Photographer in Medina, OH
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty/Photographer in Medina, OH

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a love of photography, DO NOT work here! They will insist that you take the same 20-30 photos every single session. If you have a natural eye for photography, this is NOT the place to take it. They will issue write-ups if you don't follow their cookie cutter photography exactly. They expect you to photograph every session, from a newborn with a screaming 2 y/o brother.... to a group of 30 people ALL in 10 minutes. They don't care about quality.... it's all about quantity. And if your sales average falls below a certain amount.... you are in danger of losing your job (even though you don't get to pick your customers, the company offers crazy cheap deals for $9.99, AND you don't get commission!)

Cons

After working for 2 years, moving up to the assistant manager position, my studio manager walked out.... and I was left to manage one of the highest volume stores in the region. With little support from my higher management team, little training and NO financial compensation for working non-stop hours.... and then being told I wasn't "eligible" for the company wide managers vacation or a raise in pay because I was being passed over for the job I had ALREADY been DOING for MONTHS! Portrait innovations is a place where only the suck-ups and heartless succeed. And DON'T have children or a family if you want to work there.... because you will never see them! You aren't allowed to take days offf during holiday seasons... including 4th of july, mothers day, easter.... pretty much any day they can try to sell more to their customers. They black out entire months of the year for vacation. There is no work/family balance and they don't care.

Advice to Management

Reward the people with talent and who have worked their fingers to the bone. Your incentive program is a joke.... and your photography "guidelines" are even worse. No two sessions ever have the same challenges or feeling, and you need to realize that.... and stop trying to force people into a cookie cutter sessions. And most of all, RESPECT your customers... and stop trying to rip them off with high pressure sales and crappy photography.

11. Ups and downs

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Portrait Innovations

Pros

I liked it for awhile but the sales demands are kind of ridiculous. I loved the customer relationships I built and I loved seeing regulars and watching them grow.

Cons

Your pushed to keep a $100 average but they offer $19.99 promos as a way to get customers in but a lot of people are broke and only plan to pay the promo so there is attitude given when you didn't push them up. I've seen some "seasoned" pushy sales people like they like just push the heck out of people to the point I saw a lady cry. I had to work full time hours on part time pay which I began to realize it just wasn't worth it to me. They don't really respect and value their employees and it begins to feel to cold.

Advice to Management

Start making the employees important, and have a smaller average or stop offering promos ever week. If your goal is to get people to pay $100 then cater and promote to those who can AFFORD it.

RSS Feed </> Embed