Portrait Innovations

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
1.9

John Grosso

Pros
  • Working with kids can be fun, some creativity, social people will enjoy the actual work (in 6 reviews)

• There was decent pay for your work, and many times it wasn't too busy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You only get a 30 minute lunch while working a 12 hour day and management will tell you there is no time for short breaks (in 8 reviews)

• You can't enjoy the holiday season with your family (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Part time weekend and holiday help

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer  in  Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Rockford, IL

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers, money, down time during non holiday

Cons

Bad work/life balance, holiday season

Mostly Good.

Former Employee - Photographer/Sales  in  Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Photographer/Sales in Newport News, VA

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is good. It's not a job where you'll have to be on your feet a lot...unless its Christmas season. Most of the people you'll work with will be great. The pay is weekly.

Cons

You have to really like kids. Crying, screaming, spoiled kids

It's OK.

Not a great fit for aspiring professional

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Carmel, IN

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for experience behind the lens
    Great mentorship with manager
    Fast paced environment

Cons

Overworking is seen as a value
    Expectations of clients seem distorted
    Long hours during the holidays

Remember that without a great product, there is no business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lifestyle

Former Employee - Associate/Photographer  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Associate/Photographer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hiring and recruiting process is by far the best that I've experienced with any job. They give you the opportunity to travel to Charlotte, North Carolina for a week of training; just a different experience. You get to meet John Grosso and the staff over dinner as well as meet new people from all around that will be at their own studio.

The pay is great during the holidays.

Fun atmosphere with children and parents.

You get to be creative during your sessions.

Cons

If the wrong person happens to become manager, this can cause problems if the proper training wasn't given.

You will work during the black out period; October - December. Depending on if you have a family, this can be a good or bad thing. Missed time with your children or more money if you don't have any. Weigh it out.

I recommend that all new management require to travel to North Carolina for training. This will ensure proper establishment management and a motivated staff. Everything else is fantastic.

Fun but stressful

Former Employee - Manager On Duty
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for more than a year

Pros

working with children and families, photography

Cons

salary, work environment, management, merit increases, broken promises

Take into consideration the opinions of the employees they are the ones on the front lines and know more about what the customers want and don't want. Show more appreciation for your employees because they work their butt off to make you money for a little compensation.

So-So...

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly staff, lots of locations

Cons

not much flexibility with schedules, not enough PTO/Vacation etc, No health insurance provided, mandated 6 day work weeks around holidays

Show more appreciation to your employees, give more creative freedom, give better benefits

Awesome coworkers, terrible company

Former Employee - Studio Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Studio Sales Associate

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, weekly paychecks, great coworkers, every Monday off because the studio is closed

Cons

No health insurance. They claimed back when I started working there in March that a company-provided plan would be in place by October with coverage to start in January. We still had not heard anything about it as of almost mid September. In place of that, they gave full timers an extra dollar per worked hour (meaning if they should give you a rare day of holiday pay, you don't get it, so unlike most jobs, holiday pay isn't even a perk because you end up with a smaller paycheck) after their first 3 months as "supplemental pay" to pay for their own insurance. For new full timers, it's not even $1 anymore, it's $0.70.

Also used to give each full timer 1 paid vacation day (8 hours) per month worked after the first 3 months. Now it is 6 months.

Blackout seasons are frequent aside from about 4 months during the summer. Blackout for Christmas starts on Halloween and lasts until January, for about a month around Easter and for a few weeks each for both Mother's Day and Father's Day. During blackout, you may not call out, use a vacation day, or request a certain day off (but that is pretty much all the time). During Christmas blackout, the studio can be open from 7AM until 9PM with 70 appointments, so you could be there from 6:30AM until 10:30PM or later with only one day off per week and literally busting butt the entire day. Christmas is also really the only time they allow overtime. If you have overtime during any other normal time of the year, even just a little, you're scolded by your regional manager. You're required to send in your schedule to them every night to show them what your weekly labor plan is to prove there will be no overtime.

Creativity is kind of limited, as they have a fairly strict protocol that you're supposed to follow for every shoot. If your subject matter is too whiny and won't cooperate for the full shoot that they push you to have every time, you have to try to get them to either do it by distracting them somehow, which can be exhausting, or reschedule the customer because you're not supposed to sell their photos to them unless you have a full shoot.

You are required to maintain a certain sales average ($120 at least as of now) at any given time, but there's no commission and the only incentive is if you don't, they can fire you. They run a special for one picture all the time that ranges in price from $10-$20 and many people will come in for only that. If you come in only wanting to spend that much, it's often pretty difficult to try to persuade someone to purchase a larger collection and as I'm sure you can imagine, a few $10 or $20 sales can destroy a good average and make it difficult to come back from.

They have also recently introduced online booking, which I'm almost positive they did just to make the employees' life even more difficult. Online booking doesn't consider previously booked appointments or the number of photographers working at any given time, so online booked appointments will often show up where it would be literally impossible to get them in without very long wait times. Corporate will not allow studios to block off certain times that would cause this mess, instead they just let it happen and expect the studio to call and reschedule these people who should have never been allowed to book there in the first place. Many people are also booking online and coming in not knowing what to expect as far as doing an entire shoot, 4 backgrounds, etc. and many people refuse at first until we tell them we always do the whole process.

You're never allowed to say "we are required to" or the like because you're never allowed to place any blame on the company.

Corporate also claims to have an open door policy about everything but that is a lie. You're often ignored via email or given the run around via phone.

A studio manager that had been with the company for many years recently quit via 3 page email sent to all the higher ups and studios in our region because of all the terrible practices and changes that have been made since the new CEO/COO has taken over.

This company needs to seriously consider the direction it is heading in and its employees instead of focusing on lining their pockets.

Underpaid Part Timer

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer  in  Valdosta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Valdosta, GA

I worked at Portrait Innovations part-time for less than a year

Pros

The office culture of this job was amazing. My employees became like family to me and I will only miss them. You get paid EVERY week which was neat.

Cons

Part timers are not cared about at all and aren't even given the measly hours they were promised, I just stopped working there and was at 9 hours a week!!! Who can feed their family on that?! No one & a company that "cares" would NEVER allow that in my opinion.

Honestly, you guys are the greediest and cheap company I have ever worked for. Instead of treating your employees like poo you should realize that we bust our butts for you all every single day. Appreciate your employees more, and I do mean ALL of them full time or part time! If you start to do that then maybe...just maybe you will have better moral around your company. You company ethics at this point SUCK.

A mismanaged trainwreck that left me miserable.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent, steady paychecks, lots of overtime in holiday seasons

Cons

There is no reasonable time-off, no calling off without issues, no set schedule. You're on call every day and during holiday seasons, you can expect to work up to 80 hours a week.

Learn how to talk to your employees like they're adults. Understand that not everyone is designed not to break under pressure.

Typical retail experience

Former Employee - Studio Associate  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Studio Associate in Wayne, PA

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool co workers
    Good overtime opportunity
    Pays well for what you do

Cons

Store managers don't have much say in how studio is run

Let your managers off the leash and trust them!

Worked for Portrait Innovations? Contribute to the Community!