Portrait Innovations

www.portraitinnovations.com

Portrait Innovations Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

John Grosso

Pros
  • Working with kids can be fun, some creativity, social people will enjoy the actual work(in 6 reviews)

• There was decent pay for your work, and many times it wasn't too busy(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • You only get a 30 minute lunch while working a 12 hour day and management will tell you there is no time for short breaks(in 8 reviews)

• You can't enjoy the holiday season with your family(in 14 reviews)

Underpaid Part Timer

Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Valdosta, GA

ProsThe office culture of this job was amazing. My employees became like family to me and I will only miss them. You get paid EVERY week which was neat.

ConsPart timers are not cared about at all and aren't even given the measly hours they were promised, I just stopped working there and was at 9 hours a week!!! Who can feed their family on that?! No one & a company that "cares" would NEVER allow that in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, you guys are the greediest and cheap company I have ever worked for. Instead of treating your employees like poo you should realize that we bust our butts for you all every single day. Appreciate your employees more, and I do mean ALL of them full time or part time! If you start to do that then maybe...just maybe you will have better moral around your company. You company ethics at this point SUCK.

Typical retail experience

Studio Associate (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsCool co workers
    Good overtime opportunity
    Pays well for what you do

ConsStore managers don't have much say in how studio is run

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your managers off the leash and trust them!

What YOU see is not what WE get

Studio Associate (Former Employee) Peoria, AZ

ProsFor the most part, the people are the best. You get to work with creative individuals and most of the people I worked with are still my friends to this day. Able to work with families and children and creative memorable experiences for them. Work with photography everyday.

ConsTraining is fast. They throw everything at you in two days and expect you to have it all learned and down by the end of the week. When people reach or exceed the sales goals, they tend to rub it in your face, since it is generally VERY difficult to hit those numbers. The heads of the company state that they want to know directly of any problems within the studios, yet when problems are presented to them, nothing gets taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that everyone can put on a good face when supervisors of higher-ups are around, but usually the complaints that come up against employees or managers ARE warranted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No benefits?!?

Studio Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsSlow during the off peak times. Basically getting paid to sit and stare at your phone all day.

ConsThey only create work schedules one week at a time. And your days off always varies. You might work every single weekend for months until you luck out getting a 4 day work week without using vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet health benefits. I know this is a young company as are it's employees. But some people have to support a family and don't want to depend on someone else to provide these benefits.

A mismanaged trainwreck that left me miserable.

Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA

ProsDecent, steady paychecks, lots of overtime in holiday seasons

ConsThere is no reasonable time-off, no calling off without issues, no set schedule. You're on call every day and during holiday seasons, you can expect to work up to 80 hours a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to talk to your employees like they're adults. Understand that not everyone is designed not to break under pressure.

Terrible service with horrible pricing and unprofessional working environment.

Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Merrillville, IN

ProsThe best reasons to work here are the families and their experiences. They help you get through the day and lift your spirits.

ConsCharging customers gargantuan prices for mediocre photographs shot by unprofessional, untrained, uneducated "photographers."

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know how to sell and also carry themselves with class instead of ignorance.

Great first job

Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Montgomery, AL

ProsThey have an awesome training process where they educate their photographers/ sales associates. Supreme editing software make it a breeze to take and sell pictures. They also provide a nice healthcare allowance. Paid weekly via direct debit which is a plus.

ConsSometimes there is too much competition between associates that it becomes cut- throat. It takes a negative effect on the team unity.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring training it is like spring break.... lots of young, single people all thrown together in the same hotel. I would suggest putting people at different hotels.
    It would help eliminate the drunken love fests.

STAY FAR AWAY

Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsI literally have no "pros" for this place. I hate it with a burning passion. I have been begged by my family and fiance to quit for months.

ConsEVERYTHING. This company and their management are jokes. Zero benefits, but good god if you miss work you better have a doctor's note. Durning Christmas (November-January) a full time employee will work 40-70 hours a week. You'll have 15+ hour shifts with one 30 minute break, with back to back appointments. They will pull you from your sale to start other appointments. They will book up to 110 appointments a day with a staff of ten people. Your manager will purposely take shoots that have good sales (seniors and large families or people with obvious money) just so they can take as little appointments as possible. You have to love children. Their parents will see you as a babysitter. FORGET EVERYTHING you know about photography because you HAVE to follow their cookie cutter protocol. Don't expect to use any of your shots in your portfolio either. My manager actually goes out of his way to hire "non-photographers." They do not pay you enough for the work you put in here. They will find a way to screw you out of raises and vacation time. Don't expect to ever see your friends and family, there's no time. I have yet to have a weekend off at this company and I had been there for a year. Your photography will be insulted on a weekly basis, by both customers and higher ups. You are required to maintain a $120 sakes average but they run specials for a special that runs from $9.99- $20. They expect you to upsell to your customers, which a lot of times is impossible for a single mom with four kids. The guilt will begin to eat at you. They tell their customers that we do not save any photos, when in fact they are on the computer. You will be asked to clean the printer, which is messy and toxic but don't expect to learn that in your interview. The studio is also not allowed to have a microwave which is just silly. I spent more money on lunch than gas at this place. The schedules are not set, your days off will rotate and change making it unable to plan anything outside of PI. There's a reason that this place has so many negative reviews. They do not care about associates at all, but will send their managers on "meetings" to the Bahamas. They only want cheap labor and they definitely do NOT care you get injured. STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat employees like people, not replaceable pawns. Buck up, stop spending ridiculous amounts of money on studio decorations and manager vacations and GET SOME BENEFITS.

Horrible Corporate Comapny

Sales Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsThe people in my particular studio were fun to work with but others were horrific.

ConsAfter Christmas they fire about half of the studio staff. This is solely based on sales numbers during the three month season. Corporate does not consider anything else and the managers have very little say, if any, in the outcome. Even if you are well above the sales goal they provided if you are not the top seller in the studio you are basically screwed come the end of Christmas.

Not so good Changes

Studio Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, great coworkers, not a whole lot more than that. Good pay kept you there.... everything else made you want to leave

ConsPoop rolls down hill.... lots and lots of it.. Constant changes in everything without a care as to how it affected other associates. All changes were to the benefit of top 5 corporate head guys. Sneaky underhanded demotions. Secretly closing down studios without telling anyone until its done, and rather than relocate the photographers at their pay rate they've been at, they say "sorry you'll be a new hire, back to starting wage". This company is shady shady shady and the knives in my back were many by the time i left.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making changes to your established rules to only better yourselves without consideration of other people.

Worked for Portrait Innovations? Contribute to the Community!