Ports America

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael F. Hassing

A good place to work and start your career

ProsIt is a good group of people to work with. The benefits and pay are better than most places. The job challenges you and keeps you on your toes. It is a fast paced work environment.

ConsAt times it can be difficult to complete a job within the production expectations with labor that goes on strike and frequently pushes back against management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an effective training program that will help new superintendents be effective at their job. The people hired should have knowledge of the maritime industry.

Come in with the right expectations

Superintendent (Current Employee)

ProsPromotions, gets you out of the "office" travel, and training. If you are good at your job the company will promote you. Relatively easy once you understand the basics of the buiness

ConsLong hours, hostile working environment at times. Lack of empathy from upper management. not a great lifestyle for much else other then work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people, invest in your systems

worst experience

Superintendent (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

Prosnothing good to say about company

Consthis company cares nothing about employees

Advice to Senior Managementthis company cares absolutely nothing about the people that actually do the work everyday

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPorts America pays pretty well. Bonuses can range up to around 12% of your annual pay. If you stick around, you'll get annual raises regardless of promotion.

ConsThe contract at my location was constantly in question, so job security was low. When we did finally lose the contract, I had to go interview at other Ports America Sites to save my job. Work/life balance was not the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to show a little more loyalty to their employees.

Lackluster

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsMedical benefits
    Pay is good
    Discounts on phones, cars and Microsoft Office

ConsWithin finance they started tiering individuals not on their skill level but where their pay grades fell. Very unprofessional public knowledge. Billing's Department Head has obvious favorites whom he promotes as often as possible. In fact, he went as far as to say that if there are any problems generally,we should keep them "in house" and not get HR involved. I can only imagine that was due to many complaints going to HR regarding the lack of adult behavior coming from leadership. Unfortunately the HR Manager just left the company after it was clear that all the complaints or problems couldn't resolve the issues if no one would back up her authority.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers not from within mediocre pools that have already stagnated, but challenging new people with higher standards and ambition. It's easy to feel that you cannot mirror someone's behavior because there are so few people worth resembling.

lack of leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsOpportunity to do your job they way you want to

ConsLack of leadership and accountability

Advice to Senior Managementstop being so lax

Service

ProsThere are great employees at Ports America, they make going to work enjoyable.

ConsManagement is clueless and does not take the time to learn about the business, all the work load are given to employees and they provide zero support. There are too many favoritism and the work hours are long. Management make their own schedule and leave as they please.

Great Future Opportunities

ProsThe company has a very robust and generous benefits package – 401K match, medical coverage, and sick time are all well above the national average, although I would prefer PTO rather than sick time. The company is very supportive of training and education. Company staff routinely conducts training in communication, leadership, lean six sigma, and other business topics. Advancement opportunities are limited in the short-term, but as the company’s expansion plans are put into place over the next 12-24 months, it should create numerous advancement opportunities for current employees. The staff in my location (Chandler) is dedicated to performing with excellence and exhibits great teamwork.

ConsThe company is going through the growing pains of migrating from many small independently operating entities to a single centrally driven enterprise. For those who have not work in a public company this change is dramatic and is proving difficult to adjust to. Therefore, there has been higher than average turnover as the employee mix adjusts to the change in culture. The company is also very risk-adverse and can be slow to take advantage of business opportunities.

Great place to work - Especially Chandler!

Accountant (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsI've been with the company for a few years and really enjoy it. The company has turned the corner and seems to have put the bad years behind it.

The current senior management team is leading the company to sustainable growth and I'm very optomistic about the company's future and my future with the company. The finance leadership is capable and competent (check their LinkedIn profiles).

Benefits are excellent - probably among the best of any employer in Arizona.

Work environment and work-life-balance are improving. I really like my co-workers and the local leadership. They treat me honestly and fairly.

Whenever I have a question about the company, the CAO or my department manager has been able to help me understand the matter.

Plenty of development and training opportunities. Chandler has an employee relations team that organize fun activities. This helps to make it a good place to work.

More than half of the open management postions in the past couple years, as far as I can tell, have been filled with internal employees.

My manager meets with me regularly to talk about my performance and how I can better contribute to the success of the accounting department.

Management takes employee needs and requests seriously - When I have a request, my boss listens to my suggestions and many times the comapny has implmeneted my ideas.

ConsClearly some of my co-workers have been unhappy with recent staff reductions in Chandler and elsewhere. No one likes layoffs or house-cleaning but they do occur occasionally.

The work-life balance can be challenging during certain times of the year, but this is more the accounting profession than Ports America since deadlines are a fact of life for accountants.

Although the company has invested in new technology, some of the IT systems are not as good as one would expect from a large company. To the company's credit, they are on steriods when it comes to upgrading and implementing new systems and this can take a toll on the work-life balance.

Many promotions requre relocation. Wish that there were more local management positions.

Sometimes it takes a long time to fill open positions - probably a fucntion of the job market as the local managers seem to be doing quite a few interviews.

There are small groups of employees in Chandler and other parts of the company that seem to like to complain. They can be immature and petty.

Advice to Senior ManagementPorts America is well run. Lots of good things happening. It's a great place to work. Management is one of the most ethical I've ever worked for.

So So place to work

Billing Analyst (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat benefits and possibilities to advance

ConsMicro-management, office gossip, and insufficient training structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micro-managing, more proper training, and putting a squash on gossip.

Worked for Ports America? Contribute to the Community!