Portugal Telecom

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Portugal Telecom CEO and Director Zeinal A. Mahomed Bava

Zeinal A. Mahomed Bava

To much outsourcing

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsYou learn enterprise size methodologies there. The company lunch area is reasonable although it could have more variety.

ConsThey don't have good work life balance and the outsourcing is terrible, seen people there that are outsourced by as much as four companies before being deploy in their work post, a victory for the middle men.

Advice to Senior Managementthe outsourcing is not really saving any money, offer those workers half of what you pay to the outsourcing companies and the "real" workers will be be very happy with the 50% raise and a stable job. I simply quit and moved on to a better work because these critical points would not be meet even if I was very good at my work.

Not a good place to unleash your full creativity.

User Experience Designer (Current Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsSafe job; Perks like health insurance, telecommunications products discounts, etc; Lots of people using the products you gonna help design and develop.

ConsLow wages; incompetent management; corporate environment; many internal divisions with the different commercial brands (SAPO, MEO, TMN), which hinders your work; lots of focus on charging the customer instead of creating great products; cultural division of employees by their rank and job skills;

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized; think ahead of time; don't always make last minute decisions; give more autonomy to your team members; stay focused instead of trying to create too many products; give real and honest feedback to the team; give importance to continuous assessment of workers job, not only at yearly evaluation.

Dont expect too much

ProsGodo to learn because it has a big portfolio

ConsCareer? Forget it. U will never be promoted

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not so good

Inbound Calls Operator (Current Employee) Santo Tirso (Portugal)

ProsMeet some friends
    Learn how to work on the fly

ConsSalary
    The atitude of some of the supervisors

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to review the company policies of the inbound calls.

A good place to gain experience and move on elsewhere

ProsIncluded in a very solid economic group. Competitive starting benefits package. Many departments where various types of skills are usefull.

ConsWork hours required are not consistent with career progression. Career progression is increadibly slow and the benefits for someone working there for more than 3 years are definitly not competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a career path with clear and objective goals where employees know how to progress. Have a long term vision for the company that doesn't change every 2 years.

Not good, can't wait to leave.

Pros"Steady Job" - If you want a job that allows you to live in a quiet place by the sea it may be a good choice
    Some of the work is engaging and interesting, but only in hardware or software development.

ConsLow Pay when compared to other similar companies
    Small Town company, not multi-cultural and centered around the main office
    Management promoted from within and not very open to new ideas
    Work-Life balance is an issue in software development, installation and support - other areas are ok

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Managers from outside the company, it need's fresh ideas.
    Fire people occasionally if they don't meet their goals.
    Be more open to fresh ideas.

exciting projects but too much politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIncreasing responsibilities and contact with new technologies

ConsWorkload is quite high and salary is low

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote internal employees rather than looking outside

High growth in responsibility, low growth in compensation

ProsDynamic company with very ambitious goals

ConsDoesn't invest in its people. Don't expect an big increase in salary as you progress within the company

Great chalenges but...

ProsOngoing Merger process with Brasilian Company Oi will bring many new chalenges

ConsBig company with ongoing hierarchy and operational costs reduction, thus with extremely difficult to progress in carreer.

Good

Project Delivery Manager (Current Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsGreat school for learning and good office culture

ConsPoor incentives and lack of oportunites

Worked for Portugal Telecom? Contribute to the Community!