Post Office

Post Office Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Post Office Chief Executive Paula Vennells

Paula Vennells

Varied job with training, paid travel and the best pay packet a teenager can hope for.

Cashier Assistant (Former Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsGood pay, good training, paid for my travelling time during training.
    Doesn't get too boring as your kept on your feet doing a variety of tasks for each customer.

ConsCompany had lost pension funds, there was a lot of strike action during my time there. I was fortunate to work in a government owned crown office. The private offices did not enjoy the same pay grade yet performed the same work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonour pension agreements I guess. I was 18 at the time so know too little about it to comment.

Best intentions lost in bureaucracy

ProsGood work life balance, everyone works hard at head office

ConsVery bureaucratic and process driven. Difficult to implement real change.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap all processes and redesign. Do this then you can afford to reduce headcount and reduce costs. Need to make the business far more slicker.

Post Office is an experience fo everyone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the most recognised companies across the UK.
    Well paid roles and company benefits.
    Vast amount of field areas, giving you choice.

ConsBecause areas branch off, communication can progress slowly.
    Jobs are most likely to be temporary or contract based, due to budget.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enterprise Architect

Architect (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFuture growth and opportunities are good

ConsIts difficult move up the ladder

Highly variable, but good experience

Counter Clerk (Current Employee) Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

ProsThe job can be excellent on your CV - it requires a great deal of trust considering the levels of cash and personal information that you handle every day. It's also excellent experience for a job in the public sector - as a true street level bureaucrat you get an eye opening insight into the daily problems of some of the poorest people in society

ConsMost Post Offices are franchises, and therefore pay and working conditions are highly variable. Some offices place very strict rules on your interactions with customers, requiring you to try and push possibly inappropriate products onto customers which quickly becomes tiring for customers and staff alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just gather feedback from Crowm Office employees and Franchisees - ask the staff working in franchise offices their opinions too. You might learn something.

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Allahabad (India)

ProsFor security of future........Govt. job also.

ConsI have a degree of B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering but worked as Office assistant so i want to use my skill with best..

Fantastic Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCompetitive Salary, Bonus Package, Pensions, Car Allowance, Healthcare, Employee Satisfaction

ConsHierarchical, It takes ages to make any decisions as you have to satisfy all stakeholders interest

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower staff and workforce, flat structure, staff members shouldn't be hesitant on making decisions, retain skill set and reduce number of contractors

Not a great place to be

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery, VERY nice people - super polite and ultra-genteel... lots of holding doors open.
    Sensible hours (sometimes!) and ok to leave early / work from home if needed.

ConsShambolic management. No leadership. No clear strategy. Processes are a farce and project managers are slapped for trying to make a square process fit into a round reality.
    Very uncaring - which is pretty shocking. The polite veneer hides quite a two-faced and sly political undercurrent

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some balls! Show some leadership. Recognise the reality and support people instead of putting your heads in the sand - it's a MESS on the ground, come down here and see.

Good Company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay and the overall atmosphere is great.

ConsNothing at all I would say that I didnt like.

Advice to Senior ManagementCouldnt do a better job.

ok

Prosworking otside, stress free and keep fit

Conspoor leadership, and not good management

Worked for Post Office? Contribute to the Community!